End religious tax-exemption

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
It might have made sense originally, but today religions are businesses in every sense of the word. Then sell cheaply-made bric a brac but call the cost 'planting a seed,' or a 'love gift' but it's commerce pure and simple. And especially given their inclination to get political and lobby lawmakers, so long as they wish to do that they should pay the same taxes as everyone else. There's no reason not to.

Megachurch charlatans bilk their congregations for millions then spend it on multi-millionaire dollar campuses, wear 3-piece business suits, and receive unprecedented salaries. Remember vows of poverty? Long gone.

It might have made sense originally, but today religions are businesses in every sense of the word. Then sell cheaply-made bric a brac but call the cost 'planting a seed,' or a 'love gift' but it's commerce pure and simple. And especially given their inclination to get political and lobby lawmakers, so long as they wish to do that they should pay the same taxes as everyone else. There's no reason not to.

Megachurch charlatans bilk their congregations for millions then spend it on multi-millionaire dollar campuses, wear 3-piece business suits, and receive unprecedented salaries. Remember vows of poverty? Long gone.
You're going to punish all the churches of America because a relative few abuse the system.
besides, where's all this new found money going to go, to the irs. ya that's a great organization that's more corrupt than any mega church itself.

You're going to punish all the churches of America because a relative few abuse the system.
besides, where's all this new found money going to go, to the irs. ya that's a great organization that's more corrupt than any mega church itself.

Never been in a church that didn't have crap for sale.

If people would do their jobs properly it wouldn't be an issue.
Like audits. Well done audits.
Same is true with a lot of problems in our country, once rules start to be "bended" when they are "broken" it's not as noticeable and people ignore them (think, illegal immigration...)

The only issue I have with Churches is how much the Pastors/Ministers etc. make.
WAY too much! Even for small churches

I don't know why you hate charity so much. Most churches, synagogues, etc, do great charity work with the money collected.

How much charitiable work could you do with $130 million?

How Robert Jeffress Justifies $130 Million Church Campus

"While a previous salary report in 2010 provided specific salary figures (the average salary for a lead pastor in a megachurch in the 2010 report was $147,000), researchers chose not to disclose the exact figures in the latest report that was made public. A second version of the report containing specific salary figures were given to survey participants."
New Report Examines Salaries of Megachurch Pastors

Can you justify $147k for a 'servant of God?'

"Creflo Dollar Will Get $70 Million Gulfstream G650 Jet Says Church; World Changers Board Says It Is 'Necessary' for Ministry"
Creflo Dollar Will Get $70 Million Gulfstream G650 Jet Says Church; World Changers Board Says It Is 'Necessary' for Ministry

Clergy used to exercise humility and poverty as virtues. Can you imagine a Fransican monk saying he needs a $70 mil private jet?

I don't know why you hate charity so much. Most churches, synagogues, etc, do great charity work with the money collected.

How much charitiable work could you do with $130 million?

How Robert Jeffress Justifies $130 Million Church Campus

"While a previous salary report in 2010 provided specific salary figures (the average salary for a lead pastor in a megachurch in the 2010 report was $147,000), researchers chose not to disclose the exact figures in the latest report that was made public. A second version of the report containing specific salary figures were given to survey participants."
New Report Examines Salaries of Megachurch Pastors

Can you justify $147k for a 'servant of God?'

"Creflo Dollar Will Get $70 Million Gulfstream G650 Jet Says Church; World Changers Board Says It Is 'Necessary' for Ministry"
Creflo Dollar Will Get $70 Million Gulfstream G650 Jet Says Church; World Changers Board Says It Is 'Necessary' for Ministry

Clergy used to exercise humility and poverty as virtues. Can you imagine a Fransican monk saying he needs a $70 mil private jet?

So you found a few that make a lot of money and due to that you think all churches should lose their tax-free status? Did you think about the pastors who receive no pay or very little pay? Did the good works done by those churches factor into your decision at all?

The only issue I have with Churches is how much the Pastors/Ministers etc. make.

So how much do you think they make and how much do you think they should make?

From my experience and knowledge, even the smallest churches (200 or less members) the Pastor makes over $90k a year. If you are really living for God, you should be willing to live in a very basic manner. A church is not really a "business" in the secular sense.

A true man of God will live minimalisticly in the best interests of his church and congregation, not making much money and giving of his self and time to others liberally......

From my experience and knowledge, even the smallest churches (200 or less members) the Pastor makes over $90k a year. If you are really living for God, you should be willing to live in a very basic manner. A church is not really a "business" in the secular sense.

A true man of God will live minimalisticly in the best interests of his church and congregation, not making much money and giving of his self and time to others liberally......

my research has shown that the average salary is around $55K which is about right for a professional with experience. I don't know where your $90K came from. Also, that's the average and a large amount of pastors either work for no or little pay due to the size of the congregation.

Your ideal pastor sounds good but I don't find it reasonable. Many pastors make very little and receive no benefits like health insurance, etc.

my research has shown that the average salary is around $55K which is about right for a professional with experience. I don't know where your $90K came from. Also, that's the average and a large amount of pastors either work for no or little pay due to the size of the congregation.

Your ideal pastor sounds good but I don't find it reasonable. Many pastors make very little and receive no benefits like health insurance, etc.

When it comes to matters of God, there is no reasonable. there I only living for God.
$55k sounds fair

55K tax free and free housing , nice deal

Alaska town is right to tax churches

Estimates vary, but studies show exempting religion from taxes in America costs the taxpayers between $71 billion and $83.5 billion a year, according to the New Civil Rights Movement. For comparison, America’s food stamp program costs about $75-80 billion a year.

Giving churches special tax exemptions violates the separation of church and state. By providing a financial benefit to religious institutions, government is supporting religion.

A tax break for churches forces all American taxpayers to support religion, even if they oppose some or all religious doctrines:

No church property is taxed and so the infidel and the atheist and the man without religion are taxed to make up the deficit in the public income thus caused.

- Mark Twain

Alaska town is right to tax churches

When it comes to matters of God, there is no reasonable. there I only living for God.
$55k sounds fair

Ok now how about those pastors living on almost nothing? Is that ok too? And if $55K is the average, is it ok for some to make $90K to balance it out? And why is it your choice what they make since you're not part of the congregation? Aren't they the ones who should make the decision?

I don't mean to get pissy with you but it seems like you made a knee jerk reaction and now don't want to think about the issues.

Tax Exempt Churches: Religious Freedom vs Tax Exemptions
Should churches receive tax exemptions on their property? Should religious organizations be tax exempt in their businesses - even those which compete with for-profit companies? Should individuals receive tax deductions for expenses at private religious schools? It is important to understand what sorts of exemptions exist, why they exist, and how the various court cases have proceeded. The more you know, the better informed your judgment will be.

Tax Exempt Churches: Religious Freedom vs Tax Exemptions

55K tax free and free housing , nice deal

Who said tax free and free housing? Did you know pastors pay tax on their income? Probably not.

$55k sounds fair

Ok now how about those pastors living on almost nothing? Is that ok too? And if $55K is the average, is it ok for some to make $90K to balance it out? And why is it your choice what they make since you're not part of the congregation? Aren't they the ones who should make the decision?

I don't mean to get pissy with you but it seems like you made a knee jerk reaction and now don't want to think about the issues.
So the taxpayer should subsidize their choice to become a religious shaman? , A witch doctor?

I currently live in the south also known as jesusland , seems every one and his brother claims to be a preacher, then they set up a shack for a church, call it a long name like "church of the true word of holy ghost anointing and four square primitive baptist slain in the spirit Church" and bingo!!! Then a few weeks later at church someone looks a someone else cross eyed leaves and starts their own church, and the property of the new churches are taken off the tax rolls. Taxes that are needed to fund schools and services in their town

Last edited:

$55k sounds fair

I just don't think a Pastor who claims to be living for God should live in luxury. Knee jerk or not, that is how I feel. I don't like the way Churches are organized and run in general - too much to go into here and it deserves it's own thread.....

For a Christian, materialism is death.

Forum List

Back