Holding Hands. What do you think?

Asclepias

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2013
Breathing rarified air.
2 Mesa students forced to hold hands as punishment for fighting

Two East Valley high school students were forced to hold hands in front of their classmates as punishment this week for fighting.
Now that punishment is drawing criticism.

The students at Westwood High in Mesa were apparently given the option to hold hands instead of being suspended.

Read more: 2 Mesa students forced to hold hands as punishment for fighting

Does this encourage homophobic behavior or is this a good move on the part of the principal to stop fights?

Homophobia encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT). It can be expressed as antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, or hatred, may be based on irrational fear, and is sometimes related to religious beliefs.

Last edited:
I would expect the lawsuits to come from the parents of a homosexual student at the school who feels his/her/etc. lifestyle is being mocked by this form of 'punishment.'

The two kids who were fighting are probably laughing at getting by with no punishment.

I don't think this was a bad idea, just a mimor change though. I would have had them extend their right hands as in a handshake for holding rather than "holding hands as in a romantic relationship.

If you do the crime, you must do the crime. Teenagers see wavering from standard punishments as a sign of weakness and are emboldened.

Well, had they been forced to kiss and apologize in front of the student body, I doubt that they would have ever fought on school property again.

People getting their panties in a knot for no reason at all.

I don't think this was a bad idea, just a mimor change though. I would have had them extend their right hands as in a handshake for holding rather than "holding hands as in a romantic relationship.

I know what you mean. Good point. Reminds me of what my drill did in basic with these 2 guys that had gotten into a fight. They never liked each other but they never got into a fight again.

Last edited:

Two East Valley high school students were forced to hold hands in front of their classmates as punishment this week for fighting.

The students at Westwood High in Mesa were apparently given the option to hold hands instead of being suspended.

Does this encourage homophobic behavior or is this a good move on the part of the principal to stop fights?

I like the idea. The power of touch is underestimated by most people. The principle may realize it, though.

I also like Jackson's response.

Is that a serious question?

Did you read the article?

Make them look each other in the eye, shake hands and apologize.

Hold hands? That could make them feel awkward and resent the other more.

Normal boys get into fights.....that's natural.

So why have them act like queers and hold hands?

That's a really perverted punishment......... :doubt:

Or Muslim?
Isnt hand holding by men in Eastern Cultures viewed as a sign of respect?
Didn't Bush hold the King of Saudi Arabia's hand? I don't think either are gay.
So you are first a homophobe? Not a Muslim?

The Principal did nothing wrong, which is probably why 200 students stood up for me. It's not his fault Americans like to put everything into a box.
He wasn't shaming them by making them do something sexual. He was probably trying to get them to respect each other.

Well, had they been forced to kiss and apologize in front of the student body, I doubt that they would have ever fought on school property again.

People getting their panties in a knot for no reason at all.

you ever around kids that age Rocks?.....that Principal just made things worse for those too guys...

I also read the question, which is why I asked if you where serious.

Here is the problem I see with the question.

Is a good is it a good move? It is if you want kids to be monkeys.

Does it promote homophobia? There is nothing homophobic about mocking people who are forced to hold hands as a punishment. I am quite sure that students would laugh just as hard if it had been a boy and a girl fighting because, unlike you, I remember being a teenager, and even remember my anthropology classes. Being a teenager in high school is remarkably like being a monkey in a zoo. There is a pecking order, and the only way to become socially accepted is to pick on others who are beneath you. If you ever watch the monkeys at a zoo you might see one monkey getting the crap beat out of him, and him turning around and passing the same treatment down the shit pile.

By the way, mocking gays is not homophobia either, but that is another example of your stupidity that has nothing to do with this thread.

I also read the question, which is why I asked if you where serious.

Here is the problem I see with the question.

Does it promote homophobia? There is nothing homophobic about mocking people who are forced to hold hands as a punishment. I am quite sure that students would laugh just as hard if it had been a boy and a girl fighting because, unlike you, I remember being a teenager, and even remember my anthropology classes. Being a teenager in high school is remarkably like being a monkey in a zoo. There is a pecking order, and the only way to become socially accepted is to pick on others who are beneath you. If you ever watch the monkeys at a zoo you might see one monkey getting the crap beat out of him, and him turning around and passing the same treatment down the shit pile.

By the way, mocking gays is not homophobia either, but that is another example of your stupidity that has nothing to do with this thread.

I see you didn't read the article. Go back and read it and you will find out why I asked the question dipshit.

Is this a serious question? I ask because it seems you were drunk when you asked it. WTF does that even mean?

Forum List

Back