Greece & Europe & Energy & Russia: Problem(s) Solved. You're Welcome.

Silhouette

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2013
Greece%20amp%20Europe%20jpg_zpsnxw8trj1.jpg

Greece%20map%20closeup%20jpg_zpscroite64.jpg

Geothermal power exports:
Abstract
In Greece the geothermal areas are located in regions of Quaternary or Miocene volcanism and in continental basins of high heat flow. The existence of high-temperature (>200 °C) resources has been proven by deep drilling on the islands of Milos and Nisyros and inferred on the island of Santorini by its active volcanism. Elsewhere, geological investigations, geochemical analyses of thermal springs and shallow drilling have identified many low-temperature (<100 °C) reservoirs, utilized for spas and greenhouse/soil heating. Ternary K–Na–Mg geothermometer data suggest deep, medium-temperature resources (100–200 °C) in Sousaki, the islands of Samothraki, Chios and Lesvos, in the basins of Nestos River Delta and Alexandroupolis and in the graben of Sperchios River. In the basins of northern Greece these resources are also inferred from deep oil exploration well data. Exploring for geothermal resources in Greece

Geothermal resources...high and low temp. High is easy. Low is workable using heat exchangers and low temp refrigerant boilers:

The Chena geothermal power plant came online in late July 2006, putting Alaska squarely on the map for new geothermal technologies. Chena Hot Springs is the lowest temperature geothermal resource to be used for commercial power production in the world....Because the geothermal water at Chena Hot Springs never reaches the boiling point of water we cannot use a traditional steam driven turbine. Instead a secondary (hence, "binary") fluid, R-134a, which has a lower boiling point than water passes through a heat exchanger with 165°F water from our geothermal wells. Heat from the geothermal water causes the R-134a to flash to vapor which then drives the turbine. GEOTHERMAL POWER - CHENA POWER - A Renewable Energy Company

Solar THERMAL (not photovoltaic) power exports.

Greece is one of the southernmost countries in Europe and therefore receives some of the most yearly sunshine.

Between the two resources and saline heat storage, Greece can pull itself out of a slump, sell power to Europe and sort of you know...help out the national security plan. Investors?....(I hear there's a huge labor pool there needing work) Designers could for the geothermal plants create destination spas for tourism where the warm water discharge could be used in asthetically-pleasing baths...Roman style. The facilities could be cloaked to look like the parthenon and so on. Energy & tourist health spas. Win-win. Like they do in Iceland:

spagals.jpg

You're welcome.

Last edited:
Greece probably has oil off its coast......
Doesn't Europe eat a lot of seafood out of the Mediterranian?

Cheaper, cleaner and easier to tap the sun and volcanic activity there. No spills. Ever. Easier,and more profit margin for Greece because solar thermal & geothermal plants are easier to set up and run. Oil is an ongoing nightmare. Not to mention the air pollution. Would be terrible for the twin industry of tourism in geothermal effluent I mentioned in the OP.

Solar thermal isnt performing well out west from what I've heard. Without oil you have nothing.

Greece probably has oil off its coast......
Doesn't Europe eat a lot of seafood out of the Mediterranian?

Cheaper, cleaner and easier to tap the sun and volcanic activity there. No spills. Ever.

Solve the ISIL war in Syria and Iraq and reopen the Syrian pipeline between Iraq and Syria that would feed Iraqi Oil to Europe while working on renewable energy sources.

Solar thermal isnt performing well out west from what I've heard. Without oil you have nothing.
You mean the big distant circular arrays engineered to fail by Chevron or the linear-tube ones closer to the parabolic mirrors? Turns out there's a world of difference between the two designs. The former eventually warms clear up to I think under 100 degrees C. The latter to 300 degrees C pretty rapidly.

Abstract
In Greece the geothermal areas are located in regions of Quaternary or Miocene volcanism and in continental basins of high heat flow. The existence of high-temperature (>200 °C) resources has been proven by deep drilling on the islands of Milos and Nisyros and inferred on the island of Santorini by its active volcanism. Elsewhere, geological investigations, geochemical analyses of thermal springs and shallow drilling have identified many low-temperature (<100 °C) reservoirs, utilized for spas and greenhouse/soil heating. Ternary K–Na–Mg geothermometer data suggest deep, medium-temperature resources (100–200 °C) in Sousaki, the islands of Samothraki, Chios and Lesvos, in the basins of Nestos River Delta and Alexandroupolis and in the graben of Sperchios River. In the basins of northern Greece these resources are also inferred from deep oil exploration well data. Exploring for geothermal resources in Greece

Geothermal resources...high and low temp. High is easy. Low is workable using heat exchangers and low temp refrigerant boilers:

The Chena geothermal power plant came online in late July 2006, putting Alaska squarely on the map for new geothermal technologies. Chena Hot Springs is the lowest temperature geothermal resource to be used for commercial power production in the world....Because the geothermal water at Chena Hot Springs never reaches the boiling point of water we cannot use a traditional steam driven turbine. Instead a secondary (hence, "binary") fluid, R-134a, which has a lower boiling point than water passes through a heat exchanger with 165°F water from our geothermal wells. Heat from the geothermal water causes the R-134a to flash to vapor which then drives the turbine. GEOTHERMAL POWER - CHENA POWER - A Renewable Energy Company

Greece is one of the southernmost countries in Europe and therefore receives some of the most yearly sunshine.

Between the two resources and saline heat storage, Greece can pull itself out of a slump, sell power to Europe and sort of you know...help out the national security plan. Investors?....(I hear there's a huge labor pool there needing work) Designers could for the geothermal plants create destination spas for tourism where the warm water discharge could be used in asthetically-pleasing baths...Roman style. The facilities could be cloaked to look like the parthenon and so on. Energy & tourist health spas. Win-win. Like they do in Iceland:

spagals.jpg

You're welcome.

Ah branching out to other topics Sil? Glad to see your recovery's going well! :biggrin:

Ah branching out to other topics Sil? Glad to see your recovery's going well! :biggrin:

I address what is imminent and compelling. The gay topics are on the cutting edge and by no means are "over now". They've just begun actually. Unfortunately. If SCOTUS had done what it should've with respect to the law, the Constitution and the limitations of its powers, the question would be put back to the states on which behaviors can marry and my part in the conversation would be over.

This thread is about Greece and so let's stick to that here, shall we?

Solve the ISIL war in Syria and Iraq and reopen the Syrian pipeline between Iraq and Syria that would feed Iraqi Oil to Europe while working on renewable energy sources.

So Europe could be more dependant on ME oil? With the Russians pulling the strings behind that situation I hardly think that serves the multipurpose problem-solving I mentioned in the OP.

Europe doesn't want more pollution in the Mediterranean Sea. And, Greece would then have to have an entire infrastructure to support an oil industry which means they'd be right back in the same hole...broke...and dependant upon the US or some other large broker to eek by. They'd essentially just be renting some of their land to Chevron, Exxon etc; who would in turn pollute their islands/mainland. And, all of Europe would hate them even more for doing so.

Why not geothermal & solar thermal? The sun shines down there all the time. Japan was selling their geothermal to Russia too if memory serves. Greece could be selling power to France and Germany and the other cold northern countries...all on her own relatively inexpensive infrastucture; which could be asthetically integrated into her landscape. All clean and no pollution in the Mediterranean.

Seriously moderators? Are all the threads on Greece shoved in the "Europe" dungeon? I've seen quite a few threads on Greece in politics, since you know, their economic situation is TODAY, POlITICAL AND CRITICAL. !!

So Europe could be more dependant on ME oil? With the Russians pulling the strings behind that situation I hardly think that serves the multipurpose problem-solving I mentioned in the OP.

Europe doesn't want more pollution in the Mediterranean Sea. And, Greece would then have to have an entire infrastructure to support an oil industry which means they'd be right back in the same hole...broke...and dependant upon the US or some other large broker to eek by. They'd essentially just be renting some of their land to Chevron, Exxon etc; who would in turn pollute their islands/mainland. And, all of Europe would hate them even more for doing so.

Why not geothermal & solar thermal? The sun shines down there all the time. Japan was selling their geothermal to Russia too if memory serves. Greece could be selling power to France and Germany and the other cold northern countries...all on her own relatively inexpensive infrastucture; which could be asthetically integrated into her landscape. All clean and no pollution in the Mediterranean.

Does it matter if Europe is dependent on Middle East Oil?

I mean they either get it from Iraq through Syria or from Russia with no love to the Ukrainian people...

Fix Syria and Iraq and hell get Iran online too and then go for your idea of renewable energy, and let be factual Greece will need economic aid for the infrastructure project and if not from a country like the U.S., Russia or China it will be from a corporation like Shell or Exxon, so let not fool ourselves...

Does it matter if Europe is dependent on Middle East Oil?

I mean they either get it from Iraq through Syria or from Russia with no love to the Ukrainian people...

Fix Syria and Iraq and hell get Iran online too and then go for your idea of renewable energy, and let be factual Greece will need economic aid for the infrastructure project and if not from a country like the U.S., Russia or China it will be from a corporation like Shell or Exxon, so let not fool ourselves...
Yes, who one is dependent upon for oil affects one's national security.

Green energy at home is cheaper, better profit margin and clips the apron strings to Russia, Iraq, Syria etc.

National security matters. And Greece has the perfect opportunity to pay back Europe with an industry that will eventually take them out of the slump they're in and into a sustainable future. Seems the perfect solution.

So I guess the race is on. Russia funds Greek green energy or the US does. Whoever wants the tabs on that part of the world I guess...

Abstract

spagals.jpg

You're welcome.

Expensive, low-grade energy. Sounds like a winner.

Turbines are turbines. And the geothermal or solar thermal ways of producing exactly the same steam-driven turbines that coal or oil or nuclear plants do isn't "low-grade" energy. To prove it to yourself, go to a geothermal plant, stand in a puddle of water and grab a live wire coming off their steam turbines.

And expensive? Compared to the cumulative costs of coal or oil extraction, refining, transportation, spills, air pollution, plant maintenance waste disposals..national security issues. Are you kidding me?

Turbines are turbines. And the geothermal or solar thermal ways of producing exactly the same steam-driven turbines that coal or oil or nuclear plants do isn't "low-grade" energy. To prove it to yourself, go to a geothermal plant, stand in a puddle of water and grab a live wire coming off their steam turbines.

And expensive? Compared to the cumulative costs of coal or oil extraction, refining, transportation, spills, air pollution, plant maintenance waste disposals..national security issues. Are you kidding me?

And expensive?

I think so. Feel free to show the cost to implement this system with the expected output.
We can compare it to fossil fuel plants.

And expensive?
I think so. Feel free to show the cost to implement this system with the expected output.

I could. But I'm not going to. Instead, I'll let readers do that. What I will do is let them imagine what would cost more, the solar thermal array from the video in the OP, which "burns" nothing but sunshine as fuel vs mining, refining, transporting, burning, pollution of air and water and waste disposal of fossil fuel extraction and energy production. I'll let them imagine which one would have a better profit margin

And expensive?

I could. But I'm not going to. Instead, I'll let readers do that. What I will do is let them imagine what would cost more, the solar thermal array from the video in the OP, which "burns" nothing but sunshine as fuel vs mining, refining, transporting, burning, pollution of air and water and waste disposal of fossil fuel extraction and energy production. I'll let them imagine which one would have a better profit margin

What I will do is let them imagine what would cost more

Thanks for your imaginary solution.

Forum List

Back