How the crazy right became the new normal

Plasmaball

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2010
How the media has helped normalize GOP crazy - The Washington Post

So ideological extremism and insane conspiracy theories from the right have been normalized. Which means that when another Republican candidate says something deranged, as long as it doesn’t offend a key swing constituency, reporters don’t think it’s disqualifying. And so it isn’t.

Its a blog and thus an opinion piece, but it sums up why the crazy right and partially crazy left have become the norm and why the media is to blame for it.
i don't totally blame the media though. I blame government and the people for allowing it as normal.

I understand most of you won't be able to get past blaming the left or bring them up as some sort of deflection.

So ideological extremism and insane conspiracy theories from the right have been normalized. Which means that when another Republican candidate says something deranged, as long as it doesn’t offend a key swing constituency, reporters don’t think it’s disqualifying. And so it isn’t.

Its a blog and thus an opinion piece, but it sums up why the crazy right and partially crazy left have become the norm and why the media is to blame for it.
i don't totally blame the media though. I blame government and the people for allowing it as normal.

I understand most of you won't be able to get past blaming the left or bring them up as some sort of deflection.
Geez, I'm glad you mentioned in was an opinion piece from a blog. For a second there I thought it was gospel.

What a bunch of crap.
And of course the subject line of the thread isnt borne out by the blog piece, the result of Scumball's ADHD kicking in.

The problem is when the crazies seize power. That is when "normal" equals bizarre. Crazies used to be laughed at and ignored. Now they are elected. The system could always handle the odd crazy who slipped through the cracks and was elected. But when they are elected in droves the nation as a whole suffers.

I believe that it was a (sane) rightwing minister who said that you don't reorganize the life of the village around the schedule of the local idiot or something to that effect. At the present time the village idiots in the House are dictating the agenda.

It is way past time that we started laughing at the village idiots again and got on with the job of organizing the village into some semblance of sanity again.

What a bunch of crap.
And of course the subject line of the thread isnt borne out by the blog piece, the result of Scumball's ADHD kicking in.

You mean....other than they share the same title and subject matter?

Wow the far left believing a far left blog site proving the words by showing how loyal they are to their crazy far left religion.

Beck said it himself ... He didn't know how fragile his listeners were ...

F-R-A-G-I-L-E

a nice word for simple minded.

A good measure of the extremism we see in congress is a direct result of Gerrymandering.

There's a reason that two thirds of the Pennsylvania vote this November will be cast for Democratic candidates and afterward the Republicans will easily rule the congressional delegation and the state legislature.

The state legislature which draws the district maps, by the way.

:rolleyes: Chumps. Every fucking one of us.

Gerrymander Art US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Radical House GOP made safe by gerrymandering - Video on NBCNews.com

The problem is when the crazies seize power. That is when "normal" equals bizarre. Crazies used to be laughed at and ignored. Now they are elected. The system could always handle the odd crazy who slipped through the cracks and was elected. But when they are elected in droves the nation as a whole suffers.

I believe that it was a (sane) rightwing minister who said that you don't reorganize the life of the village around the schedule of the local idiot or something to that effect. At the present time the village idiots in the House are dictating the agenda.

It is way past time that we started laughing at the village idiots again and got on with the job of organizing the village into some semblance of sanity again.

i agree that the crazies need to be laughed out and the media should be doing this. They arent because it makes for ratings. You are starting to see a lot of older conservatives starting to push away from these people.
I just read about a Reagan appointed judge who is doing this.

What a bunch of crap.
please this trend has been going on for awhile now....the internet gives all sorts of crazies a voice. Look at you as an example

as always i blame the far right and left.....and the so called "moderate" party people on both sides who wont tell them to go fuck themselves.....why?.....only they know....

Wow the far left believing a far left blog site proving the words by showing how loyal they are to their crazy far left religion.
he told you it was a blog....

A good measure of the extremism we see in congress is a direct result of Gerrymandering.

There's a reason that two thirds of the Pennsylvania vote this November will be cast for Democratic candidates and afterward the Republicans will easily rule the congressional delegation and the state legislature.

The state legislature which draws the district maps, by the way.

:rolleyes: Chumps. Every fucking one of us.

Gerrymander Art US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Radical House GOP made safe by gerrymandering - Video on NBCNews.com
yes well with some recent ruling we could see that being changed.

as always i blame the far right and left.....and the so called "moderate" party people on both sides who wont tell them to go fuck themselves.....why?.....only they know....
because for the most part people are busy running around with their lives too pay attention to politics. A perfect example would be Romney and how leading up to the election he would just reinvent himself because a new set of the population would start paying attention.

That article is a good summary.

Same shit as in here. We have so many complete whackadoodles on the right here that someone claiming that Obama WANTS to destroy the American health care delivery system isn't even noticed for nuttiness. That is considered tame. The idea that he'd WANT to fuck up something so important to all Americans is not soundly refuted. It is THANKED by people who don't see themselves as extreme.

Check yourselves, USMB nutters. You ain't got much room between you and the edge.

i agree that the crazies need to be laughed out and the media should be doing this. They arent because it makes for ratings. You are starting to see a lot of older conservatives starting to push away from these people.

As always it comes down to who is defining who and what is "crazy".

If you don't think Nancy Pelosi is a deranged idiot I'd judge you as "not all there"

If you don't think Nancy Pelosi is a deranged idiot I'd judge you as "not all there"

Nancy Pelosi is a weird, out of touch career politician. But...she is smarter than you and OBVIOUSLY has some ability to get what she wants.

I can't stand to watch her for more than a minute or two...she is affected and has a very objectionable speaking style. BUT.....I'd let her hold my wallet or babysit my kids. She isn't evil.

Try harder.

Nancy Pelosi is a weird, out of touch career politician. But...she is smarter than you and OBVIOUSLY has some ability to get what she wants.

I can't stand to watch her for more than a minute or two...she is affected and has a very objectionable speaking style. BUT.....I'd let her hold my wallet or babysit my kids. She isn't evil.

Try harder.

Didn't say she was evil,said she is a deranged idiot,and it stands.

Try harder.

Didn't say she was evil,said she is a deranged idiot,and it stands.

Isn't that great. Do you think she is honestly trying to do the best that she can for those in her district and the American people in general?

Answer after thinking, please.

Forum List

Back