Harvard Professor Jailed; Officer Is Accused of Bias

It's nice to agree with you for a change. ;)

If Gates had done anything wrong to begin with or if he acted this way for a traffic stop then the cops would have been justified for arresting him for disorderly conduct. Basically we have a crank that became emotional and dissed the cops while he was in his own home and on his front porch.

Reminds me of the time the cops pulled me over for shooting a bird at them, which I didn't...and it wouldn't have been an offense if I had. Cops that can't handle cranky people should think about a career change.

We once got pulled over by a cop because my boyfriend did indeed shoot the bird at a cop. He had cut us off in traffic and nearly caused a collision. He was not on a police chase, he was just plain speeding. I can't remember if we knew he was a cop when when he cut us off because although he was in uniform he was in what looked like to be his own car. He pulled aside of us an told us to pull over. We did and he demanded driver's liscense and registration. He also started ranting about how you can't give a cop the finger. My bf remained calm and said. "Surely officer, you must agree that you were driving recklessly?" He then asked to see ID because the cop had no badge or name tag. The cop then got control of himself, showed us his badge, mumbled something about being careful in traffic and beat the hell out of there. I think he may have been high or drunk or something. Or maybe just really stressed out. And I suspect he was off duty. We never reported it because he did back down in the end. But I have always felt a bit guilty that we didn't. Anyone who thinks cops don't lose it sometimes is naive.

It's nice to agree with you for a change. ;)

If Gates had done anything wrong to begin with or if he acted this way for a traffic stop then the cops would have been justified for arresting him for disorderly conduct. Basically we have a crank that became emotional and dissed the cops while he was in his own home and on his front porch.

Reminds me of the time the cops pulled me over for shooting a bird at them, which I didn't...and it wouldn't have been an offense if I had. Cops that can't handle cranky people should think about a career change.

We once got pulled over by a cop because my boyfriend did indeed shoot the bird at a cop. He had cut us off in traffic and nearly caused a collision. He was not on a police chase, he was just plain speeding. I can't remember if we knew he was a cop when when he cut us off because although he was in uniform he was in what looked like to be his own car. He pulled aside of us an told us to pull over. We did and he demanded driver's liscense and registration. He also started ranting about how you can't give a cop the finger. My bf remained calm and said. "Surely officer, you must agree that you were driving recklessly?" He then asked to see ID because the cop had no badge or name tag. The cop then got control of himself, showed us his badge, mumbled something about being careful in traffic and beat the hell out of there. I think he may have been high or drunk or something. Or maybe just really stressed out. And I suspect he was off duty. We never reported it because he did back down in the end. But I have always felt a bit guilty that we didn't. Anyone who thinks cops don't lose it sometimes is naive.

Of course cops lose it sometimes, they're human. So is Prof Gates who is the one that lost it this time and ended up getting arrested, and justifiably so.

Looks like maybe you're predisposed to not believe the police, just like Mr Gates who evidently had more of an emotional response to routine inquiry...?

I think the charges were dropped in order to defuse the legal situation as threatened by Mr Gates. A compromise of sorts.

I admittedly had an emotional reaction to seeing our president relight that fuse, however. :cool:
I'm not predisposed to not believe anyone. Having read the police report, I am disturbed by how Crowley choose to precede and what he chose to report. That charges were dropped points to his supervisors also having doubts about the legitimacy of the arrest.

Yes, the president's response definitely made the situation more complicated.

No that the charges were dropped points to Gates "friends in high places".

Face it, if it were you or I, charges would have been filed. But then again, if it was me at least, I wouldn't have been yelling at the officer like that.
No charges would have been filed in anyone's case because no crime was committed (other than the officer's abuse of power) and the police knew they couldn't prove one had. I give the Cambridge Police credit for at least dropping the charges.

I'm not predisposed to not believe anyone. Having read the police report, I am disturbed by how Crowley choose to precede and what he chose to report. That charges were dropped points to his supervisors also having doubts about the legitimacy of the arrest.

Yes, the president's response definitely made the situation more complicated.

Face it, if it were you or I, charges would have been filed. But then again, if it was me at least, I wouldn't have been yelling at the officer like that.
No charges would have been filed in anyone's case because no crime was committed (other than the officer's abuse of power) and the police knew they couldn't prove one had. I give the Cambridge Police credit for at least dropping the charges.

Gates was guilty of disorderly conduct, exactly the reason he was arrested.

:lol: The charge was disorderly conduct, Ravi...routine stuff for people who defy the police and "get in their face". Just wait until the tapes are released and it becomes crystal clear who got emotional and irrational at the scene, as witnessed by many people who described Mr Gates as behaving like a total maniac.
Like I said before, cops take guff all the time. It's not their job to arrest people who try to push their buttons, only those who actually commit crimes and/or are creating genuine public disturbances. This cop should have kept walking away and gone back to doing real police work. Instead he turned around and decided to take off part of his work day to teach a guy a lesson about just what can be said to Officer Crowley.

Oh good grief, you are suggesting the officer should have walked away, leaving a yelling, out of control man standing there? The cops can't do that, as long as Gates is out of control, it's up to them to get him back into control. Failing that, they MUST arrest him.

Gates lost his cool. The charges never should have been dropped, of course if they hadn't been Gates behavior would have been all over every news station in the country. Everyone would know him for the fool that was totally out of control. It would have cost Gates, BIG TIME.

As it stands now, it may end up costing this cop his career. All because Gates has friends in high places and can get away with just about anything....
The cop should have left the premises as soon as he realized Gates lived there. Have you ever been to a big city? Raving lunatics wander everywhere. As long as they are no threat to anyone they are ignored. Gates' behavior did not even come close to that type of scenario.

Guilty in your mind. The authorities disaggree.

Has anyone else noticed how Angry Eel is now posting on this topic as if she was a first hand eyewitness?

:eusa_whistle:

Has anyone else noticed how Angry Eel is now posting on this topic as if she was a first hand eyewitness?

:eusa_whistle:
Good one, mani.

I was standing right behind RGS and Lonestar logic.

I'm surprised that a libertarian would be in favor of a police state.

So long as you remain in your house, it doesn't matter.

I'm not a big fan of cops. My gut feeling is that the professor was pissed off at the cop's attitude (they do have attitude, it goes with the territory) and probably went on a little rant in the house. Cop probably got pissed off and asked him to step outside, knowing full well the guy owned the house, and wanting to take him in for something. Because they're LIKE THAT. They're pumped full of adrenaline and way more than the normal share of testosterone, they're TAUGHT to be edgy, and they carry grudges. Idiot professor steps outside his house and whamo blamo, you're disturbing the peace moron, haha guess what, you're taking a ride.

Typical of the shit cops pull. They get their laughs where they can. Doesn't make it right, but it doesn't make it racist, either.

Which is exactly why the charges were dropped right? Cops arrest people for the most stupidest things, even charging people with battery for farting.

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd let it slide and start a private, quiet campaign aimed at getting rid of the cop.

It's all about being subversive and living under the radar.....tell friends and family what an awful cop the guy is. Set up nasty little traps for him (call in for every single little thing and have everyone else do it while the cop's on duty.)

I have successfully waged such a campaign before...it does work. You just have to be mellow about it.

Farting is a whole different crime, and it should be punished to the full extent of the law, in my opinion.l

Forum List

Back