Humans show mate copying after observing real mate choices

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
Abstract
When searching for a mate, one must gather information to determine the mate value of potential partners. By focusing on individuals
who have been previously chosen by others, one's selection of mates can be influenced by another's successful search—a phenomenon
known as mate copying. We show mate copying in humans with a novel methodology that closely mimics behavioral studies with nonhuman
animals. After observing instances of real mating interest in video recordings of speed-dates, both male and female participants show
mate copying effects of heightened short-term and long-term relationship interest towards individuals in dates they perceived as successful.
Furthermore, the relative attractiveness of observers and observed plays a mediating role
http://www.larspenke.eu/pdfs/Place_Todd_Penke_Asendorpf_in_press_-_Mate_copying.pdf

Guys, ever notice that if you're single, the wimmen stay away from you? "Oh he must be a loser since he can't find a woman" they'll say.

But as soon as you find a steady girl, or get married (yeah I know, that's old fashioned) you get all sorts of attention. We just called that "wimmen wanting what they can't have".

The best thing a man can do is to show no interest in a girl. She'll think to herself; "Why isn't he interested in me?" and then do everything possible to get your attention.

Best thing a man can do is to not look eager or desperate, wimmen will just peg you as a loser. You gotta' act like you don't care, which is hard when a real hot woman walks by but you gotta' do it. Believe me, it works every time.

I admire the authors of the scientific paper for their efforts in attempting to measure and quantify a phenomena that is prevalent in society. I believe that what they are studying is related to the perceived sexual attractiveness of men and women who make an attempt to resemble popular entertainers. For example, Marilyn Monroe was perceived as sexually desirable for a large number of men. So a young woman cultivates a Marilyn Monroe look and attitude in the hopes of emulating her success. In a similar vein, a young man seeks a relationship with this Marilyn Monroe clone because of her resemblance to a movie star that glamorous and successful men found very attractive in the context of the motion pictures that she appeared in.

Abstract
When searching for a mate, one must gather information to determine the mate value of potential partners. By focusing on individuals
who have been previously chosen by others, one's selection of mates can be influenced by another's successful search—a phenomenon
known as mate copying. We show mate copying in humans with a novel methodology that closely mimics behavioral studies with nonhuman
animals. After observing instances of real mating interest in video recordings of speed-dates, both male and female participants show
mate copying effects of heightened short-term and long-term relationship interest towards individuals in dates they perceived as successful.
Furthermore, the relative attractiveness of observers and observed plays a mediating role
http://www.larspenke.eu/pdfs/Place_Todd_Penke_Asendorpf_in_press_-_Mate_copying.pdf

Wow.

A study that deliberately set out to find something managed to find it. I wonder why I am not surprised?

Forum List

Back