Hate Crime Bill Set to Pass?

I believe you nailed it with the "hero". I don't think any of us really wanted to believe that he could have done such a thing, and race had nothing to do with it.

That was pretty much my feeling on the subject. But people who are racist (regardless of what race they are part of) see the world through a very narrow prism.

funny.. I didn't see that you applied your "people shouldnt be be judged by their race and religion" to israel...

talk about narrow.

Last edited:
What the world needs more of, by all means, is attorneys.

It's a terrible way to make a living. I could wish for nothing better for Nik to experience.

Have a nice life Nik. :lol:

Why do you think it's a terrible way to make a living? I've had good jobs and bad, but in general, I've found it pretty interesting.

And there are far worse ways to make a living.

Well, of course, my personal experience (some of which was doing what Nik is about to do). But, after all, that was rather limited, in the vast scheme of things.

So, additional info that goes into that analysis. You ever look at every lawyer's job satisfaction survey that's come out in the last 20 years? Ever look at the number of lawyers that say they would love to be doing something else if they could? Pretty high percentage. And remember, some were lying to themselves because of all the time, effort and money that was put in to getting them where they are today.

Third, as a somewhat disinterested observer for the last 15 years of law firm interactions in all types of law firms. I've worked in the offices of the number one patent prosecution firm. (No, I won't say). I've seen how associates and even partners are treated. I've seen large and small dirt law firms. "Real law" firms....lol...that practice grind it out local law. I haven't seen too many people that were happy doing what they do every day.

If you had a burning desire to practice law and you've maintained it through to today, congratulations. You are one of the few. But, high lawyer job satisfaction is neither my experience nor my observation.

COLOR="Red"]symbolism? no, but it's not good law, IMO.[/COLOR]

I don't know. Having seen what "hate crimes " have done a la pogroms, nazis, lynchings, beatings of gays... I'd say I'm grateful for those kinds of laws. Different perspective, I guess.

ut that is the same as proclaiming that crimes fueled by other types of bias, or by motives having nothing to do with bias, are not quite as awful.

and society doesn't respond now? i'm sorry, i think this is a bad idea; the apotheosis of "feel good" legislation.

FWIW, i feel the same way about the death penalty for killing a police officer.

Again, I think some loser who thinks they can victimize someone for their race, religion or sexuality needs a little extra deterrance.

At least you're consistent as far as the police officer goes. But I'm ok with that, too.... albeit in the confines of my own questions about the death penalty.

I'm not sure I understand your rationale. Presuming that you're anti-death penalty (correct?), and the death penalty is supposed to be a deterrent, how is that different than the "extra deterrence" you'd like to see for "hate crimes"?

It's a terrible way to make a living. I could wish for nothing better for Nik to experience.

Have a nice life Nik. :lol:

Why do you think it's a terrible way to make a living? I've had good jobs and bad, but in general, I've found it pretty interesting.

And there are far worse ways to make a living.

Well, of course, my personal experience (some of which was doing what Nik is about to do). But, after all, that was rather limited, in the vast scheme of things.

So, additional info that goes into that analysis. You ever look at every lawyer's job satisfaction survey that's come out in the last 20 years? Ever look at the number of lawyers that say they would love to be doing something else if they could? Pretty high percentage. And remember, some were lying to themselves because of all the time, effort and money that was put in to getting them where they are today.

Third, as a somewhat disinterested observer for the last 15 years of law firm interactions in all types of law firms. I've worked in the offices of the number one patent prosecution firm. (No, I won't say). I've seen how associates and even partners are treated. I've seen large and small dirt law firms. "Real law" firms....lol...that practice grind it out local law. I haven't seen too many people that were happy doing what they do every day.

If you had a burning desire to practice law and you've maintained it through to today, congratulations. You are one of the few. But, high lawyer job satisfaction is neither my experience nor my observation.

Lots and lots of attorneys are unhappy doing what they do. Its a demanding job. But lots of people went to law school because they didn't know what else they wanted to do, or went because they liked the money potential. Those two reasons are a recipe for unhappiness.

I was aware of all of this going in. But I have a get out of jail free card. Many of the top schools have programs that pay back your loans after you do public interest for x number of years. I happen to go to one of those schools. So essentially, my education is paid for after a number of years in public service work. Aside from that, I already have a job that I get paid obscenely well for, to do work that I know I definitely enjoy. So whatever happens, I'm in a pretty good spot.

As for the hell of law school, if you go to a top school, its not. Not if you merely want to do average. I have no desire, nor a need, to work myself to the bone to get A's. And so I merely skate by with average grades, and instead I fill my time with enjoying the city I live in, my girlfriend, and my (paying) job that I've maintained throughout law school.

Of course. Knowledge is terrifying to people like you.

if you didn't understand the humor in that, then yes, it is scary that YOU are in lawschool and might pass a state bar...

Generally people don't find it humorous to find themselves mocked.

do you think you're better or more intelligent than me because you are in lawschool?

No, but I do think I am more intelligent than you based on your inability to reason.

But good job at admitting you don't know what the hell you are talking about. First sign of honesty I've seen from you so far.

True. You have an advantage over me in the "unemployed know-nothing" category. Yay you! It's been a long time since I was an unemployed college student just starting out in the world.

And since that time, I've worked with more criminals, guns, homicides, robberies, aggravated assaults, weapons offenses, murderers, rapists, and thugs than you will probably EVER deal with, unless you become a prosecutor.

Last edited:
Of course. Knowledge is terrifying to people like you.

if you didn't understand the humor in that, then yes, it is scary that YOU are in lawschool and might pass a state bar...

do you think you're better or more intelligent than me because you are in lawschool?

No, but I do think I am more intelligent than you based on your inability to reason.

i didn't realize you would take such great offense to it....but its nice to you that you don't mind insulting back and be serious about it, so i guess in your world, two wrongs do make a right...

if i were you, i really wouldn't brag about your reasoning skills over mine, it shows immaturity...and makes you look stupid for having to brag about something you don't really have

But good job at admitting you don't know what the hell you are talking about. First sign of honesty I've seen from you so far.

True. You have an advantage over me in the "unemployed know-nothing" category. Yay you!

Umm, no. As stated, I am employed. I just know the state of the economy right now, and the situation of recent grads. Besides the fact that, even if I were not employed it wouldn't be a problem since I am still currently in school.

Umm, no. As stated, I am employed. I just know the state of the economy right now, and the situation of recent grads. Besides the fact that, even if I were not employed it wouldn't be a problem since I am still currently in school.

It's great that you teach people how to take the LSAT, but that doesn't mean you know dick about criminal law. Or for that matter, criminals. It's all theory to you.

I doubt you've ever sat across from a victim of a shooting. Or, interviewed a suspect who has "racist" tattooed on his forehead. Or, gone out into a neighborhood where violence is prevalent, and met with a family whose house was shot up.

None of this stuff is real to you, it's all classroom lecture and abstract. That's the difference between you, Nik, and tech and I. And you totally WON'T get it until you've done the real work.

Last edited:

i didn't realize you would take such great offense to it....but its nice to you that you don't mind insulting back and be serious about it, so i guess in your world, two wrongs do make a right...

I don't take great offense. But nor do I find it humorous. And no I don't mind insulting you back, but I don't expect you to find my insults humorous.

if i were you, i really wouldn't brag about your reasoning skills over mine, it shows immaturity...and makes you look stupid for having to brag about something you don't really have

I wasn't "bragging". You asked a question, I answered it. Bragging would be me going everywhere and telling people how much smarter I am than you. I haven't done that. In fact, I made no comparison until you asked me a direct question.

Nice circular reasoning there too. I am stupid because I brag about being smart, although I am stupid? Yeah. Logic fail. And you wonder why I think I am more intelligent than you?

It's great that you teach people how to take the LSAT, but that doesn't mean you know dick about criminal law. Or for that matter, criminals.

Umm, congratulations. Yes, you probably know more than me about the field you specifically went into, and I am not in. What exactly is your point here?

It's great that you teach people how to take the LSAT, but that doesn't mean you know dick about criminal law. Or for that matter, criminals.

Umm, congratulations. Yes, you probably know more than me about the field you specifically went into, and I am not in. What exactly is your point here?

um, that you're talking out of your ass?

just a guess

um, that you're talking out of your ass?

just a guess

Yes, I am talking out of my ass about the criminal justice system.

Ah, you are going back to the hate crimes. So you want to go back to the topic after you flew away?

Sure, lets go. But avoid appeals to authority and other obvious flaws. You aren't an authority. Thanks.

When were we talking about criminal law again?

Last edited:

It's great that you teach people how to take the LSAT, but that doesn't mean you know dick about criminal law. Or for that matter, criminals. It's all theory to you.

I doubt you've ever sat across from a victim of a shooting. Or, interviewed a suspect who has "racist" tattooed on his forehead. Or, gone out into a neighborhood where violence is prevalent, and met with a family whose house was shot up.

None of this stuff is real to you, it's all classroom lecture and abstract. That's the difference between you, Nik, and tech and I. And you totally WON'T get it until you've done the real work.

Last time you tried to make shit up about me, you failed. Sure you want to try it again?

And yes, I've had some experience dealing with indigent individuals. No, this isn't "abstract" to me. I also have just a little bit of experience dealing with homophobia and homophobic issues. Actually, quite a lot. More than you, I guarantee it.

Last edited:

I don't take great offense. But nor do I find it humorous. And no I don't mind insulting you back, but I don't expect you to find my insults humorous.

I wasn't "bragging". You asked a question, I answered it. Bragging would be me going everywhere and telling people how much smarter I am than you. I haven't done that. In fact, I made no comparison until you asked me a direct question.

Nice circular reasoning there too. I am stupid because I brag about being smart, although I am stupid? Yeah. Logic fail. And you wonder why I think I am more intelligent than you?

since you're in lawschool, you should know that you did not in fact just answer my question, you said "no" then you expounded that it wasn't lawschool, it was my reasoning vs. your superior reasoning skills. i never asked about that, nor did i raise it anything about reasoning....you seemed to be touting the fact of your attendance as lawschool as somehow you being more intelligent as you said knowledge makes me scared, e.g., you being in lawschool makes me a afraid of your knowledge gained in lawschool.

you're obviously very naive and have never heard the statement: those who brag often have the least, IOW, they do not have that which they brag about. thanks for proving you live in under a rock....

Your law background is meaningless to this discussion because you don't understand the real world application of law. That's abundantly clear from your posts on this topic. Hence, every one of your snide comments shouts, clearly, "I just graduated from law school, but I don't know dick about practicing law."

I find it funny, that's all.

Sure, lets go. But avoid appeals to authority and other obvious flaws. You aren't an authority. Thanks.

When were we talking about criminal law again?

Actually, hate crimes legislation IS criminal law.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So much for Nik's attempts at being an authority.

Forum List

Back