Biden Admin Spends Tens Of Millions To Deliver Fiber Internet To Only About 90 Rural Alaska Households

We looked into it. AT&T who we have is 50 bucks cheaper and that initial 500 or so outlay with Starlink is ridiculous.

I can see rural areas getting it but we'll stick with AT&T
I agree, it is spendy. But I am one of those that live in a rural area. We had Hughesnet and I have had dial-up connections that were faster and they had data caps. Starlink is fast and no data caps. We can stream now. The initial outlay, $700, for the equipment and $110/mo. are high but the superior service is well worth it to us.

I agree, it is spendy. But I am one of those that live in a rural area. We had Hughesnet and I have had dial-up connections that were faster and they had data caps. Starlink is fast and no data caps. We can stream now. The initial outlay, $700, for the equipment and $110/mo. are high but the superior service is well worth it to us.

My mom had Hughesnet, it was awful, our kids said their data carrier was faster, of course after a visit my phone plan bill jumped

Now she has something called Wintek, the local electric company supplies it. I'm impressed, fast and as cheap as our internet bill.

Yes it is. Odd how one group of people did not whine about this program when under the previous Admin that started it.
I have been against silly spending for decades and I don't care who is in power, that is why I said government and not any blame to party or individual.

You think they last forever? Most communication fiber is made from a polycarbonate plastic core these days not the good AT&T glass fiber, surrounded by a protective jacket, and it is still subject to the same UV degeneration from the Sun +wind, cold, snow, stress, accidents, etc., whatever it is subjected to up there in Alaska, perhaps accelerated by the fact that with so few customers up there, fiber bundles on any given trunk will be smaller, thinner, leaving even less protection. That stuff will still need maintained, repaired and replaced as needed, so one must consider THAT as part of the total picture of internet cost.

Fiber optic cable is covered and shielded. And there are expansion loops that allow the fiber to stretch and shrink according to the temperature. I am sure they will eventually need replacing. But most replacement is done because of expansion, not that the fiber wore out. Yes, it will require maintenance. But usually far less than copper cable.

If you are angry about this boondoggle, you would be really pissed off if you knew how much fiber optics have been placed and paid for by federal gov't grants and such.

The last 6 years I worked in telecomm construction was mainly rural fiber optics. Rural Kentucky, WV, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisianna have all had significant miles of fiber optic hung or buried due to gov't programs.

And one more tidbit, based on my experience in the industry.

When fiber optics are placed underground, they very rarely direct bury it. They almost always bury conduit. So it there is a problem with the fiber, you pull in a new piece. Takes a couple of guys and a small amount of equipment. The expense is in putting in miles of conduit.

You mean the program that the Trump Admin started and the Biden Admin is finishing up?

The OP has nothing to do with Trump. Just another leftoid who never reads the article.

Oh, and Trump isn't POTUS, the doddering Biden is, and he [Biden] inches us closer to WW III as well.

Forum List

Back