Former Google Engineer Anthony Levandowski Escapes 32 Of 33 Charges In Waymo Theft Plea Deal

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Anthony Levandowski, the ex-Google autonomous vehicle engineer slapped with 33 charges of theft and attempted theft of trade secrets last year, has struck a deal with Uncle Sam to plead guilty and escape with just one guilty plea, per the Wall Street Journal.

The Journal wrote that Levandowski will plead guilty to one charge of theft of trade secrets for accessing an update to “Project Chauffeur,” Google’s self-driving car initiative that was later spun off into a separate division called Waymo. That is a level 17 offence that comes with a possible prison term of 24-30 months in prison, with Levandowski also agreeing to pay Waymo $US756,499 ($1,303,079) in restitution. Prosecutors alleged that Levandowski stole over 14,000 files from his former employer and the original charges could have sent him to prison for 10 years.

"I downloaded these files with the intent to use them for my own personal benefit, and I understand that I was not authorised to take the files for this purpose," Levandowski said in the plea agreement seen by the New York Times.
Former Google Engineer Anthony Levandowski Escapes 32 Of 33 Charges In Waymo Theft Plea Deal

Just one guilty plea? Really?

Forum List

Back