Genetic Horse Ready for Olympics Within Ten Years?

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Should genetically enhanced animals be allowed to compete? Designer humans either?

Genetically engineered ‘super-horses’ to be born in 2019 and could soon compete in Olympics

Scientists in Argentina successfully used a powerful DNA editing technique called Crispr to rewrite the genomes of cloned horses.

Healthy embryos were produced following the procedure, which the researchers plan to implant into a surrogate mother within two years.

The team focussed on boosting the myostatin gene sequence which is crucial to muscle development, endurance and speed.

Theoretically, animals designed in such a way should be able to run faster, for longer, and jump higher more easily.

Traditionally the same traits would be achieved by breeding animals which already exhibited desirable features. But it can take many generations to develop a beneficial trait.​

I think they should be allowed. Competitions ultimately are designed to foster increased utility in domesticated animals.
Or maybe they need their own class.

Should genetically enhanced animals be allowed to compete? Designer humans either?

Genetically engineered ‘super-horses’ to be born in 2019 and could soon compete in Olympics

Scientists in Argentina successfully used a powerful DNA editing technique called Crispr to rewrite the genomes of cloned horses.

Healthy embryos were produced following the procedure, which the researchers plan to implant into a surrogate mother within two years.

The team focussed on boosting the myostatin gene sequence which is crucial to muscle development, endurance and speed.

Theoretically, animals designed in such a way should be able to run faster, for longer, and jump higher more easily.

Traditionally the same traits would be achieved by breeding animals which already exhibited desirable features. But it can take many generations to develop a beneficial trait.​

There is really no difference when compared to NASCAR.

Teams are constantly looking for innovations that will make their cars faster and better than the rest of the field. However, if any one team finds too big of an advantage and starts winning too easily, that makes racing predictable and boring to the fans. Bored fans mean empty grandstand seats, which means less revenue.

Understandably, NASCAR has gone to some pretty extreme lengths to ensure a level playing field.

However, when it comes to those 'super horses', they should not be allowed to compete for the same reasons.

Last edited:

Teams are constantly looking for innovations that will make their cars faster and better than the rest of the field. However, if any one team finds too big of an advantage and starts winning too easily, that makes racing predictable and boring to the fans. Bored fans mean empty grandstand seats, which means less revenue.

Understandably, NASCAR has gone to some pretty extreme lengths to ensure a level playing field.

However, when it comes to those 'super horses', they should not be allowed to compete for the same reasons.

I think NASCAR should start with stock cars, actually bought cars, and race in rural streets like the moonshiners of olde did.

That would be real racing, not this pexiglass body over a racing frame rig they use now and boring repetitive race tracks.

I think NASCAR should start with stock cars, actually bought cars, and race in rural streets like the moonshiners of olde did.

That would be real racing, not this pexiglass body over a racing frame rig they use now and boring repetitive race tracks.
And short life spans for the drivers.

What will happen is they will allow them...and they won't be any more predisposed to winning than the ones that are just bred the old fashioned way.

"“I've seen and done thousands of autopsies on horses, and nothing I'd ever seen compared to it. The heart of the average horse weighs about nine pounds. This was almost twice the average size, and a third larger than any equine heart I'd ever seen. And it wasn't pathologically enlarged. All the chambers and the valves were normal. It was just larger. I think it told us why he was able to do what he did.”

Secretariats-heart-615x400.jpg

"Secretariat had an unusually large heart – estimated at 22 pounds, while the average Thoroughbred heart is 8.5 pounds. This tremendous cardiovascular system, pumping oxygen into his lungs at an abnormally high rate, was clearly a source of his stamina and power."

"...

the large heart traces to a single mare, Pocahontas, born in England in 1837, heralding back to the great sire Eclipse,:

"While Secretariat was able to produce a Thriving Legacy, including 1986 Horse of the Year Lady’s Secret, he never replicated himself."

God makes the great ones. Not man.

“Secretariat's absence of major conformation flaws was important, as horses with well-made limbs and feet are less likely to become injured. Secretariat's hindquarters were the main source of his power, with a sloped croup that extended the length of his femur. When in full stride, his hind legs were able to reach far under himself, increasing his drive. His ample girth, long back and well-made neck all contributed to his heart-lung efficiency.”

"...he still holds the fastest times for the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness Stakes, and the Belmont Stakes."

Secretariat’s Heart Size: Inside the Tremendous Machine - Horse Racing Nation

Secretariat's peak average stride was 24.5feet.

American Pharoah had a longer stride, something over 25 feet...but didn't run as fast.

Last edited:
What will happen is they will allow them...and they won't be any more predisposed to winning than the ones that are just bred the old fashioned way.

"“I've seen and done thousands of autopsies on horses, and nothing I'd ever seen compared to it. The heart of the average horse weighs about nine pounds. This was almost twice the average size, and a third larger than any equine heart I'd ever seen. And it wasn't pathologically enlarged. All the chambers and the valves were normal. It was just larger. I think it told us why he was able to do what he did.”

Secretariats-heart-615x400.jpg

"Secretariat had an unusually large heart – estimated at 22 pounds, while the average Thoroughbred heart is 8.5 pounds. This tremendous cardiovascular system, pumping oxygen into his lungs at an abnormally high rate, was clearly a source of his stamina and power."

"...

the large heart traces to a single mare, Pocahontas, born in England in 1837, heralding back to the great sire Eclipse,:

"While Secretariat was able to produce a Thriving Legacy, including 1986 Horse of the Year Lady’s Secret, he never replicated himself."

God makes the great ones. Not man.

“Secretariat's absence of major conformation flaws was important, as horses with well-made limbs and feet are less likely to become injured. Secretariat's hindquarters were the main source of his power, with a sloped croup that extended the length of his femur. When in full stride, his hind legs were able to reach far under himself, increasing his drive. His ample girth, long back and well-made neck all contributed to his heart-lung efficiency.”

"...he still holds the fastest times for the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness Stakes, and the Belmont Stakes."

Secretariat’s Heart Size: Inside the Tremendous Machine - Horse Racing Nation

Secretariat's peak average stride was 24.5feet.

American Pharoah had a longer stride, something over 25 feet...but didn't run as fast.

I read somewhere that in one of Secretariats final races, I want to say it was the Belmont but I dont remember, Secretariat was increasing his speed at each quarter mile. He got faster and faster as the race went on.

He was one hell of a horse..

Forum List

Back