Eating Healthy on a Budget

Gagafritz

Lady Germanotta Snicks
Dec 4, 2011
I have often heard it said that one cannot eat healthy foods on a budget or limited income. So, just wanted to see you thought would buy if you had a tight budget. How would you ensure a healthy diet for yourself and family?

th

*****SMILE*****

:)

I am not much of a gardener but have a bunch of green bell peppers and tomatoes growing. Going to make stuffed peppers this week. Yum.

There are discount grocery stores that have lots of frozen veggies for cheap. Stock up on it.
There are good sources of protein that cost less as well. Lesser cuts of beef, pork ect. Whole chickens instead of chicken breasts. And even hotdogs or ground beef can add a lot to meals. Stretch the meals with potatoes.

In my house (no kids) we eat low carb. I make creamed cauliflower in the Instant-Pot and its better than mashed potatoes.

th

Tomatoes
Onions
Radishes
Carrots
Bell Peppers
Bush Beans
Strawberries
Beets
Watermelons
Squash
Cantelope
Asparagus
Spinach
Basil
Oregano
Parsley
Sage

I have a place where I get apples and make 12 gallons of apple cider every year in trade.

Would rase more if had more room.

*****SMILE*****

:)

I have often heard it said that one cannot eat healthy foods on a budget or limited income. So, just wanted to see you thought would buy if you had a tight budget. How would you ensure a healthy diet for yourself and family?

Well, pork, beef and chicken.

And if the gun site is working...venison...

Rabbits n squirrels make good eatin', too.

Go fishing. :04:
Fish, rice, and a vegetable with milk.

I noticed you posted a Wally World grocery list in your thread that got nuked.

8/10 of those items are cheaper @ Aldi's.

Bag o' taters: $1.75

We have an Aldi's. Dont go there as much as i probably should. I disagree that junk food is cheaper. A bag of apples is pretty cheap.

You can buy an entire chicken for a reasonable price, roast it and eat if for couple days and then make soup out of the carcass. It's a very economical meal. They sell huge half turkey breasts at our grocery store. I can feed 4 people with that. Frozen veggies are cheap and healthy.

And, a 10lb bag of flour at Walmart is $2.24. There are 34 cups of flour in a 10lb bag. An avg loaf of bread is about 3-4 cup. You can make 8-10 loaves of bread with flour, water, a small amount of yeast, salt and a bit of shortening. I have a 2lb pouch of yeast in my freezer. You can make bread for pennies. It really isn't that hard when you get the hang of it.
A 2lb pouch of yeast is 32 oz. Those yeast packs are 2 1/4 teaspoons = 0.25 ounces. This pouch is the equivalent of 128 of those small yeast packets they sell at the store.

Aldi's is a great place to shop to save some coin.

I do a lot of shopping in the produce section, and I cook stuff from scratch, instead of looking for convenience foods. Produce is the cheapest stuff IN the supermarket.
Anyone who says you can't eat healthy on a tight budget doesn't know what they're doing.

It helps if one puts in the effort of checking sale papers and going to different places for better prices. And using coupons. It may be more work, but that doesn't make it impossible.

You can buy an entire chicken for a reasonable price, roast it and eat if for couple days and then make soup out of the carcass. It's a very economical meal. They sell huge half turkey breasts at our grocery store. I can feed 4 people with that. Frozen veggies are cheap and healthy.

And, a 10lb bag of flour at Walmart is $2.24. There are 34 cups of flour in a 10lb bag. An avg loaf of bread is about 3-4 cup. You can make 8-10 loaves of bread with flour, water, a small amount of yeast, salt and a bit of shortening. I have a 2lb pouch of yeast in my freezer. You can make bread for pennies. It really isn't that hard when you get the hang of it.
A 2lb pouch of yeast is 32 oz. Those yeast packs are 2 1/4 teaspoons = 0.25 ounces. This pouch is the equivalent of 128 of those small yeast packets they sell at the store.

Basic staples are pretty much always cheap, and are generally a bulk buy, because you're not going to use them all in one meal.

Even if you don't want to make yeasty bread, you can make biscuits and flatbreads and tortillas.

Buy sale items in bulk, and then prep and store them. Basically, eating healthy on a budget just means learning the skills that used to be common to every housewife in the days before microwaves and convenience foods.

There are discount grocery stores that have lots of frozen veggies for cheap. Stock up on it.
There are good sources of protein that cost less as well. Lesser cuts of beef, pork ect. Whole chickens instead of chicken breasts. And even hotdogs or ground beef can add a lot to meals. Stretch the meals with potatoes.

In my house (no kids) we eat low carb. I make creamed cauliflower in the Instant-Pot and its better than mashed potatoes.

Sound like a lot of fun at a party.

Don’t use lard (Crisco?) in your tortilla press. 10 mil huge Mexican illegals in CA are living proof. Lord, I pity the toilets in those rentals. Beans and lard.

This is all great guys.

Now go get that poor person outta his food desert and over to the nice side of town where the discount stores are. Then teach him to bake bread. Then for an encore you can take him out to the countryside and teach him how to hunt.

This is all great guys.

Now go get that poor person outta his food desert and over to the nice side of town where the discount stores are. Then teach him to bake bread. Then for an encore you can take him out to the countryside and teach him how to hunt.

Food desert? Nice side of town where the discount stores are? Clearly, your mommy needs to take you grocery shopping with her once in a while. The poor areas of town are loaded with discount stores. The rich side of town, not so much, because rich people don't shop in them. Also, you don't need "discount stores" for anything that's being mentioned. I buy my groceries at branches of the same damned supermarkets that are in EVERY neighborhood in town.

It's noticeable that your default is ALWAYS "do things for people, because I assume they're incapable of doing anything without instructions".

This is all great guys.

Food desert? Nice side of town where the discount stores are? Clearly, your mommy needs to take you grocery shopping with her once in a while. The poor areas of town are loaded with discount stores. The rich side of town, not so much, because rich people don't shop in them. Also, you don't need "discount stores" for anything that's being mentioned. I buy my groceries at branches of the same damned supermarkets that are in EVERY neighborhood in town.

It's noticeable that your default is ALWAYS "do things for people, because I assume they're incapable of doing anything without instructions".
Totally and completely wrong. Did you make it all up or have you just never left your house?

This is all great guys.

Totally and completely wrong. Did you make it all up or have you just never left your house?

Oh, WELL, if the likes of you just declares that I'm "totally and completely wrong" without any evidence, I'm sure we'll all . . . utterly ignore it even faster than we usually ignore your posts.

Forum List

Back