Graffiti spree shutters parts of Joshua Tree National Park

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
A rash of graffiti hitting Joshua Tree National Park, possibly the work of vandals trying to one-up each other on Facebook, has prompted officials to close another part of the California park, and left visitors and conservation groups outraged.

Just weeks after a spike in graffiti forced officials to close access to the park’s Barker Dam, “recent and increasing acts of vandalism” have now prompted an emergency closure of the Rattlesnake Canyon area until April 30, an alert on the park’s website announces.

About 17 different sites in the canyon, mostly boulders, have been defaced with spray paint, said Pat Pilcher, a spokesman for the park. Some of the graffiti is vulgar and obscene. In some cases, the vandals have painted over ancient petroglyphs found on the rocks, he added.

“It is disturbing,” Pilcher told NBC News.
“During my career I worked at five other national parks and I’ve never seen the damage to this extent… these people are defacing something that belongs to all Americans.”

Graffiti spree shutters parts of Joshua Tree National Park - Travel on NBCNews.com

Forum List

Back