Hitler and Jesse Owens

Came across this article, it was interesting and I learned a few things. It’s a shame Owens wasn’t invited to the White House in order to please racist DEMOCRATS

Since the Dems were in charge, and many of the Corporate Bigots were busy bailing out on FDR to the Republican Party through donations and promises, sounds to me like neither party would have given him a warm welcome.

Came across this article, it was interesting and I learned a few things. It’s a shame Owens wasn’t invited to the White House in order to please racist DEMOCRATS

Here's the thing, no one at the time thought what Jesse Owens did was a big deal. The Nazis got what they wanted out of the 1936 Olympics, the legitimization and glorification of their regime. The west didn't have a problem with the Nazis in 1936, they kind of liked that Hitler was keeping Stalin in check.

That's how Hitler got away with as much as he did for as long as he did. "Not Being Stalin".

When Owens got back, he was reduced to menial jobs, and a lot his fame didn't pan out until much later.

LATER, when we realized the awful things the Nazis did, then the narrative of a black man beating Hitler's chosen athletes became useful propaganda. And a lot of black people signed up (although most had to be drafted) to fight him on the hope that when they did, THIS country might change some of it's goofy laws.

1. It is very sad that FDR did not invite Mr. Owens to the White House or acknowledge the feats of African American athletes. That's how it was in the 1930s.

2. I have read, however, this Mrs. Franklin Roosevelt was very much respected by African Americans, and that Ms. Eleanor considered as a close friend Ms. Mary McLeod Bethune, who was referred to as the "Female Booker T. Washington."

3. Speaking of whom, it was President Theodore Roosevelt who braved criticism by having Dr. Washington as a guest at the White House, where they shared a meal together. And that was in 1901. Just a few years after the Supreme Court allowed de jure segregation in the South.

4. I think that the ethnic situation in our country would be much better today if the ethnicity under consideration had more leaders of the caliber of Mr. Owens, Ms. Bethune, and Dr. Washington.

Well, Theodore Roosevelt was the first president to invite a black to the White House for dinner. Booker T. Washington. He also fought for Social Security, which the Conservatives wouldn't take up. He created our National Parks, National Forests and Wildlife Refuges. It's absurd that the mob wants his statue down, however, it's not so much him they want down, it's any white person represented and after the statues of whites are all gone, they'll be going after the actual whites, including their own stupid whites joining in with them.

NOT TRUE! HITLER DID SHAKE HANDS WITH JESSE OWEN.

Much as I detest Hitler and everything he stood for it is simply a lie to say he never shook hands with Owen.
Like everyone else I thought this to be the case until I watched a BBC interview with Jeffrey Quill who during WWII was Britain's No 1 Test Flight Pilot. He said he attended the 1936 Games and was asked to be part of the team presenting the medals. He said he was stood just a few yards away from Hitler and Owen and said he clearly saw Hitler shake Owens hand.
I also saw an interview with Owen that took place years after the games. The reporter asked Owen how he felt about Hitler snubbing him and he looked a little embarrassed, looking way he said:- "Eh, O well he's dead now I'm still here!" and did not sound too convincing.
Lots of athletes won medals from many countries that Hitler would have considered Non Aryan and sub human but he still shook their hands.

Who speaks about Jesse Owens in the Olympics 1936 under Hitler should also speak about Lutz Long.

luz-long-1936.jpg

Two totally normal sportsmen in a mad time. And with "mad time" I do not think only about my homeland Germany in this days. For Jesse Owens was his homeland, the USA, also a mad land.

Hitler was by the way very angry about Jesse Owens, because the people in Berlin loved him.

We Germans got a gold medal, the Americans three - two by negroes. That's a shame; the white mankind had to be ashamed.
Goebbels

When I came back, after all those stories about Hitler and his snub, I came back to my native country, and I could not ride in the front of the bus. I had to go to the back door. I couldn't live where I wanted. Now what's the difference?
Jesse Owens

Last edited:

Forum List

Back