Finally got a pic of Mylo!

081jq.jpg

hes a cutie...got terrier ears;)....your daughter is a sweetie too...thx.

Beautiful little girl and some fine looking dogs Allie.

Kids and dogs are just a little slice of heaven

Have I seen pics of your mastiffs??????
I don't think so. but you might have.

We had to put Daisy down 2 years ago. Now that I'm in apartments, finding one that would let me get one, and also afford to keep one on a single income... well... not so easy. So I'm waiting for my next opportunity.

6440_1200109078806_1110906740_30604912_3782619_n.jpg

Just so you know, that's a full size sofa she's taking up most of, curled up. It was her favorite chair and blanket at "Gwumma's" house.

My sofa is massive as well, and Klaus makes use of it when the kids invite him. He prefers the floor generally at night because he can sprawl out..he still sleeps on his back about half the time, the goof.

Adorable pup.

hes a cutie...got terrier ears;)....your daughter is a sweetie too...thx.

Beautiful little girl and some fine looking dogs Allie.

Kids and dogs are just a little slice of heaven

I had to make funny noises to get them to look at me.Mylo avoids the camera, and actually, she avoids eye contact when I try to get her to do things...I think that's a progression...flight, fight, avoidance, submission...

or maybe it's fight then flight. I can never keep it straight.

We got Daisy a special made pet bed. It was quadruple the size of the medium dog's bed with green froggies on it. So cute, and she loved it too, though she barely fit on it.

Funny. Klaus took over that immense chair and ottoman..but it is too small for him to sleep in all night now. He ends up between the ottoman and the chair, then on the floor between them, wrapped up in the cover...he'll jump upon on there sometimes but he doesn't hang there like he did at first.

Today I'm all about the bag o' chicken. i cooked chicken breastestes last night and chopped them up, slapped them in a pencil holder from school days (the kids never use them) and I'm dragging it around with me everywhere. We're working on maintaining a sit, eye contact, and recall. We'll see if I can call Mylo back from the fence with chicken. I think I will be able to..

A few minutes ago a jogger went by and Mylo did her thing, running and barking...so I let Klaus out but he held a sit for me instead of joining her at the fence. Then I called Mylo and she came..and got some chicken.

Not much, she'll turn into a terrier jabba. We're also working on not slicing my fingers to shreds and jumping at the treat. It's amazing what they'll do for a lick of chicken.

I walk five dogs and once and I have one little dog who used to back out of her harness if I was distracted, when I was picking up poop for example.

After a couple of heart-stopping incidents where she backed out of her harness and ran about 50 miles an hour towards a busy street, I started walking her with a slip lead around her neck in addition to her harness. That gave me the additional safety net I needed.

After a while I quit using the slip lead. Haven't used it in about a year now, and she hasn't backed out of her harness since. Thank goodness! :eusa_pray:

Regarding Gentle Leaders...you have to be careful with those. If a dog fights it they could hurt their neck I've been told.

I tried one on one of my dobies and she was like a wild thing. Her eyes were rolling and she was backing up and twisting her head around. I took it off immediately. (I will admit that she is a master at manipulating me :lol:)

I use no-pull harnesses, they work pretty good. One of my dobies still pulls and she's seven years old, but the harness makes it bearable for me. The other one has never pulled, just walks along beside me in the heel position even though she's never been taught to heel. She makes me look like I know what I'm doing. LOL

The other dog is just a willful, beautiful, free spirit and I've never had the desire to rein her in too much. She is obedient when she knows I'm serious though. And in spite of the "pulling" issue, she is the one I use to demonstrate their array of tricks because she is so quick to respond to the commands. She likes to show off.

Aren't dogs just wonderful creatures?

I love looking at everyone's dog pictures. : )

Last edited:
Yeah, at first the Gentle Leader can drive willful dogs nuts because it's a constant reminder they are not the leader and they will act as badly as a punter faking injury from a hit that never landed till you take it off or they get used to it. Daisy didn't like it either at first, but she got used to it when we started leaving it on all day, taking it off at night. Took about a week of her acting pathetic and seeing no dice before she got over it and accepted it.

As for hurting the necks? No. Never heard that. I can't even conceive of how that'd happen to be honest. Unless you pulled their head between their front legs, and that'd take SERIOUS effort.

I've heard that gentle leaders can injure their necks...

I think I'm going with a prong collar or regular choke. I do worry about throat damage with the choke, though, as she is little, and even pulling sideways exerts upward pressure on her larnyx.

And where's Grace? She told me oatmeal was high in gluten when I started Mylo on the oatmeal/chicken diet..and guess what, two days in Mylo had a pretty good allergic reaction. So we're not doing oatmeal. Next test...rice...

And our doggles backpack came today! I tried it on Mylo at lunch, it fits her perfectly as far as the chest and length go...it's a little big around her ribcage, but not too bad, I can fix it I think.

And I swear she likes it! She didn't mind it at all when I put it on her, and acted like she was sort of...proud...of it!

She has a tiny head, and she's aggressive towards other dogs. I have to use a collar that won't slip over her head when she's in that mode.
She can (and does) get out of anything, including her harness. Also, she likes to pull at her harness.

I found a little nylon collar..the thing is, for it to stay on her, it has to be quite tight. I prefer a choke, which only tightens when there's pressure.
I don't leave it on her, she doesn't wear a collar except when we're walking or going somewhere.

Today she wore the plain collar and her doggles...she did well, of course we didn't see anyone else, lol.

She has a tiny head, and she's aggressive towards other dogs. I have to use a collar that won't slip over her head when she's in that mode.
She can (and does) get out of anything, including her harness. Also, she likes to pull at her harness.

I found a little nylon collar..the thing is, for it to stay on her, it has to be quite tight. I prefer a choke, which only tightens when there's pressure.
I don't leave it on her, she doesn't wear a collar except when we're walking or going somewhere.

Today she wore the plain collar and her doggles...she did well, of course we didn't see anyone else, lol.

Cute fur babies and adorable daughter!

I had a JackRussell/Mix. I couldn't use flimsy collars on her, she just broke them and I really hated the thought of a choke collar. I just got her a heavy duty leather collar that you might have to purchase at a regular pet store, rather than Walmart or some place like that. I had to make additional holes in it to make it a bit smaller for her, but she wore it for 6 years without a problem until I lost her to illness.

I've used a harness on her up until now, but she can and does get out of it. Plus it triggers her to pull, and I am trying to get her to walk alongside or behind me, not drag me along.

She did really well today with the collar.

022bz.jpg

these are pics of Mylo in her backpack, and *playing*. This is literally the first time I've seen her really play, like dogs play. Before she would just chase him, and not engage, except to attack him from the side, then either chase or run..no back and forth.

These pics look pretty intense, but they were playing..this is a big step for Mylo.

Forum List

Back