Former CIA Deputy Director Michael Morell apologizes to former Secretary of State Colin Powell

R

rdean

In his new book, "The Great War of Our Time: The CIA's Fight Against Terrorism From Al Qaeda to ISIS," former CIA Deputy Director Michael Morell apologizes to former Secretary of State Colin Powell for flawed CIA intelligence that Powell outlined in a 2003 speech at the United Nations.

"I thought it important to do so because here's a man with an incredible reputation, well-deserved over a long period of time, and he went out there and made this case, and we were wrong," CBS News senior security contributor said Monday on "CBS This Morning."

(He went on to talk about Seymour Hersh's book)

"I started reading the article last night, I got a third of the way through and I stopped, because every sentence I was reading was wrong. The source that Hersh talked to has no idea what he's talking about," Morell said.

Award-winning investigative journalist Seymour Hersh released a brazen report Saturday claiming the White House's account "might have been written by Lewis Carroll." Among his claims, he says bin Laden was already being held captive by the Pakistan's ISI intelligence agency in the Abbottabad compound and that Pakistan's top senior officials knew of the raid and helped SEAL helicopters clear Pakistani airspace.

He also said the CIA learned of bin Laden's whereabouts from a former Pakistani official who was offered $25 million from the U.S.

Morell said that is "not true."

Michael Morell apologizes to Colin Powell about CIA pre-Iraq war WMD evidence - CBS News

CIA gets many things right and a few things wrong. And in my experience CIA officers always did what they thought was best for the country, and they undertook operations only with the approval, authorization, and direction of our nation’s elected leaders. Creating an accurate picture of CIA is important because the Agency is a secret organization operating in a democracy, and the American people need to have confidence that the Agency is functioning both effectively and within the Constitution and laws of the United States.

Book Excerpt The Great War of Our Time by Mike Morell - ABC News

I was watching former CIA Deputy Director Michael Morell being being interviewed. He was shown a clip of Dick Cheney saying Saddam had a nuclear weapon and said that was not the what the CIA told Dick Cheney. And he said the Intel should have gone directly to congress so the President couldn't dribble it out in bits and pieces. And he said Dick Cheney was wrong, but wouldn't say Darth lied.

USMB Republicans will say the president had better Intel than the director of the CIA even though the president gets his Intel from the CIA.

And he said he believed our government did everything it could to save those four Americans Republicans insist Hillary had murdered in Libya.

In his new book, "The Great War of Our Time: The CIA's Fight Against Terrorism From Al Qaeda to ISIS," former CIA Deputy Director Michael Morell apologizes to former Secretary of State Colin Powell for flawed CIA intelligence that Powell outlined in a 2003 speech at the United Nations.

"I thought it important to do so because here's a man with an incredible reputation, well-deserved over a long period of time, and he went out there and made this case, and we were wrong," CBS News senior security contributor said Monday on "CBS This Morning."

"I started reading the article last night, I got a third of the way through and I stopped, because every sentence I was reading was wrong. The source that Hersh talked to has no idea what he's talking about," Morell said.

Award-winning investigative journalist Seymour Hersh released a brazen report Saturday claiming the White House's account "might have been written by Lewis Carroll." Among his claims, he says bin Laden was already being held captive by the Pakistan's ISI intelligence agency in the Abbottabad compound and that Pakistan's top senior officials knew of the raid and helped SEAL helicopters clear Pakistani airspace.

He also said the CIA learned of bin Laden's whereabouts from a former Pakistani official who was offered $25 million from the U.S.

Michael Morell apologizes to Colin Powell about CIA pre-Iraq war WMD evidence - CBS News

CIA gets many things right and a few things wrong. And in my experience CIA officers always did what they thought was best for the country, and they undertook operations only with the approval, authorization, and direction of our nation’s elected leaders. Creating an accurate picture of CIA is important because the Agency is a secret organization operating in a democracy, and the American people need to have confidence that the Agency is functioning both effectively and within the Constitution and laws of the United States.

I was watching former CIA Deputy Director Michael Morell being being interviewed. He was shown a clip of Dick Cheney saying Saddam had a nuclear weapon and said that was not the what the CIA told Dick Cheney. And he said the Intel should have gone directly to congress so the President couldn't dribble it out in bits and pieces. And he said Dick Cheney was wrong, but wouldn't say Darth lied.

USMB Republicans will say the president had better Intel than the director of the CIA even though the president gets his Intel from the CIA.

And he said he believed our government did everything it could to save those four Americans Republicans insist Hillary had murdered in Libya.

Chris Matthews got him to admit that Cheney lied about an hour ago.

Everyone knows Colin Powell's UN presentation was fraudulent, and it effectively closed the deal on the disaster of the Iraq war.

Very sad.

Chris Matthews got him to admit that Cheney lied about an hour ago.

THe pressure for the free press that would get him must have been too much.

Everyone knows Colin Powell's UN presentation was fraudulent, and it effectively closed the deal on the disaster of the Iraq war.

Very sad.

Are you really so dense as to not realize that this whole thread, the book, the apology supports the Right's position that the intelligence was a honest mistake instead of a lie?

Did you notice your article doesn't link to anything? It's all opinion and wishing. If Republicans don't like what is being said, without a shred of evidence, they call it a lie. The former head of the CIA doesn't know anything, but Republicans do based on, on, on, Something?

Very sad.

Are you really so dense as to not realize that this whole thread, the book, the apology supports the Right's position that the intelligence was a honest mistake instead of a lie?

Very sad.

It wasn't an honest mistake.

The administration did not follow the intel it was given. The administration made claims about Saddam that the intel never supported.

Think about it. The gigantic CIA bureaucracy still boasts a secret budget at a time in history when there were so many traitors that there are no secrets left. The Agency has been behind the curve on every major incident since WW2 from Korea to the Berlin Wall to the strange case of Lee Oswald to the Assassination of JFK. The CIA had no idea of 9-11 or even the Boston Bombings even though the Russian Federation tried to warn the U.S.. Democrats have used and abused the CIA for political reasons since JFK illegally used the Agency to raise, feed and train an invasion army and abandoned it at the Bay of Pigs. Democrat activist CIA agent erroneously accused the freaking president of leaking information about the identity of an alleged covert agent while she had been introduced as such in elitist liberal cocktail parties. Today the CIA is redundant, ineffective and nothing but a tool of (mostly democrats) to promote political agendas.

Forum List

Back