.....from the government and here to help....

Chillicothe

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2021
I get each morning a whole handful of newsfeeds from various sources that I've either signed up for or subscribe to.
Among the first every morning is Associated Press's. It is not as punchy and condensed as, say, Axios.....but I am often impressed by their thoughtful analysis.
As I was an hour ago when I saw this reportage on Biden's big relief bill. I recognize that any chatroom that has a significant component of RightFielders there is constant snark about Democrats/Liberals/Progressives/Joe Biden. It is what it is and that is part of the landscape we all now live in. The LeftFielders did it in turn to the GOP/Trump etc.

And that cynicism has been on regular display on this venue. So when I read this piece this morning on a long view of Biden's big bill I thought it offered an insight that we haven't seen on this venue, yet. I won't comment yet on this Associated Press morning piece, other than it offers a "on-the-other-hand" perspective. Clearly, it seems, Joe Biden is betting his Presidency on it.
.......................................................................................................................................................................

"Biden’s big relief package a bet gov’t can help cure America"
"WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden wants America to know that he’s from the government and he’s here to help.

That sentiment became a well-worn punchline under Ronald Reagan and shaped the politics of both parties for four decades. Democrat Bill Clinton declared the era of big government over in the 1990s, Barack Obama largely kept his party in the same lane and Republican Donald Trump campaigned on the premise that Washington was full of morons, outplayed by the Chinese and others.

But Biden is now staking his presidency on the idea that the government can use his $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief plan not only to stop a pandemic and jobs crisis but also to catapult the country forward to tackle deep issues of poverty, inequality and more. The massive bill could be approved by Congress as early as Tuesday.

“When I was elected, I said we were going to get the government out of the business of battling on Twitter and back in the business of delivering for the American people,” Biden said after the huge bill passed the Senate on Saturday. “Of showing the American people that their government can work for them.”

Taken together, provisions in the 628-page bill add up to one of the largest enhancements to the social safety net in decades, pushing the country into uncharted territory.

Besides stopping the pandemic and jumpstarting hiring, money in the rescue package — now awaiting final approval in the House — is supposed to start fixing income inequality, halve child poverty, feed the hungry, save pensions, sustain public transit, let schools reopen with confidence and help repair state and local government finances. And Biden is betting that the government can do all of this with the speed of a nation mobilizing for war without touching a tripwire of inflation."

Forum List

Back