Fly on the wall: My new direct line to the musings of party leadership

SwimExpert

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2013
This may not be terribly exciting to many people I admit. But the fact that I'm able to get the info essentially from the horse's mouth seemed worth a mention. I've recently gained access to some otherwise closed door discussions among Republican leadership. It's given me a new perspective on a few things, even informing me where I'd been wrong on a theory or two. Here's a few tidbits....

Leadership and Donald Trump:

Not that it's been any secret that Trump is not exactly a popular guy among his party. But the Congressional leadership, despite any public overtures, positively hates the man. They, apparently, refer to him as "the fucking idiot" more than they do by his name. His nomination has left them downright pissed off, and the "Dump Trump" sentiment seems to have been much more popular than has publicly appeared. Congressional leadership apparently was hoping for a Cleveland Screwjob, but most were too scared to actually associate themselves with such an effort.

Nevertheless (and here is where I was wrong) Republican leadership does hope Trump will win after all, because they fear that Democratic control of the government will spell political disaster for the GOP by 2020. However, there is a strongly caveated reason for that. Congressional leadership believes that they can control Trump. Discussions have been had about the fact that a President Trump who can't be controlled by Congressional Republicans would be a worse train wreck than a Clinton Presidency both for the country, and for the party. It's basically a case of guaranteed disaster (Clinton winning) vs possible disaster (Trump winning). Apparently exactly how likely that possibility is is a source of ongoing debate. A couple voices (I don't know who) fear that Trump won't be able to be controlled. But that seems to be the minority view ATM.

Paul Ryan

Speaker Ryan seems to be a king popular among nobles while hated by the commoners. That is to say, the other higher-ups are quite fond of him. But he's having a difficult time maintaining significant support among the broader House Republican caucus. That being said, apparently nobody has anyone else they'd prefer. It seems that the public perception of Congress being unruly children tends to be accurate. Ryan positively hates Trump more than anyone else apparently. His public endorsement of Trump was made with severe reservation and he now regrets it. Ryan seems to lament his role as leader over a GOP controlled House that has no desire to be functional. I get the impression that he's already acquiesced to the fact that his greatest goal he can bother hoping for as Speaker is for the GOP led House to eventually become boring.

John Boehner

Boehner is "missed" in all the wrong ways, it seems. At this point he has become hated almost universally, and is still talked about. People are pissed because of his promises that were never realized. Mind you, the source of this anger isn't that he failed. They are angry that he quit before doing what he said he would. Interestingly, it sounds like everyone acknowledges that it would have been impossible to get those things done due to the obstructionist wing of the party. But they still take out their angery on Boehner anyway.

• Banned
Let's do lunch, you are on K Street, just let me know....tomorrow?

Actually lunch does have something to do with it. Though not my lunches. I just get the pillow talk afterwards. :D

Forum List

Back