Glock 40 MOS

Iron Head

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2015
I bought the new Glock 40 mos yesterday plus a 150 rounds of ammo. I am headed to the range tomorrow to try it out, and I can't wait! It's a big gun, much bigger than other Glocks and my 1911. I have never owned a 10mm and I am anxious to see how it performs. The 40 itself is sexy as hell. I love the long slide.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,476
It ought to sling lead at a good distance. Set some targets up at 75 yards , or maybe even a hundred yards; and let me know how it does.

I love to shoot "at distance " with a handgun. Nothing better than hitting targets down range at about 75 to 100 yards away with a handgun.

I am hunting this fall with a handgun.

Shadow 355

• Banned
It ought to sling lead at a good distance. Set some targets up at 75 yards , or maybe even a hundred yards; and let me know how it does.

I love to shoot "at distance " with a handgun. Nothing better than hitting targets down range at about 75 to 100 yards away with a handgun.

I am hunting this fall with a handgun.

Shadow 355
Me too. I have a blast at the range distance shooting bowling pins and other targets up to 100 yards.

Me too. I have a blast at the range distance shooting bowling pins and other targets up to 100 yards.

In the mid 1990's ; my cousin ( now deceased ) lived in a trailer next to his in-laws house, on a farm. I took a .357 mag revolver ( 6" barrel ) and shot a stick - about one inch in diameter, at a distance of about 80 yards. I hit the stick every time. The stick, one inch in diameter and about five feet long - got hit, as I shot it on a hillside behind my cousins trailer.

This past fall ; shooting my Glock 17 ( 9mm - Gen 4 ) at about 80 yards on a silhouette of a terrorist, in a field ; on the far north side of the family farm. I put three rounds in the face of the bad guy, and all three rounds ( bullet holes ) were about one inch.....or less apart. My younger cousin was shocked. I am going to do more shooting in a few weeks - combat shooting & shooting at distance.....long range ( 70 to 100 yards ) shooting. I love to long range shoot and my all time favorite firearm......is a handgun. If the end of the world happened tomorrow and I could only have one weapon.....it would be a handgun.

I once took a "J Frame" handgun ( ?? 2" barrel ?? ) and shot 60 yards with it on a 12 ounce soda can - hitting it multiple times.

A .357 magnum revolver on multiple sized targets at 70 and 80 yards away.

I quick draw and shoot - quick draw and shoot multiple targets - long distance shoot ( about 80 yards commonly ) - run, draw and shoot - shoot from concealed position - shoot laying down - shoot weak handed - one handed reload - shoot in low light and in darkness - draw from concealed ( under a shirt ) and shoot - shoot target to the front and then target at left or right side ( 90 degree angle ) - shoot the bad guy ( in the head - brain box ) holding the hostage.....and a host of many more scenarios / situations. Its great practice.

Me and my cousin are going to make twice a year a shooting party ( about 600 rounds ) for the both of us. Once in the spring and once in the fall - scenarios as in the above paragraph.

I love my Glock 17, it is extremely......extremely accurate. I am looking for a Sig P229 ( .40 caliber ) next - a short range "Thumper " ( energy - 180 grain bullet ) handgun ; in the sense of a 1911 Commander model, I just think of the P229 as a Double Action Commander ( 1911 ) handgun, packed with 40 caliber energy ( 180 grain bullet ).

Long range hand gunning. Ahhhhh - nice.

Shadow 355

image-jpeg.52752

It does look like it will throw lead......well down range. Way down range.

Put shots on target, let us know how it does. Wal-Mart ammo - 180 grain ; should do well. Hold your ears, it will be loud.

Put up some scrap steel, about an inch thick and 3 feet in diameter and shoot it. Paint it white to make the rounds stand out more when you hit it

I can see that thing being pulled out of a shoulder holster. Gee whiz.

Take pictures and post. :)

Shadow 355

I have a Colt Delta Elite and I shoot that out to 400 yards on a not too infrequent basis.

• Banned
I took the G40 to the range. It is definitely a sweet shooting piece without as much recoil as I expected. However, I had shitty ammo - American Eagle 180 gr. That is the only 10mm ammo that I could locate around here. It was inconsistent, inaccurate, and very dirty. I knew it was not great stuff, but this caliber cartridge performed poorly. I could not group my shots worth a damn. I eventually stopped and set up some knock down targets in the field and just started blasting. I ran 200 rounds of the crap stuff through it.

I went online and ordered 250 rounds of Remington 180 gr target ammo and 240 rounds of Buffalo Bore 180 gr jhp heavy. The Buffalo Bore just arrived yesterday. I am headed to the range again this weekend to see how the 40 responds with good and full power ammo. I want to get proficient with it so I can slay hogs this fall.

for self defense, the 40 S&W is a dying cartridge since modern 9mm ammo is just as effective for self defense and is less abusive to your joints, etc. The place where 40 is going to remain big is USPSA/IPSC LIMITED division because 9mm and 38 super cannot be used as "major" (higher scoring) calibers in LIMITED Guns but 40 can. which is why my son shoots an STI in limited.

now as to the 10mm. The GLOCK in 10mm is the single best BACKUP firearm or SD firearm for someone who has to work or travels through BEAR country and is not able to carry a rifle or a slug gun. A GLOCK with 3 loaded extra magazines weighs less than those big 5 shot heavy SW revolvers and 15 rounds of 10MM is going to ruin just about any bear's day in a NY Second. I don't own a GLOCK in 10mm but If I lived in bear country, I would have it in my car

I took the G40 to the range. It is definitely a sweet shooting piece without as much recoil as I expected. However, I had shitty ammo - American Eagle 180 gr. That is the only 10mm ammo that I could locate around here. It was inconsistent, inaccurate, and very dirty. I knew it was not great stuff, but this caliber cartridge performed poorly. I could not group my shots worth a damn. I eventually stopped and set up some knock down targets in the field and just started blasting. I ran 200 rounds of the crap stuff through it.

I went online and ordered 250 rounds of Remington 180 gr target ammo and 240 rounds of Buffalo Bore 180 gr jhp heavy. The Buffalo Bore just arrived yesterday. I am headed to the range again this weekend to see how the 40 responds with good and full power ammo. I want to get proficient with it so I can slay hogs this fall.

this is good stuff for the money though they are currently out of it

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...izan+PPU+10mm+180grn+JHP+50rd+Box&groupid=273

for self defense, the 40 S&W is a dying cartridge since modern 9mm ammo is just as effective for self defense and is less abusive to your joints, etc. The place where 40 is going to remain big is USPSA/IPSC LIMITED division because 9mm and 38 super cannot be used as "major" (higher scoring) calibers in LIMITED Guns but 40 can. which is why my son shoots an STI in limited.

now as to the 10mm. The GLOCK in 10mm is the single best BACKUP firearm or SD firearm for someone who has to work or travels through BEAR country and is not able to carry a rifle or a slug gun. A GLOCK with 3 loaded extra magazines weighs less than those big 5 shot heavy SW revolvers and 15 rounds of 10MM is going to ruin just about any bear's day in a NY Second. I don't own a GLOCK in 10mm but If I lived in bear country, I would have it in my car

The 40 S &W is right there with the 185 grain 45 ACP in ballistics , but generally offers more velocity, better range and energy than the 45 ACP.

The 40 caliber offers not only self defense criteria; but terrific anti-barrier tasks also.

The 40 S&W I see as the perfect short ( 15 - 25 yards ) and intermediate ( 60 - 70 yards ) range defense .

Some 9mm loads are right there, or next to the 357 Magnum .... and are great for 80 to 100 yard shots .

Shadow 355

The trend setters such as the FBI have gone back to the 9mm. at the nationally prominent TDI in southeastern Ohio, the instructors all went back to the 9mm after shooting 40s since it was causing tendonitis and other problems. BTW I shot 45 (hot-power factor 175 for USPSA and over 200 for Pins) for years without any problems but shooting the 40 was much harder on my elbows. the 45 operates at MUCH lower (18000 versus 40K+)) pressures than the 40 and thus the guns last much longer

The trend setters such as the FBI have gone back to the 9mm. at the nationally prominent TDI in southeastern Ohio, the instructors all went back to the 9mm after shooting 40s since it was causing tendonitis and other problems. BTW I shot 45 (hot-power factor 175 for USPSA and over 200 for Pins) for years without any problems but shooting the 40 was much harder on my elbows. the 45 operates at MUCH lower (18000 versus 40K+)) pressures than the 40 and thus the guns last much longer

SEMI-AUTOMATIC PISTOLS - Federal Business Opportunities: Opportunities

? ? Sig P229 like the Secret Service carries as well as other various Federal Law Enforcement Officers. ??

Shadow 355

I noted the trend was away from the 40. I cannot tell if you are agreeing or disagreeing.

The FBI wants a flat shooting cartridge. The Secret Service and Federal Air Marshals use 357 Sig ; which is a 9 mm bullet ( .355 diameter bullet ) in a necked down 40 caliber case. The .357 Sig ammo is more expensive than 9 mm. 9mm +P ammo is close to the. .357 Sig and .357 Magnum ( .357 diameter bullet & 38 caliber ) - but 9 mm ammo is cheaper . Less muzzle blast so it would be easier on the ears- less recoil and 9 mm is less wear on the handgun than the .357 Sig.

Back some time ago it was shoot the perp two or three times . Now the standard in Law Enforcement is shoot till the threat is stopped. Times ago if you shot a drug crazed criminal six or seven times the Cop was the bad guy. Now ..... The standard is shoot as many times as you need to stop the perps.

Sig Sauer is famous among Federal Law Enforcement ; especially the Secret Service and US Federal Air Marshals. If Sig gives the FBI a good price based on bulk sales for other Federal Agencies; they will go with a P229.

If Sig does not give the FBI a good price- I expect Glock 19s and Glock 17s to fill FBI holsters.

Sig has their benefits over Glock and Glock has their benefits over Sig.

Shadow 355

Last edited:
I noted the trend was away from the 40. I cannot tell if you are agreeing or disagreeing.

The FBI wants a flat shooting cartridge. The Secret Service and Federal Air Marshals use 357 Sig ; which is a 9 mm bullet ( .355 diameter bullet ) in a necked down 40 caliber case. The .357 Sig ammo is more expensive than 9 mm. 9mm +P ammo is close to the. .357 Sig and .357 Magnum ( .357 diameter bullet & 38 caliber ) - but 9 mm ammo is cheaper . Less muzzle blast so it would be easier on the ears- less recoil and 9 mm is less wear on the handgun than the .357 Sig.

Back some time ago it was shoot the perp two or three times . Now the standard in Law Enforcement is shoot till the threat is stopped. Times ago if you shot a drug crazed criminal six or seven times the Cop was the bad guy. Now ..... The standard is shoot as many times as you need to stop the perps.

Sig Sauer is famous among Federal Law Enforcement ; especially the Secret Service and US Federal Air Marshals. If Sig gives the FBI a good price based on bulk sales for other Federal Agencies; they will go with a P229.

If Sig does not give the FBI a good price- I expect Glock 19s and Glock 17s to fill FBI holsters.

Sig has their benefits over Glock and Glock has their benefits over Sig.

Shadow 355

true-we (the wife and I) own at least of dozen of each pistol brand

We have single action SIGS (238, 938, ad 1911s as well as 220, 226, 228, 229 and 239) and Glock 26, 19, 17, 17L 34, 21, 22, 23

I am a member of the GSSF "Glock 500" club. I also shot DE on the USMS qualification course with the GLOCK 19, the 22, 23, SIG 226

on of my favorite ammo merchants was selling wolf 9mm for 8 bucks a box in an email special and since I am 10 minutes or so from the HQs I showed up. I was told they had 40 bucks off handguns and got a GLOCK 34 MOS (9mm) to go along with several other 34s we have. ordered a C-More RMR for it. gonna use it in GSSF (Unlimited) division

I finally got back to the range yesterday, but it was an abbreviated session for me because I had my son with me. Virtually all of my attention was on him. I did run a 100 rounds of Remington 180gr. through it at 25 and 50 yards and shot a box of 20 heavy Buffalo Bore 180 gr. I like the heavy ammo, and you can really tell the difference between it and the lighter stuff. I am going to try to get back out there this weekend by myself and do some serious work.

I would note that some of the MOS PLATES do NOT WORK for the SIGHTS that GLOCK CLAIM they do

C-MORE and DOCTOR (03 and 01) do NOT FIT. GLOCK is trying to come up with a plate that actually works with the C-More STS sight. The more expensive LEOPOLD DELTA POINT (Plate #04) DOES work with that sight

Forum List

Back