Fargo TV Series (Hulu)

Season 5 Review

Leonard Nimoy was forever Spock. No matter how many other roles he played, he was always going to be Spock. He did such a fantastic job as Spock, he could never break away from the character.

For a while now, it was looking the same for Jon Hamm. He was always going to be the smooth operator Don Draper from Mad Men no matter what he did going forward.

I am glad to say Hamm's done it. He's broken the mold. As the bible-quoting, corrupt Sheriff Roy Tillman who takes possessiveness to the extreme, Hamm is as great a bad guy as he was an ad man.

And I want that jacket he wears. I found it online and am fighting temptation to buy it, but I probably will.

Now about the women in this series. In some movies and shows, you have your ordinary housewife who turns out to be an ex-CIA assassin with ninja knife-fighting skills and tactical expertise thrust back into action for one reason or another. It's become something of a trope.

In the Fargo series, the women are ordinary, until they aren't. But they aren't ninjas with previous training. They are just very docile women who transform into resourceful tigers out of necessity. They never give up, and anyone who crosses them lives to regret it. Each has their own form of insanity which makes for a very interesting show.

The heroine (Juno Temple as Dot) in Season 5 gives off a Sissy Spacek-as-Carrie vibe. All meekness and subordinate until you piss her off. Even as she fights back, she comes across as apologetic that she has to fuck you up.

As with the other seasons, there is a weird, totally unnecessary supernatural element in the character Ole Munch.

And even though I know its her, it is still difficult to see Jennifer Jason Leigh is Jennifer Jason Leigh in this show.

jon-hamm-fargo.jpg
My wife and I finished watching this series this evening.

Absolutely excellent. Really enjoyed it. We didn't like the supernatural BS but that was a minor part of the story.

If the Sheriff hadn't been such an asshole towards Dot and other people I would have been rooting for him to defeat the FBI goons.

All five seasons are superb. I like all of them almost equally.

In 5, Juno Temple is awesome in character.

The final scene in Episode 10 Season 5 is the finest piece of visual literature I have seen in years.

You can watch the series in any order you want.

Four seasons? I happened to catch an episode that featured a 1600's burial ceremony in Wales England and then an apparent ghost haunting the home of tow elderly people. WTF?
When I started this topic, there were only four seasons.

There are now five.

None of the characters in Season 5 are from any other season.
Good! Then when I eventually see those seasons I missed, I will be watching something new.

The show is amazing. Normally these shows are good because something good happens maybe twice during the whole show. Every scene in Fargo is interesting. The lawyer got shot, sheriff calls in the militia, son runs into the mobster, and you know what happened to him, cop got shot, sheriff gets visit from mother in law. Very fast paced tv show and lots happening. I absolutely loved it.

Forum List

Back