Got to play with a Harbor Freight benchtop...

32K as a kit. I'm still trying to get an assembled price from the manufacturer or Aircraft Spruce.

Spruce is usually pretty quick about answering.
32K as a kit. I'm still trying to get an assembled price from the manufacturer or Aircraft Spruce.

There is a company in Redding California that builds them. More than a couple of the air racers here use them. I think the owners name is Bryan, but I could be wrong about that.

The company name is Eagle, IIRC

Spruce is usually pretty quick about answering.

There is a company in Redding California that builds them. More than a couple of the air racers here use them. I think the owners name is Bryan, but I could be wrong about that.

The company name is Eagle, IIRC

I'll look into that ... I'm still about 5,000 rivets shy of a complete airframe ... and Vans has a 10-month lead time on my fuselage and finishing kits.

I've been feeling out local LAMEs to see if they would be willing to make some money on the side. Because it's non-certified, they don't have to have a type certificate to do the work.

I'll look into that ... I'm still about 5,000 rivets shy of a complete airframe ... and Vans has a 10-month lead time on my fuselage and finishing kits.

I've been feeling out local LAMEs to see if they would be willing to make some money on the side. Because it's non-certified, they don't have to have a type certificate to do the work.

Yup, being Experimental can be a nice thing.

The RV-7 has an advertised cruise speed of 174kts (75% power) at 8,000 ft.

I'd like to see Cessna Skycatcher try to match that.

That's pretty close to my g36. My cruise is 193ish right now, but after my annual I was doing 195.

It's only impressive if I actually finish it... right now it's about 500 pounds of pretty aluminum scrap taking up space in my garage.

Most stay that way. You are much further along than most, and your worksmanship looks very good.

Just keep plugging away at it and you will finnish it.

Hopefully, it won't cost me the price of a Beech to finish this project.

It shouldn't. I bought mine as a fixer upper. Initial cost was low, but after all the work I had to do, I probably would have been better off buying one that was already sorted.

It shouldn't. I bought mine as a fixer upper. Initial cost was low, but after all the work I had to do, I probably would have been better off buying one that was already sorted.

If it could get my hands on any plane in the world, one of my choices would be ...

electras_at_airventure.jpg

If it could get my hands on any plane in the world, one of my choices would be ...

View attachment 662020

Yes! They are incredibly nice to fly! I have about a half hour in one. But, I have
to say, the A-26 Invader is even better.

I have time in one of those that had been converted to a fire fighter. That thing was a kick in the ass!

Yes! They are incredibly nice to fly! I have about a half hour in one. But, I have
to say, the A-26 Invader is even better.

I have time in one of those that had been converted to a fire fighter. That thing was a kick in the ass!

When I picture myself in an Electra, I'm hopping around the globe in the ultimate recreational vehicle, with plenty of room for a wet bar and at least one compact stewardess ...

1494892367895.jpg

... yes, I know they're not as roomy as an A380 ... but this is MY fantasy.

It's only impressive if I actually finish it... right now it's about 500 pounds of pretty aluminum scrap taking up space in my garage.
You'll finish. I'm sure. I make our household's own wood furniture from scratch, and folks often ask my wife and me what store we got this or that from. Their jaws drop when we tell them the "store" is in the extra, converted garage in the backyard.

I know beautiful work when I see it. Looking good, partner. You and I should talk more. Maybe we're encourage each other to be more productive. Don't know about you, but I tend to overthink my pieces and thusly procrastinate too often, I think. :p I wouldn't mind selling more pieces as a hobby.

You'll finish. I'm sure. I make our household's own wood furniture from scratch, and folks often ask my wife and me what store we got this or that from. Their jaws drop when we tell them the "store" is in the extra, converted garage in the backyard.

I know beautiful work when I see it. Looking good, partner. You and I should talk more. Maybe we're encourage each other to be more productive. Don't know about you, but I tend to overthink my pieces and thusly procrastinate too often, I think. :p I wouldn't mind selling more pieces as a hobby.

That's nice of you to say. I actually have the ultimate super-power when it comes to being able to work on DIY projects ... I live ALONE!

I'm not sure a married man could ever accomplish such a feat.

That's nice of you to say. I actually have the ultimate super-power when it comes to being able to work on DIY projects ... I live ALONE!

I'm not sure a married man could ever accomplish such a feat.
This is my latest. Just finished it yesterday. I brought it into the house to show you. I'm in Arizona and only run the AC unit in the shop when I'm working. It's too hot to stay outside. Put the final coat of varnish on it yesterday morning.

289239105_10217375234687689_1545687702027332765_n.jpg

This is my latest. Just finished yesterday. Brought into the house to show you. I'm in Arizona and only run the AC unit in the shop when I'm working. Put the final coat of varnish on it yesterday morning.

View attachment 662029

Have you ever used spray stain and or varnish? I have a really awesome HPLV setup and it seems so much easier than varnishing with a brush.

Have you ever used spray stain and or varnish? I have a really awesome HPLV setup and it seems so much easier than varnishing with a brush.
I've used both spray and brush. On most smaller projects like this I use spray varnish, though I prefer to stain by hand first as I did with the stand.

I should point out though that the bulk of the living room and bedroom suites are actually handcrafted Amish in our current home with all of the other ascent pieces (freestanding and wall mounted) built by me, including the cabinet behind the stand in the picture and the entertainment center, not in the picture. We sold our house in San Diego furnished with my pieces. Jill's folks gifted us with the Amish furniture we have today in the new home, anniversary-housewarming gift.

We sold our house in San Diego furnished with my pieces

My favorite city in America. I was stationed there in the Navy from boot camp through A-school. My sister has been living in Escondido since 1969.

Forum List

Back