How Kangaroos 'Talk' to Humans

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Anyone with a pet knows that a dog or cat will communicate with their person whether they want a toy, to eat, or some attention. But a new study finds this behavior isn’t limited to domestic animals. Kangaroos also can communicate with humans, particularly when they want something.

Researchers from the University of Roehampton and the University of Sydney worked with kangaroos in Australia that had never been domesticated. They found that kangaroos gazed at a human when trying to get food which had been put in a closed box.1

The animals communicated with humans using gazes instead of trying to open the box themselves.

The behavior, which is usually exhibited by domestic animals, was unexpected, researchers said.

A gaze or a warning look? Open the box or I will jump on your head. I wonder if the kangaroo would do the same thing if there was another animal (non-human) in there or try to give some other type of communication.

We had a mamma deer here for years that had definite looks of disgust at the dog my daughter brought when she would bark at her. For all the years previously our big baby Great Pyre would just watch her and her babies but never bark at her when she was up close to the house eating. Even wild rabbits were not afraid of that 200 lb dog.

One day I looked out to see what Beep was barking at and I saw mamma deer was right at the edge of the flower area eating fallen Mulberries. Then when Beep barked at her again she looked up and her facial expression was like, 'Can't you see I am busy eating dinner here?'

Almost all life communicates in some way, but only humans use language.

This one said, "You have really pissed me off, Bob."
1609294690750.png

Forum List

Back