How do you feel about employee evaluations?

I just had a really odd experience once upon a time. How do you feel about employee evaluations?

How often should they be done?
How useful are they to the company?
How useful are they to the employee?
How fun are they?

Just in general. What are your observations about the process?

Why, you a slacker or something?

In a company with corrupt lower or middle management they are useless. These people simply promote their friends and family regardless. And it is hard to find a company where the upper management keeps a close eye on middle management regarding such things.

In a company with corrupt lower or middle management they are useless. These people simply promote their friends and family regardless. And it is hard to find a company where the upper management keeps a close eye on middle management regarding such things.

Are they useful in small organizations? I have worked with smaller companies that never give employee evaluations.

Is it a formality demanded by investors just because it is the proper thing to do?

They're generally bulloney. I had a job for over nine years, same basic evaluation every year. For eight years, I got positive evaluations; there was room for improvement in some areas, which was instructive, and I generally improved by the following year. Then I got a different supervisor and doing the same job, with no change in the way I did my job, I got an extremely negative one. No subjectivity there, huh?

My favorite part is the "self-evaluation" they have you fill out beforehand. That is totally a waste of time and I've never understood what it was for.

They're generally bulloney. I had a job for over nine years, same basic evaluation every year. For eight years, I got positive evaluations; there was room for improvement in some areas, which was instructive, and I generally improved by the following year. Then I got a different supervisor and doing the same job, with no change in the way I did my job, I got an extremely negative one. No subjectivity there, huh?

My favorite part is the "self-evaluation" they have you fill out beforehand. That is totally a waste of time and I've never understood what it was for.

I have been working for 19 years and have only received 3 employee evaluations. I'm not sure what good they do. They just encourage you to pat yourself on the back for a few days or cry in the corner for a few days. The employer just sticks it in the file with the others.

They'll still give you a raise when you ask if they want to keep you around. They'll still deny your raise if they want you to leave.

A true evaluation comes when you ask for more money. Then you will know how they really feel about you. A middle manager who gives a good employee evaluation is going to get in a load of trouble. The bad employee evaluation is just a bargaining chip to keep wages low. Telling you that you suck is supposed to bully you into keeping your mouth shut even when you are grossly underpaid.

You must live here in El Paso TX........

I found this true working for a bureaucracy where upper management is totally disinterested in what middle management is doing, so long as the numbers look good. There is no one steering the ship in a bureaucracy.

The only thing I hate worse than employee evaluations is when you are forced to evaluate yourself....

I stay away from companies that glory in empty formalities like employee of the month or other such nonsense.

Many companies instruct their evaluations to give no more than a proficient rating, never a superior or an "oh wow."

It makes it harder, if an employee has superior ratings, to turn around and fire them for poor performance.

I found this true working for a bureaucracy where upper management is totally disinterested in what middle management is doing, so long as the numbers look good. There is no one steering the ship in a bureaucracy.

Yeah that's it, the upper management just looks at the numbers, if they are in line and THEY look good to THEIR superiors then they let middle management do whatever they want. Even if there are a few honest people in management they don't dare go against their VP, so they are defacto drawn into also being corrupt.

Yeah that's it, the upper management just looks at the numbers, if they are in line and THEY look good to THEIR superiors then they let middle management do whatever they want. Even if there are a few honest people in management they don't dare go against their VP, so they are defacto drawn into also being corrupt.

That falls under the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category. Everybody is a great employee until something turns to shit, and then it's time to find someone to blame.

Employee evaluations?

I don't give mine a formal report, but they all know how I value them. I always talk highly of them when talking to other people, too.

Employee evaluations?

I don't give mine a formal report, but they all know how I value them. I always talk highly of them when talking to other people, too.
One of the most important things a boss can do is stand behind their employees. That's awesome.

Employee evaluations?

Aren't you vulnerable to requests for higher pay? They know you like them. They'll start to expect more.

Bigger companies make sure their employees know how worthless they are. That reduces the potential for the awkward conversation of granting or denying a pay increase.

Forum List

Back