Fly the Flag-display Old Glory?

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
There are certain ethical requirements for the display of the Flag but they aren't iron-clad. Flags should be lighted at night and I found a solar powered flag illumination gizmo at Lowes that attaches to the pole and it looks good from where I am sitting. Flags that are deteriorated to the point that they are no longer usable should be burned rather than discarded in the dumpster. I find that to be acceptable and I have never seen a Flag discarded in twenty years of casual dumpster views.

There are certain ethical requirements for the display of the Flag but they aren't iron-clad. Flags should be lighted at night and I found a solar powered flag illumination gizmo at Lowes that attaches to the pole and it looks good from where I am sitting. Flags that are deteriorated to the point that they are no longer usable should be burned rather than discarded in the dumpster. I find that to be acceptable and I have never seen a Flag discarded in twenty years of casual dumpster views.

I buy the solar flag lights as presents for friends and neighbors. The Boy Scouts hold a flag burning ceremony once a month at most VFW and American Legion Posts.

Flying the American Flag other than upside down demonstrates that the person responsible has not been paying attention.

Directors of homeowner associations who forbid the flying of "distuptive" American flags need to be flown in place of the flags they so fear. Hey, even crows and ravens gotta eat!

Forum List

Back