GDP expected to grow 0.4% the fourth quarter

A man that's not a politician or an economist made some lofty promises that are difficult or impossible to follow through on. What an unbelievable situation.

The-Ham-661x500.jpg

The NY Fed projects a 2019Q4 GDP of 0.71% almost double the Atlanta Fed's 0.4%
Nowcasting Report - FEDERAL RESERVE BANK of NEW YORK

I'm not worried, how much more can the economy grow? We're at full employment. The stock market is over-bought and setting records almost daily. The Fed is officially on "hold" regarding interest rates. The next action is expected to be a "cut" not a raise in interest rates. What's not to like?

For those of you praying for a recession, or two consecutive quarters of negative growth, it ain't happening in 2020.

I'm not worried, how much more can the economy grow? We're at full employment. The stock market is over-bought and setting records almost daily. The Fed is officially on "hold" regarding interest rates. The next action is expected to be a "cut" not a raise in interest rates. What's not to like?

For those of you praying for a recession, or two consecutive quarters of negative growth, it ain't happening in 2020.
Did you think your 0.7 was gonna make Trump's 4% promise look good?

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
On top of this the rate was just fixed upwards to 2.1% from 1.9% from last quarter...
The comparison is 2.1 vs 4%.
But you thought comparing 2.1 to 1.9 would somehow make Trump's promise look good.
You failed.

Did you think your 0.7 was gonna make Trump's 4% promise look good?

Trump always exaggerates. The Fed killed any shot at even 3% last December when it raised rates too fast and put the economy in a tailspin. The economy recovered, but its just chugging along around 2% not 4%. At about 3% the Budget Deficit would be covered. I'm not a fan of "economic bubbles" of boom-bust cycles. I'd rather raise the top tax rate and cover more of the deficit.
But to answer your question, 4% was an exaggeration. We're at full employment. The only lever Trump has to pull are trade agreements to get a better deal for the US, and I'm not sure how much they can move the needle.

It was very nice to see last quarter's 1.9% figure increased to 2.1%. I've seen other estimates of 1.5% to 2.0% for 2020, so here's hoping.

Trump wasn't lying when he said GDP would be four to five percent. He was just bullshitting out of pure ignorance and cartoonish bravado, prototypical narcissistic behavior, knowing that he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and his Trumpsters would spin for him.

I'll guarantee you they thought he would get us to those numbers, and are blaming someone else for us getting only half way there (all at the cost of an exploded deficit).

The OP Cherry picked the 0.4% on purpose.........the actual growth is 1.7% which could be better.......but the 0.4% is a lie....................

Imagine that..........

It was very nice to see last quarter's 1.9% figure increased to 2.1%. I've seen other estimates of 1.5% to 2.0% for 2020, so here's hoping.

Trump wasn't lying when he said GDP would be four to five percent. He was just bullshitting out of pure ignorance and cartoonish bravado, prototypical narcissistic behavior, knowing that he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and his Trumpsters would spin for him.

I'll guarantee you they thought he would get us to those numbers, and are blaming someone else for us getting only half way there (all at the cost of an exploded deficit).
The Deficit is a roller coaster ride of unfunded liabilities..........which we have a snowballs chance in hell of paying.................Enjoy the ride on the roller coaster.........because the tracks aren't finished on the end of the ride............

Everyone should know this.............and it doesn't end well.

About the only thing growing are Trump's deficits!
True Obama had some huge deficits, but then he inherited The Great Recession, which was the biggest economic downturn since the Great Depression' In the second term, Obama did some seriously shrinkage of the annual deficits.
Trump inherits a long-term growing economy and what does he do? Instead of continuing lowering the annual deficits, which all presidents have done in a growing economy, he increases the deficits!
Trump’s Budget Deficits Could Almost Double Obama’s
Make America's deficits great again
How Trump has made both the trade and budget deficits worse

The blame belongs to the Europeans who started this recession.

<< While almost everyone in Washington is glued to impeachment developments, Europe has been quietly drifting toward a recession. This is bad news for Christine Lagarde, the former head of the International Monetary Fund, who is now the president of the European Central Bank (ECB). It may also be bad news for the rest of us. >>

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...3ec8b2-07ca-11ea-818c-fcc65139e8c2_story.html
Seriously this is the best of all the excuses...

Germany growth has declined but at there deficit (actually a surplus of 1.2% of GDP).... Germany are in prime position to inject there economy, they think they might drop to balanced budget or a small dip of 1% ...

What is US outlook? Deficit 5.5% of GDP... They would have have to a least borrow an extra Trillion over 3 years to get out of a recession...

So go on and blame the Europeans...

Impeach him

but while you're waiting for him to be perpwalked out of the WH, give us a list of presidents that have made EVERY campaign promise come true.
This particular campaign promise is one that is going to hang on him like a garlic necklace on a vampire since he, among many others on the right, regularly attacked Obama for not having a year of GDP of 3% or greater. Now we have Trump, who's the only president on record to not have a quarter above 3.5%.

If you want to defend that, be my guest.

LOLOL

What a dumb comment. While it's true that employment slows down as the economy grows and there are fewer jobs available, GDP growth expands during a good economy.

And we've been at full employment since 2015 and the stock market's been hitting record highs since 2013.

Forum List

Back