Hurricane Matthew Report

Stores are open and well stocked in the Bahamas but cleaned out in South Carolina. Just an observation. It seems that a cold front might be in place just as the storm approaches the U.S. The weather channels won't talk about it because they are afraid to predict good news.

I'm in Melbourne, Florida and our Gov. had already declared an emergency.

Shelters will be open and of course those who protect and serve won't be with their families they will have to be available to help idiots who can't take care of themselves.

I've been through quite a few hurricanes and don't waste time thinking about something I have no control over.
Uh! No. I heard Gov. Scott say that during the storm first responders will not be available to bail the unprepared out. With this much advance notice there is no excuse to not make plans.

Stores are open and well stocked in the Bahamas but cleaned out in South Carolina. Just an observation. It seems that a cold front might be in place just as the storm approaches the U.S. The weather channels won't talk about it because they are afraid to predict good news.
South Carolina remembers Hugo.

Shelters will be open and of course those who protect and serve won't be with their families they will have to be available to help idiots who can't take care of themselves.

I've been through quite a few hurricanes and don't waste time thinking about something I have no control over.
Uh! No. I heard Gov. Scott say that during the storm first responders will not be available to bail the unprepared out. With this much advance notice there is no excuse to not make plans.

Ah yes. The Sheriff's Department I work for and I'm sure all LEO in the State will be at shelters all across the State.

The first responder EMS probably won't be available but all LEO's will be. They won't be spending time taking care of their families. They will be spending that time taking care of idiots who can't take care of themselves.

We are on the coast of Georgia. Very worried about this storm. IF we have to evacuate we can go to my moms on the panhandle. Thank god we dont have to worry about a hotel
Alright, well my home is open to you too - we're further inland (Georgia) and have plenty of room. Just send me an email here and I'll send you our phone number so we can give you directions.
aw thanks for the offer .. But my mom lives outside Pensacola and I have a friend in New Orleans. i have 3 dogs and my son has two cats( he doesnt live with us LOL)

We are on the coast of Georgia. Very worried about this storm. IF we have to evacuate we can go to my moms on the panhandle. Thank god we dont have to worry about a hotel
Alright, well my home is open to you too - we're further inland (Georgia) and have plenty of room. Just send me an email here and I'll send you our phone number so we can give you directions.
aw thanks for the offer .. But my mom lives outside Pensacola and I have a friend in New Orleans. i have 3 dogs and my son has two cats( he doesnt live with us LOL)
your welcome - we are praying for God's protection over you and your loved ones including the furry ones!

It wasn't a super storm. Maybe for you people, but we deal with storm surges all the time and we don't call them "super storms." Andrew came in with 140mph winds, Rita 135 Ike 125. We didn't talk about those storms combined as much as the northeast talked about their tropical storm.

Just because the northeast wasn't adequately prepared for the storm doesn't make the storm super, it makes the people stupid. Look at Florida, they're already preparing for Matthew. Good for them. They respect hurricanes, people in the northeast don't. People in the northeast stood there like a deer in the headlights with that thing coming straight at them. They had no idea what to do to prepare.

Maybe they will now.
285 people perished during Super Storm Sandy. It was no small storm.

Ah yes. The Sheriff's Department I work for and I'm sure all LEO in the State will be at shelters all across the State.

The first responder EMS probably won't be available but all LEO's will be. They won't be spending time taking care of their families. They will be spending that time taking care of idiots who can't take care of themselves.
Be careful out there, Claudette. We'll be praying for your Sheriff's department LEO's.

It wasn't a super storm. Maybe for you people, but we deal with storm surges all the time and we don't call them "super storms." Andrew came in with 140mph winds, Rita 135 Ike 125. We didn't talk about those storms combined as much as the northeast talked about their tropical storm.

Just because the northeast wasn't adequately prepared for the storm doesn't make the storm super, it makes the people stupid. Look at Florida, they're already preparing for Matthew. Good for them. They respect hurricanes, people in the northeast don't. People in the northeast stood there like a deer in the headlights with that thing coming straight at them. They had no idea what to do to prepare.

Maybe they will now.
285 people perished during Super Storm Sandy. It was no small storm.

Sure they perished because they didn't know what to do or where to go. Here in Florida we go through hurricanes quite a bit and believe me we all know how to prepare.

Those in the Northeast do not and it shows and that's why there were so many deaths.

CNN just posted this report a few minutes ago:

Hurricane Matthew: Evacuations begin as deadly storm nears - CNN.com

(CNN)[Breaking news update at 12:22 p.m. ET]

Hurricane Matthew weakened slightly as it headed to the Bahamas on Wednesday.
As of late Wednesday morning, Matthew was hurling 120-mph (193 kph) winds, the National Hurricane Center said. It was about 105 miles (165 kilometers) south of Long Island, Bahamas, and was moving northwest at 12 mph.
[Breaking news update at 12:04 p.m. ET]
President Barack Obama warned Americans in the path of Hurricane Matthew to pay attention and take any evacuation orders seriously. He said if the core of the storm strikes Florida, it could have a "devastating effect."
[Breaking news update at 11:27 a.m. ET]
Hurricane Matthew could make landfall in the United States on Friday morning on Florida's east coast, CNN meteorologist Dave Hennen said.
[Previous story, published at 11:05 a.m.]
Hurricane Matthew likely won't strike the US for another day -- but after seeing itsdeadly, devastating impact in the Caribbean, authorities are urging residents to get ready.
"I cannot emphasize enough that everyone in our state must prepare now for a direct hit," Florida Gov. Rick Scott said Wednesday.
"That means people have less than 24 hours to prepare, evacuate and shelter. Having a plan in place could mean the difference between life and death."
Matthew hurled winds of 125 mph as it churned toward the Bahamas on Wednesday. Forecasters predict it will strengthen to a Category 4 hurricane by the time it pummels Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina sometime between Thursday evening and Saturday.
161004002245-hurricane-matthew-caribbean-javaheri-lkvl-00000716-medium-plus-169.jpg

Hurricane Matthew hits Haiti, aims at US East Coast 01:45
The National Hurricane Center said the storm could make landfall in any of those states.
It's not just Florida's governor giving dire warnings. South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley has given evacuation orders for the coastal counties of Charleston and Beaufort starting at 3 p.m. Wednesday.

He's not the boss of local firefighters, etc.

He's not the boss of local firefighters, etc.
That snake-man Governor of Florida is evacuating the coast.

Of course he is. The barrier islands, Merritt Island and the beaches. Mandatory evacuations. He has common sense which you lack.

Sorry to hear this.

I hope it veers away from Florida.

So do I. Been watching it and it appears like it will brush the Florida coast. Of course these hurricanes can change course but the jet stream is pushing it away from Florida. Sure hope it doesn't hit us in Florida.

Good luck !

Thanks. Many will need it as it seems the outer edge will hit most of Florida.

This is what the LORD spoke to my heart a few moments ago. Tell my people to call on My Name and I will protect them!

Hurricane Matthew is the most powerful hurricane in a generation according to this report.

Matthew Is the Most Powerful Atlantic Hurricane in a Generation. Here’s What You Need to Know. - The Equation

UPDATE (October 5, 5:20 p.m.): The latest update from NOAA has new predictions for rainfall and storm surge and warns of the danger and possibility of life-threatening inundation during the next 36 hours along the Florida east coast from Deerfield Beach to the Flagler/Volusia county line, and during the next 48 hours from north of the Flagler/Volusia county line to the Savannah River. Learn more.

It is hard to pull one’s eyes away from the images of Haiti in the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew. If one needed proof that we live in an indifferent universe, that broken land and its suffering people caught in a new, unfolding catastrophe should suffice.

But even as we watch disaster grip Haiti, reports are beginning to flow of a potential U.S. East Coast landfall and mandatory evacuations. Our coastal communities, while so well-resourced and resilient in comparison to Haiti, are still woefully unprepared for major storms. They now need to mobilize for Hurricane Matthew.

Hurricanes are getting increasingly destructive
Through the fog of presidential politics that has enveloped the media, news of this storm is beginning to reach people and disrupt lives and plans. I for one was at the airport, ready to board a flight to Florida to participate in a climate conference, when I received the news that the conference was likely going to be canceled, and that I should not travel. This is how fast this storm developed.

Matthew turned from a tropical storm into a Category 5 hurricane in just 36 hours, mainly fueled by warmer than average waters. According to Climate Signals, as of October 3, Matthew was the longest-lived Category 4-5 hurricane and had generated the most Accumulated Cyclone Energy (or ACE, a measurement that expresses the activity and destructive potential of individual tropical cyclones and entire tropical cyclone seasons) in the eastern Caribbean of any Atlantic hurricane on record.

______
I don't believe in Climate Change but I found the story to be very interesting.

Interesting point about the empty shelves in stores, Whitehall. Look how fast the shelves became empty. It is clear that the American people should not be waiting until the last minute to be prepared for a disaster. The time to be prepared is before a disaster strikes. Long before.

Forum List

Back