How difficult is it to change a car oil filter?

The most important thing is for the car not to be run recently, as the oil will probably be hot.

All the cars I've worked on have been made last century, so things may have changed since then, but draining the oil first is probably a universal must. Not doing so will make a mess of you and the surface you are working on.

I would advise at least one ramp, and if you don't have a creeper, you could probably get away with a slippery sheet of plastic, to slide under.

Also, if the work is to be done in an apartment complex, or a snooty neighborhood with a homeowners association, you should check with management/homeowners association, or do the work in a garage.

The most important thing is for the car not to be run recently, as the oil will probably be hot.
Good point.
It's a pain - in more ways than one - to do engine work within minutes of it being shut off.
I've found the best time to change oil is after the car has sat for 45 minutes to an hour, or less if the weather is cold.
It allows the oil to drain more quickly, since it's thinner than when it's overnight-cold.

Forum List

Back