Gas went from 3.61 to 3.99 withing minutes.

And this proves that your original assertion was wrong.

If you have to double up to equal one what is the greater value?
2 American dollars equal one pound.

Let me ask you this which is heavier a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?

You're trying to change the topic. We've been talking about the relative value of the dollar, not some abstraction of absolute value.
No I am not. but keep trying

Yeah, you are. This whole thing began with you saying the value of the dollar is falling.

But you're not saying the same thing now. You're trying to change the topic and saying that since a pound exchanges for 1.5 dollars, that means the dollar has declined.

1 pound equal 2 dollars and some change in 2008
1 pound equals 1 and 50 odd cent in 2012

You are still on this point!!! Wow...

Your original source:
What was the value of the dollar when Bush was president compared to now?

Relative to the Euro? About the same as it was in 2008.
Relative to the pound? It's around a ten year high.
Monthly Exchange Rate Average (American Dollar, Euro) 2008 - x-rates
March 2008 1.55202 USD

March 2012 1.31581 USD
hist2012.png

Any questions?
States that Mar 2008 has 1 euro returning 1.55 dollars.
and 2012:
Monthly Exchange Rate Average (American Dollar, Euro) 2012 - x-rates
States that Mar 2012 has 1 Euro returning 1.32 dollars.

That means in order to buy ONE euro you needed to spend 1.55 dollars in 2008 and to buy ONE euro you would need to spend 1.32 dollars in 2012. IOW, the dollar (relative to the euro) has INCREASED in value! YOUR source claims this. I do not see how you can state the fact that 1 euro is worth LESS DOLLARS in 2012 and yet somehow this means the dollar has decreased in value to the euro.

Now, that does not mean the dollar is worth more in real terms, just that it is worth more against the euro - another currency that changes in value in the same manner that the dollar does.

You are still on this point!!! Wow...

Your original source:
Relative to the Euro? About the same as it was in 2008.
Relative to the pound? It's around a ten year high.
March 2008 1.55202 USD

March 2012 1.31581 USD
hist2012.png

Any questions?
States that Mar 2008 has 1 euro returning 1.55 dollars.
and 2012:
Monthly Exchange Rate Average (American Dollar, Euro) 2012 - x-rates
States that Mar 2012 has 1 Euro returning 1.32 dollars.

That means in order to buy ONE euro you needed to spend 1.55 dollars in 2008 and to buy ONE euro you would need to spend 1.32 dollars in 2012. IOW, the dollar (relative to the euro) has INCREASED in value! YOUR source claims this. I do not see how you can state the fact that 1 euro is worth LESS DOLLARS in 2012 and yet somehow this means the dollar has decreased in value to the euro.

Now, that does not mean the dollar is worth more in real terms, just that it is worth more against the euro - another currency that changes in value in the same manner that the dollar does.
What I am saying is and have said repeatedly what you could get in regards to the value of the dollar exchange rate in 2008 you get less now.

But you're not saying the same thing now. You're trying to change the topic and saying that since a pound exchanges for 1.5 dollars, that means the dollar has declined.

You're the one that keeps changing we have you on record for doing that. Not me I have said the same thing over and over.No matter how hard you try what you say is not true.

What I am saying is and have said repeatedly what you could get in regards to the value of the dollar exchange rate in 2008 you get less now.

But that is simply NOT true. If you were to turn in one dollar You would get the following in March:

2008: .65 euro
2012: .75 euro
Monthly Exchange Rate Average (Euro, American Dollar) 2008 - x-rates
Monthly Exchange Rate Average (Euro, American Dollar) 2012 - x-rates

No matter how you slice it, 2008 dollars were worth LESS than 2012 dollars in relation to the euro.

But that is simply NOT true. If you were to turn in one dollar You would get the following in March:

No matter how you slice it, 2008 dollars were worth LESS than 2012 dollars in relation to the euro.

It's simply true and not true on your part.
March 2008
1.55202 USD
March 2012
1.31736 USD

It's simply true and not true on your part.
March 2008
1.55202 USD
March 2012
1.31736 USD

And? You posted the dollars you get for 1 euro and that shows that your dollar is worth LESS in 2008. Case in point: if we were to go into hyper inflation to the point that the dollar was worth half what it was in March 2012, your new figure would be 2.63 per euro. Are you saying that is a good thing? Do you think the figure from 2012 is worse than the figure from 2008? What makes you say so?

The fact is: the HIGHER that number - the LOWER our dollar value. You asked Obama to STOP devaluing our currency in this very thread. It seems you are arguing that you want MORE devaluation.

Remember also that your statement was this:

IOW: you get the figures I posted .65 and .75 respectively. The figure you posted is NOT what you get for the dollar. That is what you get for a EURO. So, it is true that you get LESS now for a euro and that you get MORE for the dollar. So, no. The statement I made is not 'true and not true' on my part. It was totally true on my part.

We could do some simple math to show it as well:

I want to buy a chair that cost 100 euro. In 2008 that couch would cost
Base euro cost x exchange rate = total cost in dollars

100 x 1.55 = 155 dollars for the chair

In 2012:
100 x 1.31 = 131 dollars for the chair

So, you get MORE for the same dollar. In reverse, if the chair cost 100 dollars and you purchased it with euro:

100 x .65 = 65 Euro for the chair
100 x .75 = 75 Euro for the chair

Again, this shows that the same dollar amount cost MORE in euro in 2012. In other words, those dollars, are again, worth more as compared to the euro. There is no way to cook the numbers showing that you get more of anything in 2008 over what you are getting in 2012 for your dollar.

Last edited:

You're the one that keeps changing we have you on record for doing that. Not me I have said the same thing over and over.No matter how hard you try what you say is not true.

That's never been the discussion. The discussion has always been the relative value of the dollar.

That's never been the discussion. The discussion has always been the relative value of the dollar.

No you tried to make it relative value. Not my argument.

You can't get the same value now that you could get in 2008.

You realize the bold part is about relative value right? It's also untrue. As has been shown repeatedly in this thread, you get more value today than you got in 2008.

You realize the bold part is about relative value right? It's also untrue. As has been shown repeatedly in this thread, you get more value today than you got in 2008.

My term is a simple term one pound in 2008 you could get a little over two dollars. in 2012 you get less dollars for the same amount of pound.

Right, which means the dollar has increased in value. A pound will buy less dollars is the same as stating the dollar buys more pounds.

Right, which means the dollar has increased in value. A pound will buy less dollars is the same as stating the dollar buys more pounds.

How do you get an increase when you get less?
1 pound = 2 dollars and change in 2008
1 pound = 1 dollar and some change in 2012.
Do the math

Forum List

Back