Economy grows for the third straight quarter

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The U.S. economy kept growing in the first three months of this year but at a much slower pace than at the end of 2009, according to a government report Friday.

Gross domestic product, the broadest measure of the nation's economic activity, rose at a 3.2% annual rate in the quarter, the Commerce Department said.

That's down from the 5.6% growth rate in the fourth quarter, and slightly below economists' forecasts for a 3.3% increase.

The report marked the third straight quarter of growth, confirming the view of many economists that the recession that started in December 2007 ended at some point in the middle of last year.

GDP Report: Economy grows 3.2% in the first quarter - Apr. 30, 2010

Damn! Three straight quarters of growth

That is Economic GOOD NEWS

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The U.S. economy kept growing in the first three months of this year but at a much slower pace than at the end of 2009, according to a government report Friday.

Gross domestic product, the broadest measure of the nation's economic activity, rose at a 3.2% annual rate in the quarter, the Commerce Department said.

That's down from the 5.6% growth rate in the fourth quarter, and slightly below economists' forecasts for a 3.3% increase.

The report marked the third straight quarter of growth, confirming the view of many economists that the recession that started in December 2007 ended at some point in the middle of last year.

So bad news is good news now.

What a change from the Bush years.

Yeah....things don't suck as much so we're doing great!!!

Last edited:

Positive Growth is always good news.

Just like three consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth under the former president (Hint: Booooooooosh) was bad news

Positive Growth is always good news.

Just like three consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth under the former president (Hint: Booooooooosh) was bad news

But for some strange reason this article is trying to spin that less growth then last year is a good thing. "Much slower pace then 09'". My reading comprehension is pretty good you know.

I'm just saying.

Last edited:
heres where "I want Obama to fail" shows it real face.

They wwant the country to fail so they can blame it on Obama.

It is more important to them to win politically than for the coutnry to win.

I hope the economy does work itself out and start more on the road to recovery... I do know, however, that the big government policies, higher taxation, government expansion and increased spending, etc are not helping the economy and are most probably hindering what could be an even more robust recovery

Getting unemployment to a 4-5% rate will be a recovery in my opinion. Comparing any economic indicator to 2009 is pretty sad. Some interesting stuff here:

While federal government spending increased 1.4%, that was outweighed by a 3.8% spending cut by state and local governments dealing with budget crises. That was the biggest decline in state and government spending since 1981

Looks like the stimulus money is done. State and local governments will show increasing cuts in the next quarter. I'm not sure consumers can make up the difference.

Growth was below forecast, and the increase was driven by consumer spending (read that - early Easter compared to 2009).

Where are the jobs?

I hope the economy does work itself out and start more on the road to recovery... I do know, however, that the big government policies, higher taxation, government expansion and increased spending, etc are not helping the economy and are most probably hindering what could be an even more robust recovery

Then you are a partisan idiot.

Commerse does not spend money differently because of it was once in government hands.

Your myths are dying and your ideas have failed.

You can persist with the idiotic lies about money and how commerse can smell the government taint on the bills but not many people are this stupid anymore.

Money is money and a corporation does not care about the hand it USE TO be in.

Commerse does not spend money differently because of it was once in government hands.

You can persist with the idiotic lies about money and how commerse can smell the government taint on the bills but not many people are this stupid anymore.

Well, maybe you are an expert on COMMERSE, whatever that is.

But money does have a different impact depending upon who earns it, invests it, and spends it.

The Stimulus package has largely been used to prop up state and local government jobs and for transfer payments. That doesn't create private sector jobs.

Well, maybe you are an expert on COMMERSE, whatever that is.

.But money does have a different impact depending upon who earns it, invests it, and spends it

The Stimulus package has largely been used to prop up state and local government jobs and for transfer payments. That doesn't create private sector jobs.

So money from one person invested in a stock will react differently from another person investing in the same stock?

You are bat shit crazy

Getting unemployment to a 4-5% rate will be a recovery in my opinion. Comparing any economic indicator to 2009 is pretty sad. Some interesting stuff here:

While federal government spending increased 1.4%, that was outweighed by a 3.8% spending cut by state and local governments dealing with budget crises. That was the biggest decline in state and government spending since 1981

Looks like the stimulus money is done. State and local governments will show increasing cuts in the next quarter. I'm not sure consumers can make up the difference.

Luckily the economy does not run on SL rules.

It is recovering and you dont want it too because your party will not fair well in the Nov election if the country improves by then.

It is improving and you will continue to call it not good enough right up until election day.

You care more about your party than youdo your country or fellow cuntrymen.

The velocity of that money is important too. Part of the reason more money is being pumped into the economy is the money isn't moving all that fast. Reductions in lending and use of credit along with folks holding back some cash is very telling.

So money from one person invested in a stock will react differently from another person investing in the same stock?

You are bat shit crazy

I don't know why I bother - I know you will never GROK anything, you dumb parrot.

But for the thinking people on the board:

The impact of government is that money is diverted from one activity to another. If taxes are spent on transfer payments, that money is not being invested in job creating activities for the private sector.

Luckily the economy does not run on SL rules.

It is recovering and you dont want it too because your party will not fair well in the Nov election if the country improves by then.

It is improving and you will continue to call it not good enough right up until election day.

You care more about your party than youdo your country or fellow cuntrymen.

Too bad the economy isn't running the way I'd like. We'd have more jobs. So, your happy with the economy? By the way, I'm Independent. Certainly against what the Democrats have done in the last year and three months, but open to a conservative change by the Democrats.

How many posters here have new credit cards or pre-approved offers?

Got three in the mail yesterday. Shredded them.

A large part of this economic recovery is being bought on credit cards AGAIN!!! THAT I can guarantee!!!!!!

I have received 8 offers from citibank for platinum MC's, 3 from Discover for platinums, several store credit cards and several from banks offering low interest 2nd's.

All shredded!!!!! The rest of you who took these offers without thinking of the financial consequences down the road are playing with fire.

Forum List

Back