How liberal are public schools? This liberal.

But gym was horrible torture for me. ..... And gym was torture.

I think this is the attitude that Congress must understand when it decides on rules for interrogating terrorists. If there are people who think gym class is torture, and go on and on about it for days, then there is no satisfying them when it comes to interrogation rules. This view of reality is extreme and unreasonable, and should simply be ignored.

It's not clear what made gym class torture. Was it the clothing? The competitive games? The calisthenics? Something else?

I enjoyed gym class, even though we wore maroon suits with snaps. It was a nice change from listening to teachers drone on about algebra. Perhaps being with all girls made it easier?

I agree. Except I'd say "learning and nothing else".

Phys Ed should be outlawed.

And every gym teacher should be sentenced to every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday from 1:20 to 2:35 in Hell.

Hmmm... so you're one of those fat kids that couldn't do anything.

I think Phy Ed should be mandatory and doubled. Kids are way to fat and lazy these days.

It's not clear what made gym class torture. Was it the clothing? The competitive games? The calisthenics? Something else?

I enjoyed gym class, even though we wore maroon suits with snaps. It was a nice change from listening to teachers drone on about algebra. Perhaps being with all girls made it easier?

we had co-ed PE....:clap:

I hated PE when in grammar school, I think NT and I had the same uniform, well no elastic at bottom or sleeves, but snapped down the front, one piece and not very comfortable.

I couldn't run fast, dunno why, though I could run long distance. I was on the swim team at the Y and speed skating team at an indoor rink, plenty fast in either. In 6th grade my mom signed me up for gymnastics at private club, I was a natural at just about 5' and under 90 lbs. In high school I joined gymnastics team and lettered my first two years, then I got a car...

Only thing I didn't like about gymin high school, were the lesbo gym teachers. One kept watching us take showers. We all learned to bring the towels in with us and keep them on while showering! :laugh:

we had co-ed PE....:clap:

So did we. I loved it. I did as much oogling at the girls as I could.

I was a wirey teen, and physical activity was a pleasure for me. I excelled at all of it. I had lots of energy and it felt good to burn it off. They initiated this "Presidents Physical Program", or something like that, back in the late sixties, early seventies, somewhere in there, and you had to do a minimum of things running, jumping, gymnastics, etc., to pass P.E.. I thought it was a breeze.

I looked forward to P.E. every day. I couldn't wait for gym. To me, it was an easy A for a class... :D

To address Abby's initial post, I'd tell my kid, "the next time they have a silence for faggots, stand up and go look out the window. Do not honor, recognize, or in any other way exalt homosexuality or lesbianism. It's a vile, deviant sickness of the brain, and is not deserving of any type of homage".

Only thing I didn't like about gymin high school, were the lesbo gym teachers. One kept watching us take showers. We all learned to bring the towels in with us and keep them on while showering! :laugh:

A known lesbian teaching girls P.E., OOGLING the girls taking a shower?! That does NOT sound good. How the hell was that allowed to happen?

A known lesbian teaching girls P.E.?! That does NOT sound good. How the hell was that allowed to happen?

Tenure. Big school, There were like 12 female pe teachers. There were two pairs out of that. They lived together. It was weird. Luckily none of those 4 were the gymnastics coach! She was probably 23, just out of college and engaged, she rocked!

Tenure. Big school, There were like 12 female pe teachers. There were two pairs out of that. They lived together. It was weird. Luckily none of those 4 were the gymnastics coach! She was probably 23, just out of college and engaged, she rocked!

That just too creepy. Lesbo's teaching "girls gym". It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure why they're there. It shouldn't be allowed. Might as well let a man teach it.

That just too creepy. Lesbo's teaching "girls gym". It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure why they're there. It shouldn't be allowed. Might as well let a man teach it.

One of the male gym teachers ended up divorcing his wife and marrying one of my classmates. :rolleyes: We were living in interesting times then too! Actually one of the highest ranked high schools in the country, though they like my kids' high school, require 100% of students to take ACT:

http://www.elmhurst205.org/

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache...ate&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a

Right, the Catholic Church teaches that 'practicing homosexuality' is wrong. On the other hand, did you notice the date that Abbey's daughter's school decided to give the moment of silence? :coffee3: Seems there might have been a more inclusive use of that silence...

On top of which I thought a moment of silence was prohibited due to it being too similar to school led prayer?

So government sanctioned prayer for Gays is now the accepted practice??????

On top of which I thought a moment of silence was prohibited due to it being too similar to school led prayer?

I don't know Bonnie. My youngest is now nearly 3 years out of high school, but they did have 'gay/lesbian tolerance day'. They also had a day to respect 'all religions', with the emphasis on Islam, no, I'm not kidding. There was a 'recognize Hispanic contributions day.' Needless to say, there were also 'Black Pride Day' and 'Diversity Makes Us Stronger Day'. To the best of my knowledge, these 'days' were sponsored by Student Government, not the administration.

You're wrong. My experience was probaly better than average.

Latch key kids are none of the schools business. Anything outside of school is none of the schools business.

I beg to differ. If your experience was "probably better than average," then the problem boils down to it being you.

I will again point out that as a military brat I attended 2-3 different schools a year, on average. My father's job dictated that we move a lot. I would venture to say I probably have a far better overall view of PE nationwide than you do, and I find neither of your accusations -- that PE was torture and gym teachers sadists -- to have any basis of fact to them at all.

There were always a few who didn't like it, but the vast majority of every PE class I attended in every school I attended them in enjoyed it.

You are allowing a personal problem on your part to affect your judgement of a subject you obviously have not researched objectively. The fact that you didn't like it doesn't make ME wrong.

And I didn't say that latch key kids were the school's business. I ventured an opinion from me, not the school.

You can pray and politic for anything abnormal you want. Just not Christianity, be proud you're white, or think any of the abnormal stuff is wrong.

After reading this thread, I am infinitely more grateful that I went to a private school during my more formative years. I even got out of PE in high-school due to a medical condition. :p:

I beg to differ. If your experience was "probably better than average," then the problem boils down to it being you.

I will again point out that as a military brat I attended 2-3 different schools a year, on average. My father's job dictated that we move a lot. I would venture to say I probably have a far better overall view of PE nationwide than you do, and I find neither of your accusations -- that PE was torture and gym teachers sadists -- to have any basis of fact to them at all.

There were always a few who didn't like it, but the vast majority of every PE class I attended in every school I attended them in enjoyed it.

You are allowing a personal problem on your part to affect your judgement of a subject you obviously have not researched objectively. The fact that you didn't like it doesn't make ME wrong.

And I didn't say that latch key kids were the school's business. I ventured an opinion from me, not the school.

I don't need to research it objectively.

Gym should be outlawed. Schools should teach, period.

It's a pretty sorry world when a kid has science once a week but gym twice a week, don't you think?

Gym traumatized me for life. I admit it. And I didn't even have it that bad. I shudder to think about what some of the kids that really got targeted feel like today.

I'm 47 years old and just thinking about gym class 35 years ago makes me cringe.

And I would say that my experience is much more common than yours. Just the fact that you did attend so many different schools is an indication that your school experience is not typical.

and the educational rationale for that (a moment of silence) is what?and this (philosophy and critical thinking skills) is to be taught in what 'required' classes? Not required? In morning announcements?

I think that a brief moment of silence would help children transition from time spent being hyper and playful to time to be serious. It would calm them down and prepare them for reading and study. No. I’m not a child psychologist.

I recommend a class in philosophy and critical thinking skills as an elective starting for students by age 15. In topic and issues where there is disagreement (support or opposition to the Iraq war, creationism or evolution, etc.) students should be provided with differing perspectives and encouraged to think for themselves. Young kids might be confused by the idea of seeing different sides of an issue (particularly if they were unfortunate enough to be OCA’s children or Pale Rider’s children) but I think that by age 15, they would be able to handle it.

Anyway, parents may disagree on curriculum. That’s why I think that education should be privatized and that school choice be supported.

I hated PE when in grammar school, I think NT and I had the same uniform, well no elastic at bottom or sleeves, but snapped down the front, one piece and not very comfortable.

I couldn't run fast, dunno why, though I could run long distance. I was on the swim team at the Y and speed skating team at an indoor rink, plenty fast in either. In 6th grade my mom signed me up for gymnastics at private club, I was a natural at just about 5' and under 90 lbs. In high school I joined gymnastics team and lettered my first two years, then I got a car...

I am starting to like you Kathianne...you were short I am short...you could not sprint but go the distance...I could sprint but needed help on distance...I am not gay but would love to see you in the shower...sorry could not resist the temptation...ask pale I am just a guy...can't help myself...as long as it falls within the norms...that is!...he he he!:beer: <<< a definete beer at the 'Bucket" for you!

Forum List

Back