Florida boy Tanner Lake Wall, 13, dies from rare brain-eating amoeba. his mother is raising awareness of the disease

Tragic it is, however "awareness amplification" is ludicrous, its so rare a syndrome it simply doesn't merit such, not to mention such would serve no better purpose than to instill fear & terror in activities where such is totally unwarranted! The amoeba occurs in almost all freshwater pools and lakes, literally tens of millions of human contact hours each year as humans hit beaches and swimming holes, and no more then a dozen or so such tragic outcomes. You want to be scared shitless about something far more dangerous and prevalent, look up "shallow water blackout" and realize that such can kill a boy or girl, man or women, in seconds even in a public pool, let alone rivers, lakes, and ponds..... :wink:

Very warm water breeds that amoeba. The only safe place anymore to swim is the ocean and even that is iffy.

Some very few people have gotten the same amoeba from tap water. Not from drinking it...but from using it in a neti pot instead of distilled water.

Very warm water breeds that amoeba.
Seems a very peculiar amoeba indeed. The plural of amoeba being either amoebas or amoebae, that lone sucker sure manages to get around a lot somehow. Though amoebas are well known to divide without warning using their Karyokinesis skills (given a few drinks, a mic, and some pop music, of course), no mention of multiples is evident from a cursory scan of the associated news literature.

That amoeba apparently enters through one's nose before going full zombie, vacuuming up the brain. It must then diet for a long while to again get small enough to enter another's nose. I know, I know, you're thinking that I'm making too much of this plural business, but I'm really not. Not only we, but scientists, biologists even, often use "bacteria" when they mean "bacterium" and "virus" when they mean "viruses." But, in this case the consensus usage is so overwhelming that they, indeed, simply must mean it's been that same damned amoeba every time!

tens of millions of human contact hours each year as humans hit beaches and swimming holes, and no more then a dozen or so such tragic outcomes
Cover-up of the cause of death is probable cause for a murder investigation.

The amoeba I am most familiar with is commonly known as Trichomonas vaginalis, known to survive in chlorinated swimming pool water, sometimes diagnosed or alleged to be an STD, which is absurd for something so universally widespread and symptomless. I am highly doubtful that it is capable of infecting living human brain tissue, or spreading disease by wishful thinking.

Forum List

Back