Fine: Washington, D.C., on oil and gas

bluewill67

Rookie
Sep 12, 2015
by Daniel Fine, New Mexico Center for Energy Policy
The complete article is here-> Fine: Washington, D.C., on oil and gas
The "deal" between the parties over the energy future of the United States and the San Juan Basin at the end of 2015 was the most misguided example of politics at the fuel pump since the 1970s. Then it was retail price control and now it’s a free-for-all in the price of oil in the world market with West Texas Crude approaching 10-year lows.

Lifting the restriction on exporting crude oil adds American oil to a world market which is over-supplied. Expect no cash flow increase for American producers and still lower world prices than with the restriction or ban in place.

This is not the place to assess the other side of the "deal." However, tax credit extensions for wind and solar as alternative fuels to replace coal and later natural gas are no longer of concern to the Republican Party in Congress.

With petroleum economics based on market prices, there is virtually no way that the "deal" will bring about tens of thousands of new jobs in the oil and gas fields. How does exporting crude oil lead to increased drilling and rig deployment if this increases supply in an oversupplied world market? On the contrary, it leads to lower prices and negative cash flows for producers who must cut their workforces.

If oil and gas prices rebound in the next three years, the alternative fuels are beneficiaries as tax credits shape new non-fossil fuel investment, offsetting the risk of lower oil and gas prices, This was no doubt the objective of the climate change politics of Paris and the Democratic Party in Congress as well as the White House.

Although U.S. oil refiners will have a transportation cost tax adjustment from the "deal," what prevents them from buying foreign oil at lower prices than American oil (North Sea Brent at declining prices)?

For more than a year, I have developed an analysis of an OPEC/Saudi Arabian price war against American shale or light tight oil producers. This was regarded lightly while industry and Wall Street funds held on for a price recovery by last June. Now what I wrote in these columns is "mainstream" and U.S. producers survive through selling forward with "hedges."

During all the whining about that bitumen line from Canada, the right constantly said we needed all the oil we could get here. Now they want to ship what we have out of the country. What changed?

For the most part, our refineries run on shit oil like the "bitumen" from Canada.

This may seem like a stupid move now, but in time world stocks will shrink and demand will go up along with prices.

You're both being short-sighted. And that's putting it politely. :slap:

For the most part, our refineries run on shit oil like the "bitumen" from Canada.

This may seem like a stupid move now, but in time world stocks will shrink and demand will go up along with prices.

The changes made to run on that shit are extremely recent. Looks like the oil refineries were short sighted. They aren't capable of efficiently using all the recently discovered oil from here.

The changes made to run on that shit are extremely recent. Looks like the oil refineries were short sighted. They aren't capable of efficiently using all the recently discovered oil from here.
Please do provide anything of merit to back up that statement.

Slapping you in advance I remain sincerely yours... :slap:

Marathon, Valero, Total, Motiva And Mobil, among others have all recently completed upgrades to increase their ability to focus on heavy crude refining.

Total completes deep conversion at Port Arthur refinery, new units on-stream | Hydrocarbon Processing | May 2011

Motiva completes $10 billion Gulf Coast JV refinery expansion
Try googling recent heavy crude refining upgrades.

Marathon, Valero, Total, Motiva And Mobil, among others have all recently completed upgrades to increase their ability to focus on heavy crude refining.

Total completes deep conversion at Port Arthur refinery, new units on-stream | Hydrocarbon Processing | May 2011

That's called expansion, you dolt. Not retrofitting. :slap:

Don't forget that we're still importing over seven million barrels/day.

I thought you had some relationship to the oil field. It's easy to find which upgrades were done, and the purpose for them. What do you think all those expanded and new coker units were for?

I thought you had some relationship to the oil field. It's easy to find which upgrades were done, and the purpose for them. What do you think all those expanded and new coker units were for?
Have you heard the expression "everything but the squeal"?

Well, coking units retrieve the "squeal" from crude. And there's revenues to be had from it.

Well, coking units retrieve the "squeal" from crude. And there's revenues to be had from it.
I'm well aware of how a coking unit works. The refining of heavy crude was the purpose of all the recent upgrades. If you happen to meet someone in the industry, ask them.

I'm well aware of how a coking unit works. The refining of heavy crude was the purpose of all the recent upgrades. If you happen to meet someone in the industry, ask them.
Yes, I am in the industry. Do you have a question or are you just here to make an ass of yourself? :dunno:

Yes, I am in the industry. Do you have a question or are you just here to make an ass of yourself? :dunno:

So you drove past some onion tanks and now you think you know about the oil patch.You probably don't know the difference between an expansion loop, a sag, or a single shot whipstock setup. The recent refinery expansions were for heavy crude, Do you have any more questions?

So you drove past some onion tanks and now you think you know about the oil patch.You probably don't know the difference between an expansion loop, a sag, or a single shot whipstock setup. The recent refinery expansions were for heavy crude, Do you have any more questions?
I know someone pulling shit out of their ass when I see it. Do you like your own smell? :dunno:

Two sidebooms in the tie in crew, a 561 and a 3T. One of the operators has his arm in a sling. Which boom was he running?

Two sidebooms in the tie in crew, a 561 and a 3T. One of the operators has his arm in a sling. Which boom was he running?
The Google in this one is strong. :slap:

:lol:

Last edited:

The Google in this one is strong in this one. :slap:

Don't know? The 561 has electric start. 3T had a hand cranked pony motor. I know because I was the one with the sling.

What do you do if someone tells you to hold the jeep tail up out of the mud? Better yet, do you even know what a jeep is?

What do you do if someone tells you to hold the jeep tail up out of the mud? Better yet, do you even know what a jeep is?
Hey, Bubby. I'm the guy that tells you to do your fucking job and do it right, or go home. Got that?

Hey, Bubby. I'm the guy that tells you to do your fucking job and do it right, or go home. Got that?

You might think you are. That little incident was in 1969. I did a lot more than pull a few levers before I retired.

You might think you are. That little incident was in 1969. I did a lot more than pull a few levers before I retired.
Now you might have my attention. Tell us more.

Forum List

Back