back in the days when I rode my bike almost everywhere I did the same .
high end bicycle tires are almost as expensive as car tires.
There are some bicycles worth more than my vehicle..
I had a Italian 51 speed in the 80's that cost more than my first car.
I bought a ten speed in 1976, cost 50 bucks, you could buy a car for that amount then..
Wasn't a pinto by any chance?
"66 Cadillac..
Was it running?

What happened to the good old fixing your tires after a puncture? I got a puncture the other day, went to a tire place, and all they said was that they needed to replace it. Ridiculous. I had to pay 75 euros for it. If the threads of the tire are still good enough, why is repairing the tire not an option any more? Do you understand this whole thing? I don't.
I carry around tire plugs and an air tank, for fixing my own flats..Something that is a must living in the country...

Hey moon were you born down here?

I never even heard of filling a tire using expansion of flamebles unroll I saw rednecks do it.

At work you probably know what I am talking about.

What happened to the good old fixing your tires after a puncture? I got a puncture the other day, went to a tire place, and all they said was that they needed to replace it. Ridiculous. I had to pay 75 euros for it. If the threads of the tire are still good enough, why is repairing the tire not an option any more? Do you understand this whole thing? I don't.
I carry around tire plugs and an air tank, for fixing my own flats..Something that is a must living in the country...

I never even heard of filling a tire using expansion of flamebles unroll I saw rednecks do it.

When I was a kid in Georgia my dad and his buddies did that with tractor tires ,the large ones.

When I was a kid in Georgia my dad and his buddies did that with tractor tires ,the large ones.

It is weird how some tricks never make it north, yet up there a gas station every few blocks with an air compressor .

(Yea I know a few know but never made it round my neighborhood)

Depends on where the puncture is.

If it's in the tread it's usually repairable. If it's close to or on the sidewall, it's not.

Alternately, though, only punctures that are within the tread itself can be fixed. If the puncture is in the sidewall, it has to be replaced because it's too flexible of an area for a patch/plug to hold.
I see that someone else I don't recognize has already answered this. Howdy newbie.

You went to the wrong place. Try another tire shop.

I had a tire plugged recently in a matter of minutes.

As stated above, can't be in the sidewall.

If you're a do it yourselfer, you can actually buy a plug kit for flat tires at your local parts store. They come with what looks like an oversized crochet hook, and some rubber cylinders and glue.

And Gipper is right, you can only repair a tire on the tread, sidewalls cannot be fixed.

Fix a Flat works in some cases if the puncture isn't too big.

And.................if the tire shop you go to says that they won't fix it, go find another. If you find a family owned type shop, chances are better there that they will fix your tire than large tire chains owned by conglomerates.

The tire plugs have limited success in that they eventually start leaking again. I have used them on many occasions as they do a fair job when on the go. If you have a means of adding air to the repaired tire you should take them along when out away from air supplies. Never use Fix-a-flat. There are nasty alkaline chemicals in it that corrode your wheels.

If you happen to drive on the flat tire as a slow puncture, before you realize the flat, do you cause sidewall damage? Can that cause the tire to become irreparable?
Definitely, and it doesn't take a lot of driving, either. Like less than a minute or a couple of hundred yards.

Because fixing a puncture doesn't make the tire store as much money.
As bear513 said, the tire companies are behind a lot of it, but more likely by threatening to pull their brands from a shop that permits repair.
Alternately, though, only punctures that are within the tread itself can be fixed. If the puncture is in the sidewall, it has to be replaced because it's too flexible of an area for a patch/plug to hold.

A tread puncture can be repaired, a sidewall puncture cannot.
I had a puncture once caused by a sharp stone and it was like a slash/ragged, so he said he couldn't plug it. He wasn't ripping me off, I'm pretty sure.

Never use Fix-a-flat. There are nasty alkaline chemicals in it that corrode your wheels.
Additionally, if you have a later model vehicle with TPMS, Fix-a-flat will ruin them in a heartbeat, then you're out about 100 bucks anyway, and noone will work on a tire with that crap in it. No patch will ever stick, no matter what you do.

Pablum. I have patched tired filled with tire sealer. I hated dealing with it (the mess sometimes defied belief), but a GOOD tire guy can still fix it!

Pablum. I have patched tired filled with tire sealer. I hated dealing with it (the mess sometimes defied belief), but a GOOD tire guy can still fix it!

I agree as for the rubber preparation if you are going to do it as a professional would you will be using a circular rasp in a die grinding type air tool anyway. The real damage that Fix-A-Flat does is to your rims. The last issue with the liquid tire repair is that it tends to throw off the balance of the tire as it puddles and hardens. It never gets hard like plastic but it gets hard enough to stay in the lowest part of the inside of the tire. This can throw off the balance by several ounces.

I don't claim to be the worlds authority on auto/truck repair but I have been a professional mechanic for over 45 of my 67 years. I have worked for Land Rover, Goodyear, Midas, BMW, and VW dealerships as well as owning and operating 3 of my own repair shops specializing in British cars. As far as tire repair I have fixed well over 100 flats and done several hundred alignments on all sorts of vehicles. My first major repair was rebuilding the motor/trans in the mini cooper my dad brought home from England in 61. I was 12. I also worked for my grand dad repairing heavy trucks at his oil refinery mostly stick welding cracked frames with a Lincoln welder when I was 14. For the last 25 years I have advanced to machining and programming CNC but still repaired my friend's vehicles when I had the time.

Last edited:

Was it on the sidewall?

Just sold my Fuji Professional for $3k after paying $4.5k ten years ago.

Does it message your prostate while riding?

Not while I was riding it..if you'd like a test drive I'm sure the buddy I sold it to would be happy to let you find out....for a price..

Last time I checked my prostrate didnt have a twitter account..

Last time I checked my prostrate didnt have a twitter account..
What a shame...

We have a different measurement in the US. Take a penny and put the top of Abe Lincoln's head in the shortest tread of the tire. If you can see the top of Abe Lincoln's head that is illegal in the US and the tire must be replaced. We have an easy and uncomplicated way to do it over here without using the metric system.

edit: tire plugs are worthless even if the tire meets the tread requirement. A hot patch is the only way to do it from inside the tire and you can never plug or hot patch the sidewall

Last edited:

Forum List

Back