Favorite Philosopher?

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2013
The Bee Hive State
Who is your favorite Philosopher and why?

How did you come into learning about them and what is their particular philosophical belief that struck a chord with you?

If no favorite is there one Philosopher you just can't stand, if yes who and why?

Popeye of course...

popeye.jpg

Robert Nozick.

I haven't studied him or heard of him, what made him stand out for you, was there a particular paper book or lecture on him or from him that left an impression?

I'd like to look it up and read it.

Anarchy, State, and Utopia by Robert Nozick | Questia, Your Online Research Library

I also read about 1/3 of "Invariances"...It made me look up and learn so much new stuff I sort of lost track of where the book goes...I'll pick it up again one day.

The Mises Review: Invariances: The Structure of the Objective World by Robert Nozick

Robert Nozick.

I haven't studied him or heard of him, what made him stand out for you, was there a particular paper book or lecture on him or from him that left an impression?

I'd like to look it up and read it.

Anarchy, State, and Utopia by Robert Nozick | Questia, Your Online Research Library

I also read about 1/3 of "Invariances"...It made me look up and learn so much new stuff I sort of lost track of where the book goes...I'll pick it up again one day.

The Mises Review: Invariances: The Structure of the Objective World by Robert Nozick

I can't access the data in ful from the first link I will check and see if there is a kindle version at amazon.

Per the second link I like this excerpt:
Nozick’s remarks on libertarianism, though brief, are full of interest. He distinguishes several layers of ethics: "The first layer is the ethics of respect, which corresponds to an (extended) ethics mandating cooperation to mutual benefit. Here there are rules and principles mandating respecting another (adult) person’s life and autonomy, forbidding murder and enslavement, restricting interference with a person’s domain of choice, and issuing in a set of (what have been termed negative) rights" (p. 280, emphasis removed). Other layers, such as the ethics of caring, go beyond the duty of noninterference with others and call for positive aid to them.

In particular what I put in bold.

I always have an impression that libertarians are out for themselves in a need for self-sufficiency and liberty I sometimes think they do not care for others who have a viewpoint of wanting a more cooperative society and less individualistic.

It sounds like from his brief excerpts his focus is on respecting others choices should be an interesting read.:cool:

I always have an impression that libertarians are out for themselves in a need for self-sufficiency and liberty I sometimes think they do not care for others who have a viewpoint of wanting a more cooperative society and less individualistic.
Problem being that these "cooperative" societies have almost always degenerated into abject tyranny....Besides that, the word "cooperation" implies consent, not compulsion.

Problem being that these "cooperative" societies have almost always degenerated into abject tyranny....Besides that, the word "cooperation" implies consent, not compulsion.

Since we are collectively socially constructed into a given society depending on where we are born sort of determines cooperation levels.

This country promotes competition and individualism as a way of distinguishing separatism and measuring success ( a great social construct, who determines what success is? You think it is the individual or is success manufactured by media and other forms of society?) which is also determined by those consenting to the propoganda of it all.

There is absolutely no reason anyone should live in poor conditions imo since we have the ability and resources to feed clothes and shelter everyone.

Don't get me wrong, I am completely torn about it because I like my liberty and freedom to think and do what I want.:cool:

Did you miss the aftermath of the 2004 earthquake/tsunami, where the charity of the American people acted more quickly and with far more money and effectiveness than did our own federal gubmint?

How about the aftermath of Katrina, when Home Depot and Wal Mart got more needed supplies to people far more quickly and efficiently than FEMA could ever hope to do on their best day?

You leave people to be free and they'll know who is truly in need and be more than willing to help.

Did you miss the aftermath of the 2004 earthquake/tsunami, where the charity of the American people acted more quickly and with far more money and effectiveness than did our own federal gubmint?

How about the aftermath of Katrina, when Home Depot and Wal Mart got more needed supplies to people far more quickly and efficiently than FEMA could ever hope to do on their best day?

You leave people to be free and they'll know who is truly in need and be more than willing to help.

That must not be entirely true, otherwise during the depression people would have helped each other and FDR would not have responded to a need by creating social programs.

I found the book State, and Utopia: Robert Nozick on google scholar for free if anyone else reading the thread would like to peruse through it.

That must not be entirely true, otherwise during the depression people would have helped each other and FDR would not have responded to a need by creating social programs.
Fallacious affirmation of the consequent argument...People tired and did help one another, and FDR's programs were an unqualified disaster, let alone completely unconstitutional.

Great Myths of the Great Depression [Mackinac Center]

Fallacious affirmation of the consequent argument...People tired and did help one another, and FDR's programs were an unqualified disaster, let alone completely unconstitutional.

Great Myths of the Great Depression [Mackinac Center]

No possible way for me to read all that in this moment and reply to your post.

Tell me a synopsis in your own words so I can respond.

Read it at your own leisure.

A lot of "facts" about the Great Depression are myths and outright political propaganda.

I am going to read Robert first.

It may be a while before I get to the other.

I recommend to anyone who likes reading "Class & Power in the new deal, Corporate Moderates, Southern democrats and the Liberal -Labor coalition" by Domhoff & Webber.

Popeye of course...

popeye.jpg

Because he's a sailor or old school thought< humor seems to matter alot for some in choices of philosophy. :cool:

It was the first thing that popped into my noggin'.
40 years ago I was taking a Philosophy test in college. I forget who we were studying at the time, or the question on the test. But in my answer, I referenced Popeye and his famous quote. It was an accurate analogy to that philosopher's teachings. I was right, but the prof gave me a failing grade LOL.

Forum List

Back