February Is Black History Month

February is Black History Month.

October is Italian American month.

March is Irish American month.

May is Jewish American month.

November is Native American month.

May is Asian-Pacific American month.

October is Polish American month.

October is German American month, October 6 is German American day.

June is National African American music appreciation month.

Here's a link for all different things that have their own 'month'.

List of commemorative months - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I didn't see a White American month.

Aren't the Poles, Jews, Italian, Germans and Irish white?

There's no black Polish, Jewish, Italian, German and Irish?

Sure but the majority are white.

I recall actually being taught quite a bit about the Native Americans who once lived in New York as a schoolgirl. Not much about Black Americans, other Native Americans, Asian Americans or poor whites, though. When my own kidlet was in grade school, it was even worse. That child learned more history at home than at school, IMO.

I dun object to anyone celebrating their own history, Zoom-boing. Cleveland has prolly got more ethnic festivals than anywhere else in the country, and I think they're fun. But it is a bit different to have emigrated from Ireland as opposed to kidnapped from Africa, thrown onto a slave ship, watching half the passengers die in the voyage, sold into slavery...and yet emerge from that to be citizens and successful people. Just as it is to have your land stolen, sometimes your children stolen, to almost be wiped out by genocide, to be treated TO THIS DAY like less than full citizens, and to have your culture almost forgotten.

Well, I don't treat anyone as less than a full citizen and don't know anyone who does. As for blacks history . . . that's their history. Their history is just as bad as some, much worse than others and some were better than others. And? No one today is treated like this, are they? Not saying to celebrate one's history is wrong, just pointing out that there is no white american history month.

Zoom-boing, open an 8th grade history book....it's all Rich White Men, all the time. As for "no one is treated like this anymore", who knows? I guess you'd have to ask the person.

None of my friends who are people of color claim they have been able to escape racism for even a day. I think that's probably true -- though racism in this country is not as threatening as it once was.

Aren't the Poles, Jews, Italian, Germans and Irish white?

There might well be African Irish, Zoom-boing. There seem to be plenty of African English.

But some are black, yes?

Aside from that they are celebrating their ethnicity, rather than race.

There isn't a white american history month, specifically celebrating white accomplishments and such, is there?

The entire fucking school year celebrates white America, Zoom-boing. Did you want to gild the lily?

But some are black, yes?

Aside from that they are celebrating their ethnicity, rather than race.

There isn't a white american history month, specifically celebrating white accomplishments and such, is there?

The entire fucking school year celebrates white America, Zoom-boing. Did you want to gild the lily?

Specifically? I don't think so.

Just pointing out there isn't a specific month for whites.

it is?

Most white Americans really don't know what country their ancestors came from.

They just know that they are white.

So if they have pride in being white, but without the hyphen; Irish-American. Italian-American, etc.

They are categorized and vilified as racists. :evil:

Most white Americans really don't know what country their ancestors came from.

They just know that they are white.

So if they have pride in being white, but without the hyphen; Irish-American. Italian-American, etc.

They are categorized and vilified as racists. :evil:

Most white Americans don't know where their ancestors came from? I guess you could say the same thing for blacks, most of them really only know their ancestors came from Africa but no specific country.

it is?

Apparently. I've never see anything on the news about it.

Did you know that December is 'constipation awareness month'? lol, me neither. Constipation is totally inclusive. :thup:

it is?

I heard they do celebrations for that in the Northeast especially the Jersey area.

columbus_day.jpg

heritagemonth_banner_2009.jpg

http://www.italianheritagemonth.com/

it is?

Apparently. I've never see anything on the news about it.

Did you know that December is 'constipation awareness month'? lol, me neither. Constipation is totally inclusive. :thup:

not for Tofu eaters....;)

I'll get back to you on Italian month/Columbus Day here in Cali its now ceasar chavez day......yup.

I have to actually go do some work now....

No public school in American teaches enough about the history of Blacks in America, or Native Americans, or others, because for the most part, these were poor people. We tend to focus our attention on the lives of the wealthy and powerful. We also have a desire to whitewash our past, and downplay the instances of immorality this nation has engaged in.

Ever met a kid who knew the history of the coal miners' union movement in West Virginia from school? Who knew where the Underground Railroad stations actually were? Who knew -- in detail -- what The Trail Of Tears was?

T'aint asking too much, to teach this curriculum once every school year for a month.

You must have went to a school for retards because the school I was in, taught all of what you just mentioned. With the exception of exact locations for the underground railroad stations and it's probably because there was no single "station". The fact is the "stations" you speak of were in fact homes and businesses where fugitives would eat and rest. A lot of terminology used in this system derived from railroad terminology but that's where the similarities end.

Jesus H. Christ, some of you people are grumpy!

Mini -- fuck off. Even if I buy your claim to being a Cherokee, which I'm not sure I do, the history of the Native Americans is important to me and mine too.

The Infidel -- "Victim mentality"? Really? Because we teach kids about the accomplishments of people who struggled?

Not sure who asked me -- "these people" who built, ran and used the Underground Railroad. ALL of them -- that specific enough?

Holy fuck, you guys.

Yeah, I said it and I meant it.... victim mentality!
Why on earth do we have to center on just one race in February?
I dont give a crap if its blacks, whites, asians, or hispanics....we re ALL Americans right? How about we teach American history, and include all of the things you mentioned above?
If we did that there would be no need to center our attentions on one race.

But then agian.... the "squeaky" wheels would'nt get "lubed" would they..... oh, one more thing.... the "squeaky" wheels are still squeaking :eusa_whistle: Just sayin'

No public school in American teaches enough about the history of Blacks in America, or Native Americans, or others, because for the most part, these were poor people. We tend to focus our attention on the lives of the wealthy and powerful. We also have a desire to whitewash our past, and downplay the instances of immorality this nation has engaged in.

Ever met a kid who knew the history of the coal miners' union movement in West Virginia from school? Who knew where the Underground Railroad stations actually were? Who knew -- in detail -- what The Trail Of Tears was?

T'aint asking too much, to teach this curriculum once every school year for a month.

You must have went to a school for retards because the school I was in, taught all of what you just mentioned. With the exception of exact locations for the underground railroad stations and it's probably because there was no single "station". The fact is the "stations" you speak of were in fact homes and businesses where fugitives would eat and rest. A lot of terminology used in this system derived from railroad terminology but that's where the similarities end.

Which by the way were those evil white honkey crackers. :eusa_shhh:

I learned all this in American History class.... Im sick of it being rammed down our collective throats just to pacify the victim mentality that is perpetuated every day in "the hood".

No one wants to reeeeaaalllly learn black history. They just want to teach what an awful country we live in, and nevermind the white Americans that put an end to the dispicable slave trade. If you folks really cared about black history you'd do something about the blacks who are still in slavery to this day... Hell, if you gave a shit about slavery in general, you'd be diong something about the mexicans who are being used as slaves here in America at this very moment.

Just sayin'

I'm pretty tired of all the whining. It always sounds to me like people with guilty consciences trying to sweep the truth under the rug. I'll NEVER forget that in my lifetime I saw gas stations in the South with three bathrooms, Men, Women and Colored. It's not something that's forgotten readily that you're not a man or a woman, but some sort of animal herd.

How is teaching it all in American history class "sweeping it under the rug"?

I grew up in the DEEP south and I learned all those things in school... of course I attended private christian schools, but still, its all taught in school.

Seems to me that some private interest groups are at play.

Forum List

Back