Gov Walker's WS Set To Have Budget SURPLUS 2011, 2012 & 2013

No schools were closed (in fact more schools were opened), no teachers were laid off (in fact more teachers were hired), no dollars were snatched from the WS schools (in fact more dollars went to them), yet Gov Walker's plan turned a $3.6 billion deficit into a surplus this year, next year and in 2013!

All I have to say is WAY TO FUCKING GO WALKER!!! You stopped a crisis and actually improved Wisconsin schools!

Wisconsin Predicted to Have Positive Balance in 2013 - Caledonia, WI Patch
Wisconsin Predicted to Have Positive Balance in 2013
The Legislative Fiscal Bureau is projecting a small budget surplus for both years of the 2011-2013 biennial.

By Heather Asiyanbi Email the author August 21, 2011 Print&nbps;7 Comments Tweet Email
Sponsored By ‹ Back to Article View full size new
Embed | Share
State Capitol
Wisconsin State Capitol, Oct. 2, 2010 DMichael Burns
Photos (1)
Photos
Credit DMichael Burns Add your photos & videos If all goes according to plan, the state of Wisconsin will have a small budget surplus at the end of the 2011-2013 biennial budget.

The non-partisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau (LFB) recently released its "Comparitive Summary of Budget Recommendation" in which it gives the net balances projected for the end of both fiscal years.

By June 30, 2012, the state should have a $8.4 million surplus compared to $9.4 million by June 30, 2013.

Representative Robin Vos (R-Rochester) sent out his regular email communication with constituents on Aug. 19 and he mentions the LFB's findings as well.

"It’s quite an accomplishment when you consider that we started with a $3.6 billion deficit," he writes.

Vos also includes two pie charts illustrating revenues and general expenditures. Here's how it shakes out:

Revenues

50% Income Taxes
30% Sales/Use Taxes
6% Corporate Taxes
14% Other

Expenditures

44% Education
31% HR
15% Shared Revenue
10% Other

Vos also writes that considering the $3.6 billion hole Wisconsin was in, even these projected small victories are proof that new policies are working

My friends in WI said to tell you you are completely clueless.

You have friends?

The unions lost, period.

Walker and the people of Wisconsin won, period.

Lost what?

And the UNIONS are the people.

Democrats gained two seats and the one Republican that voted against Walker's unconstitution bill still sits in the State Congress.

That means..Republicans have lost an effective majority.

Walker's toast. :clap2:

Its right here in the damn budget!!!

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/data/JR1SB-11.pdf
16.896 Sale or contractual operation of state−owned heating, cooling, and power plants. (1) Notwithstanding ss. 13.48 (14) (am) and 16.705 (1), the department may sell any state−owned heating, cooling, and power plant or may contract with a private entity for the operation of any such plant, with or without solicitation of bids, for any amount that the department determines to be in the best interest of the state. Notwithstanding ss. 196.49 and 196.80, no approval or certification of the public service commission is necessary for a public utility to purchase, or contract for the operation of, such a plant, and any such purchase is considered to be in the public interest and to comply with the criteria for certification of a project under s. 196.49 (3) (b).

The state already authorized the ability to sell of public utilities in no-bid sales with no required approval or certification from the public service commission. Why would they have done this?

This is nothing short of giving the Governor carte blanche to hand out the public utilities as a form of patronage. Its the equivalent of leaving the safe open. You are just bitching and moaning that nobody has stolen the cash yet.

Tell me this is the work of someone fiscally responsible?

The unions lost, period.

Lost what?

Democrats gained two seats and the one Republican that voted against Walker's unconstitution bill still sits in the State Congress.

The unions in Wisconsin represent a very small part of the people.

Democrats and unions tried and failed to unseat enough Republicans to regain the legislature.

Walkers bill was found constitutional.
Supreme Court reinstates collective bargaining law - JSOnline

Republicans still have the majority.

Epic FAIL on your part.

16.896 Sale or contractual operation of state−owned heating, cooling, and power plants. (1) Notwithstanding ss. 13.48 (14) (am) and 16.705 (1), the department may sell any state−owned heating, cooling, and power plant or may contract with a private entity for the operation of any such plant, with or without solicitation of bids, for any amount that the department determines to be in the best interest of the state. Notwithstanding ss. 196.49 and 196.80, no approval or certification of the public service commission is necessary for a public utility to purchase, or contract for the operation of, such a plant, and any such purchase is considered to be in the public interest and to comply with the criteria for certification of a project under s. 196.49 (3) (b).

The state already authorized the ability to sell of public utilities in no-bid sales with no required approval or certification from the public service commission. Why would they have done this?

This is nothing short of giving the Governor carte blanche to hand out the public utilities as a form of patronage. Its the equivalent of leaving the safe open. You are just bitching and moaning that nobody has stolen the cash yet.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you are an idiot...

MAY SELL and HAS SOLD are two different things...

You claimed it already happened... Your words:
That alleged surplus came by selling off public properties/utilities through graft.

That was a lie...

Thus far, no public property / utility has been sold off, nor do any of the companies in your conspiracy theory article even want to buy them...

We can discuss this when someone actually buys under no-bid circumstances...

Until then, take your conspiracy theory and bugger off....

Don't take this the wrong way, but you are an idiot...

MAY SELL and HAS SOLD are two different things...

You claimed it already happened... Your words:
That alleged surplus came by selling off public properties/utilities through graft.

That was a lie...

Thus far, no public property / utility has been sold off, nor do any of the companies in your conspiracy theory article even want to buy them...

We can discuss this when someone actually buys under no-bid circumstances...

Until then, take your conspiracy theory and bugger off....

he isn't smart enough to realize he lied.

You both are a bunch of fucking retards.

The door is wide open with a big sign saying "valuables here-come rob me" and you are bitching and moaning the house isn't bare yet.

And we know the utilities haven't been sold off yet because...oh wait that was just an assumption on your parts.

You both are a bunch of fucking retards.

The door is wide open with a big sign saying "valuables here-come rob me" and you are bitching and moaning the house isn't bare yet.

And we know the utilities haven't been sold off yet because...oh wait that was just an assumption on your parts.

What you obviously meant to say was:

I'm a fucking retard.

I am assuming the door is wide open with a big sign saying "valuables here-come rob me" and now I'm bitching and moaning and jumping the gun without the house being bare.

And I know the utilities have already been sold off because...oh wait that was just an assumption on my part, as I've posted no proof.

He can brag about it on his way out..after the recall.

:lol:

He won by a landslide on the last one doing exactly what he campaigned on. Now that WS dodged a budget crisis and HAS NOT LAID OFF ONE TEACHER, I think the recall will fail bigtime!

Yea a $3.6 billion deficit was wiped out but LOL Walker selling public properties! What a fool you are! Why can't the left (and right many times) admit when the other side does something RIGHT!!!

Bottom line, $3.6 bil deficit is a surplus, more teachers are being hired, more schools open and less pupils per teacher! HE WON!

The bottom line is of course more complicated, and your summary seems to be inaccurate:
Uncharted waters: Public school superintendents may be facing

It seems like schools do have less money (almost $800M over two years, somewhat more than I calculated) and that unsurprisingly the overall effect is the reduction of educational services. As far as I can tell, claims to the contrary rely on publicizing unrepresentative results such as the rare district that is adding teachers when most are cutting back. If you have contrary evidence I'd love to see it.

Much of the savings comes from paying teachers less. This might not have much of an effect in the short run, but in the long run you can't get the same quality of work from people if you pay them less.

You will need to provide a link to suppor that assertion. The big debate in WI was not about compensation, but about:

1. Automatic deduction of the union dues from the paychecks and
2. Contibution by the teachers to support more of the cost of insurance and
3. Allowing the state of Wisconsin to shop for insurance among all providers and not just the one that the union selected which cost more than all the others.

That is where the savings came from.

Can you produce a link to support your assertion that the pay rates of the teachers was reduced?

George Will: Liberals' Wisconsin Waterloo | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

And teachers unions may no longer automatically deduct dues from members' paychecks. After Colorado in 2001 required public employees unions to have annual votes reauthorizing collection of dues, membership in the Colorado Association of Public Employees declined 70 percent. In 2005, Indiana stopped collecting dues from unionized public employees; in 2011, there are 90 percent fewer dues-paying members. In Utah, the end of automatic dues deductions for political activities in 2001 caused teachers' payments to fall 90 percent. After a similar law passed in 1992 in Washington state, the percentage of teachers making such contributions declined from 82 to 11.

I haven't the time or expertise to dig too deeply into Wisconsin's budget, so I could be wrong, but...

Based on legis.wisconsin.org, the source for the article you cite, the biennial allocations for overall education were $12.9B (44.4% of total budget) in 2011-2013 and $13.6B (49.2% of total). Even failing to account for either inflation or the increase in Wisconsin's population, the current biennial budget reduces both the overall allocation for education and the percentage of the budget dedicated to education.This change of $700M dwarfs the biennial projected surplus of $17.8M. The current budget also skews more heavily to chartered schools than in the past.

Accepting that Walker's budget *does* have a surplus but *doesn't* spend as much on schools/education as past years, I find it unsurprising. I don't think anyone suggested that the state paying teachers less wouldn't reduce the state's deficit in the short term. If anything, running a surplus slightly undermines Walker's claim that “The bottom line is we are trying to balance our budget and there really is no room to negotiate on that because we’re broke.” It's also worth noting that unions voluntarily agreed to slash their own pay and benefits-- it was the destruction of collective bargaining rights to which they objected.

Accepting the fact that Walker's budget has a surplus simply proves that being fiscally responsible WORKS!

As for your claim that unions "voluntarily" agreed to slash their own pay and benefits? You conveniently left out the part where they spent millions in a desperate attempt to elect politicians who would let them KEEP their pay and benefits and then only after having lost the election agreed to take pay and benefit cuts while they spent millions more in a recall effort trying to get politicians into office that would once again let them keep their pay and benefits. That hardly fits the definition of "voluntarily".

From the article you linked which is from February 2011 and should have either been proven or falsified by now

The long and the short of it is you haven't falsified it. It has been noted numerous times already. You are just annoyed I just peed on your little Gov Walker love note.
On Wisconsin : Lawyers, Guns & Money
ginandtacos.com » Blog Archive » STAND AND DELIVER

"The lion's share of attention regarding Scott Walker's legislative proposal has been paid to the effort to revoke Wisconsin public employees' collective bargaining rights, but the 144-page bill (more reliable link here http://www.sheboyganpress.com/assets/pdf/U0170515216.PDF) is a far more exhaustive and inclusive list of the fundamentals of Republican politics in the 21st Century. Not many people have the time to plow through the whole bill but those who do will be rewarded with plenty of gems like this:

16.896 Sale or contractual operation of state−owned heating, cooling, and power plants. (1) Notwithstanding ss. 13.48 (14) (am) and 16.705 (1), the department may sell any state−owned heating, cooling, and power plant or may contract with a private entity for the operation of any such plant, with or without solicitation of bids, for any amount that the department determines to be in the best interest of the state. Notwithstanding ss. 196.49 and 196.80, no approval or certification of the public service commission is necessary for a public utility to purchase, or contract for the operation of, such a plant, and any such purchase is considered to be in the public interest and to comply with the criteria for certification of a project under s. 196.49 (3) (b)."

Most of the public utilities in indiapolis are private companies that are granted the right toperate by the city. The State of indiana is gong in the same direction. The Indiana toll road that famously lost money for years was leased to a company which is now paying the lwease fees, has improved the road, has expanded the road and is paying taxes on the PROFITS that it is producing.

What is your point?

If it makes fiscal sense to subcontract a job and get better results for less money, what is the problem exactly?

No schools were closed (in fact more schools were opened), no teachers were laid off (in fact more teachers were hired), no dollars were snatched from the WS schools (in fact more dollars went to them), yet Gov Walker's plan turned a $3.6 billion deficit into a surplus this year, next year and in 2013!

All I have to say is WAY TO FUCKING GO WALKER!!! You stopped a crisis and actually improved Wisconsin schools!

Wisconsin Predicted to Have Positive Balance in 2013 - Caledonia, WI Patch
Wisconsin Predicted to Have Positive Balance in 2013
The Legislative Fiscal Bureau is projecting a small budget surplus for both years of the 2011-2013 biennial.

By Heather Asiyanbi Email the author August 21, 2011 Print&nbps;7 Comments Tweet Email
Sponsored By ‹ Back to Article View full size new
Embed | Share
State Capitol
Wisconsin State Capitol, Oct. 2, 2010 DMichael Burns
Photos (1)
Photos
Credit DMichael Burns Add your photos & videos If all goes according to plan, the state of Wisconsin will have a small budget surplus at the end of the 2011-2013 biennial budget.

The non-partisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau (LFB) recently released its "Comparitive Summary of Budget Recommendation" in which it gives the net balances projected for the end of both fiscal years.

By June 30, 2012, the state should have a $8.4 million surplus compared to $9.4 million by June 30, 2013.

Representative Robin Vos (R-Rochester) sent out his regular email communication with constituents on Aug. 19 and he mentions the LFB's findings as well.

"It’s quite an accomplishment when you consider that we started with a $3.6 billion deficit," he writes.

Vos also includes two pie charts illustrating revenues and general expenditures. Here's how it shakes out:

Revenues

50% Income Taxes
30% Sales/Use Taxes
6% Corporate Taxes
14% Other

Expenditures

44% Education
31% HR
15% Shared Revenue
10% Other

Vos also writes that considering the $3.6 billion hole Wisconsin was in, even these projected small victories are proof that new policies are working

My friends in WI said to tell you you are completely clueless.

Do you have a link that will prove you have friends?

Actually its more of a shell game to cover up rank corruption on his party

A Secret Deal Between Gov. Walker And Koch Brothers Buried In State Budget? - Forbes

The guy is a goddamn crook.
The clintons are the biggest crooks in gov't. besides obamaturd and the stupid left supports them, but that is different isn't it? Idiots!!

Not the point, but thanks for trying. I guess anything to avoid the subject at hand.

Only one Clinton is in government and she is categorically useless. The only person to treat Secretary of State like a door prize.

As for Obama, if you can show me lining his pockets by selling off Federal properties to cronies, you are welcome to use it as a counter-example. Short of that, you are just breaking wind.

If it costs the taxpayer more to own something that is run inefficiently and operated by amateurs who have no interest in containing costs and if selling the rights to operate the venture produces a cost savings, what is the problem?

Are you so against reduced spending that you are willing to increase it only to waste money?

The unions lost, period.

Lost what?

Democrats and unions tried and failed to unseat enough Republicans to regain the legislature.

Epic FAIL on your part.

Keep telling yourself that. :lol:

Lost what?

Epic FAIL on your part.

Keep telling yourself that. :lol:

what % of the people in Wisconsin are in a union?
which party still has a majority in the legislature AND the Governors office?
Was the bill found to be constitutional when challenged in court?

All three points you tried to make... FAIL.

Total.. utter EPIC fail.

Kind of like your life. :rofl:

Right wingers say, "You have to take Lemons and make LemonAIDS".

We still have right wingers ON THIS VERY BOARD who say Iraq was a success and Bush's policies made millions of jobs. Or "people are only poor and hungry because they want to be".

Remember how they screamed at Obama for taking a 200 million dollar a day vacation?

They just make shit up, throw it into a thread and any right winger who reads it acts like it's New Years Eve 1999.

Haven't we tried to get them to LEARN to use "Google"? They insist that anything contrary to what they imagine only proves Google is a "liberal conspiracy".

We have to keep trying. Has finally being able to see ever made a blind man unhappy? Of course not. We need to open the tightly shut eyes of those on the right. Keep up the good fight.

You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear or put lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig.

Last edited by a moderator:

New Topics

Forum List

Back