Houston Employer Pays $125k For Racial Slurs

The law needs to be repealed.

What law? The 14th Amendment?

You might not have noticed, Lonestar but this employer ran a construction company. Do you want your son up on the roof of a building, his physical safety in the hands of a boss who has just called him a "terrorist" or a "fucking Mexican"?

Quite apart from the illegality of the employer's conduct, the animus it showed would make any reasonable person fear the same precautions would not be taken for him as for another employee the boss did not hurtle racial slurs at.

First of all you have no idea what goes on in a construction company of any kind. What physical harm is there in calling someone a name other than the fact you may get your ass whooped?

My son has thicker skin than that and doesn't react to childish, asinine name calling.

There is nothing illegal in being a bigot, if there was then you would be the first one thrown in jail.

Show me which part of the 14th Amendment states you cannot call your employee a name.

Section. 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Section. 2. Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.

Section. 3. No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

Section. 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

Section. 5. The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

You are trying to justify harassment using the first amendment and freedom of speech. Shit doesn't fly. Tough skin is for the silly little insults MTIs might throw at you at basic training, not being constantly called a "terrorist" when you're just trying to do your job.

Employers don't have many obligations besides paying an honest wage to their employees in this nation. Not harassing their employees is however one of those few obligations via the law.

It's bigots LIKE YOURSELF who won't admit it because if you did it'd put a dent in your "plight of the white man" whine-fest and for people like yourself and Tank to take responsability for the shit that comes out of your own mouths.

Fact is slavery is over bruh. You disrespect and harass slaves, not employees.

What law? The 14th Amendment?

You might not have noticed, Lonestar but this employer ran a construction company. Do you want your son up on the roof of a building, his physical safety in the hands of a boss who has just called him a "terrorist" or a "fucking Mexican"?

Quite apart from the illegality of the employer's conduct, the animus it showed would make any reasonable person fear the same precautions would not be taken for him as for another employee the boss did not hurtle racial slurs at.

First of all you have no idea what goes on in a construction company of any kind. What physical harm is there in calling someone a name other than the fact you may get your ass whooped?

My son has thicker skin than that and doesn't react to childish, asinine name calling.

There is nothing illegal in being a bigot, if there was then you would be the first one thrown in jail.

Show me which part of the 14th Amendment states you cannot call your employee a name.

Section. 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Section. 2. Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.

Section. 3. No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

Section. 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

Section. 5. The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

You are trying to justify harassment using the first amendment and freedom of speech. Shit doesn't fly. Tough skin is for the silly little insults MTIs might throw at you at basic training, not being constantly called a "terrorist" when you're just trying to do your job.

Employers don't have many obligations besides paying an honest wage to their employees in this nation. Not harassing their employees is however one of those few obligations via the law.

It's bigots LIKE YOURSELF who won't admit it because if you did it'd put a dent in your "plight of the white man" whine-fest and for people like yourself and Tank to take responsability for the shit that comes out of your own mouths.

Fact is slavery is over bruh. You disrespect and harass slaves, not employees.

I've never mentioned the first amendment so why are you making shit up?

Oh that's right that's what you idiots do.

If my employees don't like the way they are spoken to, they can find employment elsewhere. And that's what I don't get about this employer, he should have just fired the terrorist and been done with it.

Lonestar logic wrote:

Give me a break, Lonestar. Mebbe I dun know much about what it's like to work as a spy, but a construction worker's "job life" is hardly some big secret. There's a good reason the construction company gets hit with higher workers comp insurance rates than, say, a nail and hair salon.....construction can be dangerous.

I did not say the name-calling itself caused a physical injury. I said a reasonable person subjected to such language might fear the person saying these things would also be careless with his safety. It is worth noting the Muslim employee was also fired -- another injury, and likely how the EEOC measured his damages.

I'm happy to hear your son turned out well. My kidlet would ignore name-calling as well unless -- and this is a big one, try to pay attention here -- it happened in a setting where she had a legal right to demand that it stop. My kidlet is a world beater and would file with the EEOC faster than you can say "Bob's your uncle" if her rights were infringed on, or if she saw a coworker's rights infringed on.

There's certainly nothing at all illegal about being a bigot. I never said there was. What goes on in any American's mind is between him and his conscience....but when he acts out those bigotted 'tudes in the wrong place, wham-o, he gets tagged for it.

I have no clue why you think I'm a bigot. Care to elaborate? That's a hellaish thing to call someone. If you choose not to address this, I'm going to assume you were just unable to think of another insult to hurl at me. Let me supply some for next time: bitch, asshole, shithead. Hope that helps.

The 14th Amendment says no level of US government can deprive anyone of equal protection under the law. The law itself regarding hostile workplace and racial/religious discrimination is federal, mebbe a complimentary state law. Is this news to you, Lonestar?

Nothing new. Hostile work environments are a big no-no.

I had to attend about 20 hours worth of boring seminars, lectures and workshops on the subject in my field. AND have to get re-certified every year by taking some boneheaded quiz online with supposed real life scenarios. Takes about an hour.

I'm not stupid enough to call someone a worthless dick-drip around the office. Thats why I have USMB.

Tailhook '91 was fun....we ended up with oodles of workshops over that one.

Lonestar logic wrote:

Give me a break, Lonestar. Mebbe I dun know much about what it's like to work as a spy, but a construction worker's "job life" is hardly some big secret. There's a good reason the construction company gets hit with higher workers comp insurance rates than, say, a nail and hair salon.....construction can be dangerous.

I did not say the name-calling itself caused a physical injury. I said a reasonable person subjected to such language might fear the person saying these things would also be careless with his safety. It is worth noting the Muslim employee was also fired -- another injury, and likely how the EEOC measured his damages.

I'm happy to hear your son turned out well. My kidlet would ignore name-calling as well unless -- and this is a big one, try to pay attention here -- it happened in a setting where she had a legal right to demand that it stop. My kidlet is a world beater and would file with the EEOC faster than you can say "Bob's your uncle" if her rights were infringed on, or if she saw a coworker's rights infringed on.

There's certainly nothing at all illegal about being a bigot. I never said there was. What goes on in any American's mind is between him and his conscience....but when he acts out those bigotted 'tudes in the wrong place, wham-o, he gets tagged for it.

I have no clue why you think I'm a bigot. Care to elaborate? That's a hellaish thing to call someone. If you choose not to address this, I'm going to assume you were just unable to think of another insult to hurl at me. Let me supply some for next time: bitch, asshole, shithead. Hope that helps.

The 14th Amendment says no level of US government can deprive anyone of equal protection under the law. The law itself regarding hostile workplace and racial/religious discrimination is federal, mebbe a complimentary state law. Is this news to you, Lonestar?

Spoken like a true liberal idiot.

Your kid sounds like a wimp that needs to "man up"

I had to attend about 20 hours worth of boring seminars, lectures and workshops on the subject in my field. AND have to get re-certified every year by taking some boneheaded quiz online with supposed real life scenarios. Takes about an hour.

I'm not stupid enough to call someone a worthless dick-drip around the office. Thats why I have USMB.

Wish I could have been there. :D

Lonestar logic wrote:

Spoken like a true liberal idiot.

Your kid sounds like a wimp that needs to "man up"

I have a daughter, so no, she does not need to "man up". If your child wouldn't have the balls to fight for his rights or the rights of his coworkers, I find that sad. Mine does.

Radioman, you have to wash the kitchen floor as penance for saying this. Go now, and I mean a rag and bucket, mister. No mops for you, you flagrant PC violator.

*Laughs*

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m97WmDZFkA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m97WmDZFkA[/ame]

Why, yes, all of that.

It's one of the things that motivated me to go to law school, in fact.

I'd like to start a career focusing on reverse discrimination cases. I think that this actually an UNDER-litigated area of American law. Only a tiny percentage of the whites who suffer discrimination actually sue. If I can persuade the rest to, then I'd be rich.

Why, yes, all of that.

I'd like to start a career focusing on reverse discrimination cases. I think that this actually an UNDER-litigated area of American law. Only a tiny percentage of the whites who suffer discrimination actually sue. If I can persuade the rest to, then I'd be rich.

:cool:

I ♥ new lawyers who are driven by a quest for justice, William Joyce. Are you in law school now?

I wonder if Mr. Lonestar_logic considers William Joyce a wimp and a sensitive cry baby.

Or does he consider him a champion of the oppressed white man's cause?

I have a guess regarding what he says on the thread, and what he actually thinks in his head.

I'll wait for the reply.:cool:

Why, yes, all of that.

:cool:

I started law school just itching to represent juvenile deliquents. It is far more difficult to position yourself to handle the sort of cases you wish than law students realize. As it turns out, I am unsuited to represent criminals in criminal court.....I prefer to do so in civil court, LOL.

William Joyce might be able to open a one man shop, pay to advertise and wait for the phone to ring....but that is very rare. Most new lawyers are someone else's employee and have to do as they are told.

I ♥ new lawyers who are driven by a quest for justice, William Joyce. Are you in law school now?

I wonder if Mr. Lonestar_logic considers William Joyce a wimp and a sensitive cry baby.

Or does he consider him a champion of the oppressed white man's cause?

I have a guess regarding what he says on the thread, and what he actually thinks in his head.

I'll wait for the reply.:cool:

irony-meter.gif

Radioman, you have to wash the kitchen floor as penance for saying this. Go now, and I mean a rag and bucket, mister. No mops for you, you flagrant PC violator.

*Laughs*

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m97WmDZFkA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m97WmDZFkA[/ame]

I just finished washing the kitchen floor. Truly.

Of course, it's because the dishwasher overspilled with soap bubbles, because my children decided that they could use just a wee bit of dish soap in the dishwasher.

Forum List

Back