Generals and Politics

Shrimpbox

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2013
Carrabelle, fl. 60 miles s of tallahassee
I watched this interview with dismay as well as consternation for a man I used to have the utmost respect for. My wife and I often wished Colin Powell would run for President so we could vote for him but as this interview shows Powell’s contempt for Trump overrides any sense of reason or logic, just like McCain and so many in the establishment.
i am sure jake tapper was salivating over getting another eminence grise for a full throated trump bashing interview. This is the strategy of all the tds media now, pile on the president and get famous person after famous person to go on record saying they will not vote for trump. Powell is apparently in the Romney mold of rhino so he fits perfectly into the republican category of never trumpers.
Powell chooses his words carefully and doesn’t claim the president violates the constitution but is drifting away from it. He never cites any specific examples but rather leans heavily on the lying narrative, at one point saying none of the previous presidents ever lied the way trump does. Conveniently forgetting bush’s weapons of mass destruction or Obama’s you can keep your doctor and save $2500 dollars a year, a lie that has harmed way more people and 1/6 of the economy. And as with so many who bring up the constitution, their Achilles heel is always the fact that they never visit the Obama weaponization of govt agencies and soft coup that is an orders of magnitude more serious constitutional crisis than anything trump has done. To ignore the issue of subverting our democracy just makes Powell’s constitutional argument a fraud.
The icing on the cake comes towards the end of the interview as Tapper drones on about trump wanting to call in the troops and Powell starts marching in unison with him saying that it should only be a last resort and shouldn’t be used right before he said he called the troops in during the Rodney King riots. The hypocrisy here is so rich one can cut it with a knife. It is sad to see a good man so intellectually contort himself into a pretzel just to reach the outcome that Jake Tapper requires of his interviewee.

General Mattis is another person I have great respect for, especially when he has publicly said he does not believe in offering his opinion from the peanut gallery and until last week he had kept his word. I get what the General is saying about the bond that has to exist between the armed forces and civilians, it is a point well taken. But where is the tipping point for such actions. No one is ever going to make me believe that Mattis would agree with deserting a police station and turning over the building to a mob. At what point are we at when in America’s greatest city, we are stringing barbed wire around Saks Fifth Ave? Does Mattis actually think that armed civilians protecting innocent people is going to end well?Mattis speaks of trump being such a divisive president and not trying to unite the country. He must have missed trumps executive actions bringing the justice dept. and the fbi on board immediately, his speech at cape canavera, or his constant comments about what happened in Minneapolis should never happen. For a man who talks about unity, why is he at the height of the violence undermining the authority of the president of the United States and stealthily hinting that quite possibly the men and women of the armed forces should not obey the commander in Chief. This is heresy especially coming from a man so steeped in the tradition of our military and there is no danger to the country that warrants such speech.
Trump has not called the82nd Airborne out on the streets and it is quite possible that the threat of doing so quelled some of the violence.

Those on the left will say that these generals just show how off the rails Trump is. But there is not a constitutional crisis, never has been on trumps part, even as there is a never ending waterfall of lies coming from the media. Maybe if these generals focused on the damage being done to the country by the press, the congress, the violence, and the false narratives they would do whole lot more for our constitution and our unity, assuming their goals are to preserve the union and not to preserve the establishment.

i am sure jake tapper was salivating over getting another eminence grise for a full throated trump bashing interview. This is the strategy of all the tds media now, pile on the president and get famous person after famous person to go on record saying they will not vote for trump. Powell is apparently in the Romney mold of rhino so he fits perfectly into the republican category of never trumpers.

Has it occurred to you that if all these eminent people across the political and professional spectrum are all saying Trump's behavior and leadership is unacceptable, they might have a point?

Maybe if these generals focused on the damage being done to the country by the press, the congress, the violence, and the false narratives they would do whole lot more for our constitution and our unity, assuming their goals are to preserve the union and not to preserve the establishment.

Or - maybe - if the Press, the Security establishment, Congress, etc. are all saying, "Trump is off the rails", maybe they have a point.

The real problem- Trump was always unfit for office. People hoped he would grow into the role, but clearly he hasn't and never will treat the office with the dignity and decorum required.

I haven't a jot of respect for Powell, he's just another angry black looting and pillaging, a man proven to be a bad leader... You folks need to stop listening to politicians and their media propagandists who tell you which men and women to worship, that this is a man or women of impeccable character, or possessing unimpeachable integrity. That is just what they told you about Robert Mueller, James Comey, General James Mattis, John Mccain, Jeff Sessions, and many many others, including Colin Powell, all of them are the exact opposite of those stated qualities, all of these men are the scum of creation....

They tried to court martial a combat Marine officer for pissing on enemy corpses. Doesn't pissing on the Constitution mean anything? Why don't retired generals and admirals and especially intelligence wonks take an oath to refrain from criticizing the President of the United States while he is in office? It seems to happen only to republicans.

I watched this interview with dismay as well as consternation for a man I used to have the utmost respect for. My wife and I often wished Colin Powell would run for President so we could vote for him but as this interview shows Powell’s contempt for Trump overrides any sense of reason or logic, just like McCain and so many in the establishment.
Powell chooses his words carefully and doesn’t claim the president violates the constitution but is drifting away from it. He never cites any specific examples but rather leans heavily on the lying narrative, at one point saying none of the previous presidents ever lied the way trump does. Conveniently forgetting bush’s weapons of mass destruction or Obama’s you can keep your doctor and save $2500 dollars a year, a lie that has harmed way more people and 1/6 of the economy. And as with so many who bring up the constitution, their Achilles heel is always the fact that they never visit the Obama weaponization of govt agencies and soft coup that is an orders of magnitude more serious constitutional crisis than anything trump has done. To ignore the issue of subverting our democracy just makes Powell’s constitutional argument a fraud.
The icing on the cake comes towards the end of the interview as Tapper drones on about trump wanting to call in the troops and Powell starts marching in unison with him saying that it should only be a last resort and shouldn’t be used right before he said he called the troops in during the Rodney King riots. The hypocrisy here is so rich one can cut it with a knife. It is sad to see a good man so intellectually contort himself into a pretzel just to reach the outcome that Jake Tapper requires of his interviewee.

General Mattis is another person I have great respect for, especially when he has publicly said he does not believe in offering his opinion from the peanut gallery and until last week he had kept his word. I get what the General is saying about the bond that has to exist between the armed forces and civilians, it is a point well taken. But where is the tipping point for such actions. No one is ever going to make me believe that Mattis would agree with deserting a police station and turning over the building to a mob. At what point are we at when in America’s greatest city, we are stringing barbed wire around Saks Fifth Ave? Does Mattis actually think that armed civilians protecting innocent people is going to end well?Mattis speaks of trump being such a divisive president and not trying to unite the country. He must have missed trumps executive actions bringing the justice dept. and the fbi on board immediately, his speech at cape canavera, or his constant comments about what happened in Minneapolis should never happen. For a man who talks about unity, why is he at the height of the violence undermining the authority of the president of the United States and stealthily hinting that quite possibly the men and women of the armed forces should not obey the commander in Chief. This is heresy especially coming from a man so steeped in the tradition of our military and there is no danger to the country that warrants such speech.
Trump has not called the82nd Airborne out on the streets and it is quite possible that the threat of doing so quelled some of the violence.

Those on the left will say that these generals just show how off the rails Trump is. But there is not a constitutional crisis, never has been on trumps part, even as there is a never ending waterfall of lies coming from the media. Maybe if these generals focused on the damage being done to the country by the press, the congress, the violence, and the false narratives they would do whole lot more for our constitution and our unity, assuming their goals are to preserve the union and not to preserve the establishment.
The actual fact is that your support of "Trump overrides any sense of reason or logic." Something is seriously, mentally wrong with you people who want Trump to be our president. Seriously mental.

The actual fact is that your support of "Trump overrides any sense of reason or logic." Something is seriously, mentally wrong with you people who want Trump to be our president. Seriously mental.
You and Powell have TDS and can't list the items "of reason and logic" against Trump, and yet call Trump supporters "mental"?! So Ill give you a specific list of items that Trump supporters like about Trump:
1. Start out during the 2016 election season where the MSM went crazy against Trump. He had less than zero chance of winning. Yet, look what happened...

2. The Obama admin using Operation Crossfire Hurricane setup the Trump campaign using foreign assets for the "Russian Collusion" narrative. The DOJ, FBI, CIA, and other agencies illegally spied on the Trump campaign using HRC and DNC "dirt", aka the Steele Dossier, paid for by the HRC campaign, and the DNC to the Russians!! You can't make this shit up. The FBI falsified evidence, the DOJ created the Mueller Investigation with no credible evidence, and then the House democrats impeach Trump over a phone call?!
Trump beat them all.

3. Here is the official list of Trump accomplishments, aka "promises kept"

4. This thread, why generals like Powell, Kelly, and Mattis don't like Trump? Trump is getting us out of war zones and the EU and making allies fund more of their own defense. Trump was right to "abandon" the Kurds and not oppose Turkey's invasion, yet give the Kurds oil fields to fund their defense, that was a win-win-win.

Last edited:
It takes time for me to put o

It takes a lot of effort and time to put an op together that is fact based and reasoned. People like me expect replies to be in the same vein but my naïveté was crushed many years ago on this board. Take this op, joe b, you and others just parrot, trump is bad man, there is nothing else, it is nothing but hate and before Donald trump was elected hate was bad and to be condemned. Democrats find hate to e the only political strategy because just like on this board or in the media, they cannot win an argument. Responding to unserious people is a waste of time. Any deep thinkers on this board live on an island.

It takes a lot of effort and time to put an op together that is fact based and reasoned. People like me expect replies to be in the same vein but my naïveté was crushed many years ago on this board. Take this op, joe b, you and others just parrot, trump is bad man, there is nothing else, it is nothing but hate and before Donald trump was elected hate was bad and to be condemned. Democrats find hate to e the only political strategy because just like on this board or in the media, they cannot win an argument. Responding to unserious people is a waste of time. Any deep thinkers on this board live on an island.
It is not anything so simple as hate. Your post shows your simplemindedness. He is bad for this country. Everything he has done has been bad for this country. It is tiresome to outline ad nauseam what he has done to destroy this country. You all seem to pretend you haven't got a clue when you do know what is wrong, and it is delineated daily by historians, former military leaders, former presidents, senators, congressmen, governors, mayors, and all kinds of specialists in relevant fields, including many, many present and former Republicans. In his interview, Colin Powel explains in detail why he has a problem with Trump; you just don't want to accept it. Don't whine about not getting specific details on why people are against him; you are just being juvenile and simple minded.

Colin Powel and General Mattis are true patriots and have actually fought for this country while Drumph avoided the draft (in the middle of a war) five times. So when they say he is a danger to the country and the constitution, he probably is.

Last edited:

Apparently you weren't watching when he was Sec of State

Both sides are too set in their ways for ANY sort of reasoned argument to hold any sort of sway over the other.
Why put in the time to make a reasoned argument, when the other side will just dismiss it, even if they KNOW it's true?
Trump does that ALL the time when he is confronted by reporters who use facts to deny what Trump is saying, or has said. Trump just blows them off, or doubles down to lie again about whatever it is.
Sure Presidents have lied in the past, but it was sporadic and occasional compared to Trump.
Trump lies to us all day, every day, 24/7 in speeches, in tweets and in policy.
He even lies to our allies by making promises and breaking them. Look what he did to the Kurds.
Will Biden be bad? Maybe
Will Biden lie? Probably
Will Biden be as bad or lie as much as Trump? Not even close.

Well Mattis and Kelly and Especially McMasters had policy issues with Obama. But they never felt a need to publicly say Obama was overstepping the constitution. If you don't think an actual attempt to use active duty military to put down a protest is not a constitutional crisis, you are simply blind.

And the reason they (not McMasters) had to speak out was because Esper and Milley were used, maybe without their knowledge, by Barr (the chief civil law enforcement official) and Trump to show the non-active military would disperse a crowd for a presidential photo op.

Both sides are too set in their ways for ANY sort of reasoned argument to hold any sort of sway over the other.
Why put in the time to make a reasoned argument, when the other side will just dismiss it, even if they KNOW it's true?
Trump does that ALL the time when he is confronted by reporters who use facts to deny what Trump is saying, or has said. Trump just blows them off, or doubles down to lie again about whatever it is.
Sure Presidents have lied in the past, but it was sporadic and occasional compared to Trump.
Trump lies to us all day, every day, 24/7 in speeches, in tweets and in policy.
He even lies to our allies by making promises and breaking them. Look what he did to the Kurds.
Will Biden be bad? Maybe
Will Biden lie? Probably
Will Biden be as bad or lie as much as Trump? Not even close.
I noticed you didn't reply to my post #7, proving your point that we do not debate, we just ignore each other and stay set in our ways.
Trump ignores the "gotcha" questions by the "fake news" reporters. McEneny is showing reporters what questions need to be asked of democrats.
Look at the Kurds, they now have oil fields to pay for defense, there was no mass executions by the Turks, and no US soldiers were hurt, Trump was right, the generals were wrong. win-win-win
Biden is a basket case who belongs in an old folks home somewhere, watch the coming debates.

Forum List

Back