Gas Prices

It's been about the same here today.

It fluctuates between 2.85 and 3.05 all the time,for regular. Always goes up on Thursdays here.

Someone at work told me that because of this pipeline thing,it could go up to 3.70..... I have no idea if this is true,or where she got that.

I can't even remember when it was below 2.50 !!!! :scratch:

$3.24 around here. However when I went to the Iowa/Illinois border today, it was about 3.00. :dunno:

I heard that the price per barrel fell today, assumption of falling demand for jet fuel...

It's sad when it takes 35-$40 to fill up a Dodge Neon. I think when we bought it,it took round 15 to fill it up

I don't know how people with large trucks and SUV's do it!! Thank God the hubby drives a company vehicle while at work. My stepdad does drywall too,but his company doesn't provide a vehicle or gas money,except once in a while they will cut him a small check and tax it:whip:

Actually the price might not go up. Busting the terror plot has actually made crude prices go down. Im not expecting to see that at the pump but i am hoping it will atleast keep it from jumping up

It"s still below $3 here.

I cringe whenever I fill up my van, it costs around $60 if it's empty. My husbands car gets 32mpg though and he does most of the driving.

i don't pay attention to regular prices because Tim's company buys fuel at wholesale and employees can fill their vehicles at the same price, and it just comes out of their paycheck the following week. This week, the price there is at about $2.50.

But I do pay attention to premium because thats what the caddy takes... :alco: as long as we can get a week's worth of fuel out of the caddy, it still is ok. MPG is about 20-25 depending on driving habits & Tim takes a work truck home a few nights a week anyway, so lately fuel has been lasting 2 weeks.

i don't pay attention to regular prices because Tim's company buys fuel at wholesale and employees can fill their vehicles at the same price, and it just comes out of their paycheck the following week. This week, the price there is at about $2.50.

But I do pay attention to premium because thats what the caddy takes... :alco: as long as we can get a week's worth of fuel out of the caddy, it still is ok. MPG is about 20-25 depending on driving habits & Tim takes a work truck home a few nights a week anyway, so lately fuel has been lasting 2 weeks.

Save your money, fuzzy. I researched this premium gas thing a few years ago.
It's not worth the extra $$$ really. I found tons of info that said the same as the below.

Prejudice and preference aside, engineers, scientists and the federal government say there's little need for premium.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-07-30-premiumgas_x.htm

*Yes, I use regular in a car that calls for premium, without any problems at all.*

Save your money, fuzzy. I researched this premium gas thing a few years ago.
It's not worth the extra $$$ really. I found tons of info that said the same as the below.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-07-30-premiumgas_x.htm

*Yes, I use regular in a car that calls for premium, without any problems at all.*

actually, the owners manual says it takes no less than 91 octane. We did have to put regular in it once and it had a light knocking for that entire amount we put in. The next fill up with 91, and it slowly decreased to nothing. Even our mechanic said we could damage the engine if we use less than 91 on a regular basis.

actually, the owners manual says it takes no less than 91 octane. We did have to put regular in it once and it had a light knocking for that entire amount we put in. The next fill up with 91, and it slowly decreased to nothing. Even our mechanic said we could damage the engine if we use less than 91 on a regular basis.

Some mechanics don't know what they're doing either. Check the link, it spells it out. All that is lost is HP when you use regular gas vs premium in engines designed for premium. Your knock will go away if the car is tuned with regular vs premium too.:D

Some mechanics don't know what they're doing either. Check the link, it spells it out. All that is lost is HP when you use regular gas vs premium in engines designed for premium. Your knock will go away if the car is tuned with regular vs premium too.:D

our mechanic used to work for cadillac/gmc as their head mechanic before starting his own shop. He has been a mechanic on all domestic vehicles for nearly 40 years. I doubt that he doesn't know what he's doing.

so if i went by the advice of a 'newspaper', USA Today no less, would they replace the engine of my car when I know full well the car doesn't run very well on less than 91 octane? Or would you pay for it? The job is about $3000 or more...

our mechanic used to work for cadillac/gmc as their head mechanic before starting his own shop. He has been a mechanic on all domestic vehicles for nearly 40 years. I doubt that he doesn't know what he's doing.

so if i went by the advice of a 'newspaper', USA Today no less, would they replace the engine of my car when I know full well the car doesn't run very well on less than 91 octane? Or would you pay for it? The job is about $3000 or more...

Google it..Or just spend big $$$ on what you don't need. No skin off my nose.

I would love to hear the explanation for how running an engine on 4 octane lower could destroy it, especially if tuned to that lower octane. I have spoken to the guys that deliver fuel and they say that a lot of the time there isn't a difference, if there is a shortage they use whatever is available to fill the station's underground tanks. You end up paying 10 cents more a gallon for the same fuel....ooops.
If the recipe is different like aviation fuel you will have a drier mixture at 100 octane that if the tuning isn't changed could burn the valves. I used to run aviation gas that we would get from sumping the tanks of the trucks we fueled aircraft with. The water sinks to the bottom of the container so we could control it. My jeep would jump when punched but it idled like a Harley. I also added marvel mystery oil to it to try to lubricate it a little more. I finally started adding it in a ratio of 50/50 with regular gas and it ran OK, it was free at least.

I would love to hear the explanation for how running an engine on 4 octane lower could destroy it, especially if tuned to that lower octane. I have spoken to the guys that deliver fuel and they say that a lot of the time there isn't a difference, if there is a shortage they use whatever is available to fill the station's underground tanks. You end up paying 10 cents more a gallon for the same fuel....ooops.
If the recipe is different like aviation fuel you will have a drier mixture at 100 octane that if the tuning isn't changed could burn the valves. I used to run aviation gas that we would get from sumping the tanks of the trucks we fueled aircraft with. The water sinks to the bottom of the container so we could control it. My jeep would jump when punched but it idled like a Harley. I also added marvel mystery oil to it to try to lubricate it a little more. I finally started adding it in a ratio of 50/50 with regular gas and it ran OK, it was free at least.

Marvel mystery oil, great stuff!!:thup:

Can anyone tell me why if the price goes up a buck a barrell the change hits my gas tank the next day? But if it goes down a buck it takes three weeks. I know, I know, no one is getting gouged. CEO's really do need 400,000,000 in retirement bennies.

Can anyone tell me why if the price goes up a buck a barrell the change hits my gas tank the next day? But if it goes down a buck it takes three weeks. I know, I know, no one is getting gouged. CEO's really do need 400,000,000 in retirement bennies.

I wonder the same. I also wonder why one place in the same state has gas at 2.99 and another at 3.19 ?

Forum List

Back