FCC Discussing Control of Internet

Technically correct - no "lease".

Just a whole basket of fees.

Some of which are set according to service type (AM/FM/TV, etc.) and other factors like whether commercial/non commercial, economic factors.

I haven't been able to find a concrete fee schedule but did come across some good material on the myriad fees that must be paid by anyone wishing to put a signal on "the people's" airwaves:

FCC Application Fees Going Up By 8 - Effective June 6 2014 Broadcast Law Blog

But, no, they are not lease fees; not rent. Just innocent little "fees".

Correct, there are processing fees. No one need explain to either of us how much work is involved in a frequency search.

I get a fee for my driver's license too. I'm fairly sure everyone does. But no one gives me a car. I'm kind of on my own there.

Isn't that unfair?

Lots of folks get free food.

Lots of folks get free phones.

If you need a car don't you agree that it's your right to have one and one must be given to you before anyone can be allowed to own two cars?

Nope. I already own two cars. Never had one given to me but I did get to choose what I got, and I'd rather have it that way even if I make the wrong choice.

So you can't answer that one either. Color me surprised.

Damn. And here I was hoping you'd start babbling about "there's no reference to broadcasting in the Constitution". Oh well. Can't have everything.

Here's you next lesson though son:
Broadcasters don't own the airwaves. WE do.

And we give it to them to milk however many millions they can off them, rent-free. How smart is that, right? Howdja like your town to provide you with a rent-free storefront where you could sell whatever you wanted? And if it didn't sell, hey, at least you're not paying rent.

"Privately-owned enterprises".... you're embarrassing yourself. :dig:

FASCIST Fallacy #1 — The airwaves are "public"

There are two aspects to this that must be addressed separately. First, the only reason the airwaves belong to "the public" is because the federal government declared them so as part of the Federal Radio Act of 1927. That's it. But the reality is that the airwaves themselves aren't any more "public" than the plot of land that composes your city or town. When it was first discovered that we could encode audio and transmit it via radio waves, the feds realized the potential military applications and seized about half the spectrum and reserved it for military use. They made the rest available for use by citizen operators. Yes, there is a limited amount of spectrum just as there is a limited amount of land in your community, for example. There is also a limited amount of gold, diamonds, water, gravel, iron ore, maple trees or whatever. Just because there is a limited amount of something doesn't mean the state is right to commandeer it all and then "lease" it to private citizens as long as they agree to use it the way other people would like to see them use it. Let's face it; there is a limited amount of just about everything.."

You going for some kind of record here boy?

I just told you --- we don't "lease" airwave space. We give it away. When you get a broadcast license, you get permission to use 101.7 or whatever frequency -- you don't pay for it. You get it from We the People, via the FCC, and then you're free to milk money from We the People.

Following this? We give you the storefront. For nothing. Regardless how much you can make off it.

And as I pointed out in my first post in this thread, before the FRC was created to corral all that, what was on the air was anarchy. All the FCC does is keep that anarchy from happening again by sorting out who gets permission where.

You really need better links. Everything you've posted here tonight is pure bullshit.

The worst blind person is he who does not want to see.

You have been brainwashed into giving up freedom, accepting enslavement and tyranny as a way of life.

You are FUBR.

Then get off your Consumméed ass and find me some shred of something real that actually backs up ANY of the bullshit you've posted here from hair-on-fire Randbot reactionary sites.

Too late.

Every politically controlled educational system will inculcate the doctrine of state supremacy sooner or later. . . . Once that doctrine has been accepted, it becomes an almost superhuman task to break the stranglehold of the political power over the life of the citizen. It has had his body, property and mind in its clutches from infancy. An octopus would sooner release its prey. A tax-supported, compulsory educational system is the complete model of the totalitarian state.

–Isabel Paterson, The God of the Machine (1943)

You realize every time you make a post that fails to back up your previous one you just dig yourself deeper in the same hole -- you know that right? Well, you just done it again.

And by the way enlarging stupid or irrelevant posts into real big fonts doesn't make them less stupid or irrelevant. Free tip for the day.

THIS IS AN FCC POWER GRAB.

IT WANTS TO CONTROL THE INTERNET FOR THINGS LIKE CENSORSHIP, ADDITIONAL FEES AND TAXES.

WHERE IS OUR HIGH SPEED BROADBAND LIKE THAT AVAILABLE IN OTHER COUNTRIES?

What's your basis that the FCC is interested in any kind of censorship? When has it ever done that before?

You do realize what's being proposed is that the FCC prevent people from manipulating internet access. You know that, right? Or didn't you read it?

Forum List

Back