Early proponent of Woke Education Mourned

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
A Pittsburgh Woman's obit appears today in the local birdcage liner. The article provides an anecdote from her tenure as the head of the "upper school" (high school) at a posh Pittsburgh private girls school. Rather than link the entire article, most of which is irrelevant, I will give you the details...

Joan Franklin’s 17-year tenure as head of the upper school at Winchester Thurston was rife with important life lessons, but perhaps none more so than the time she found a wrapped condom on the floor outside the cafeteria at what was then an all-girls school.

Mrs. Franklin kept her cool — and turned what could have been an alarming and embarrassing moment into an eminently teachable one, recalled former student Elizabeth Wollman.

“Somebody dropped it on the floor and Mrs. Franklin found it. She stood on a milk crate as everyone was swirling around her, leaving the lunchroom for class in a raucous rush, and she held it up in the air and started shouting, “ ‘This is so responsible! This is so wonderful! I am so pleased!
’ "

So here we have - assuming it was not just a prank - evidence of casual sexual promiscuity in a $20k/yr private girls school. I think most would agree that it is a "teaching moment."

I'm not sure I've ever seen a better example of the stark contrast between Left and Right.

But remember what the Lefties are constantly telling us: There's no politics taught in schools. (although this is not a public school).

If your daughter went to this school, would you be pleased with the "head" of the school?

Kids have sex- nothing new- and believe me, conservatives do too.

A Pittsburgh Woman's obit appears today in the local birdcage liner. The article provides an anecdote from her tenure as the head of the "upper school" (high school) at a posh Pittsburgh private girls school. Rather than link the entire article, most of which is irrelevant, I will give you the details...

Joan Franklin’s 17-year tenure as head of the upper school at Winchester Thurston was rife with important life lessons, but perhaps none more so than the time she found a wrapped condom on the floor outside the cafeteria at what was then an all-girls school.

Mrs. Franklin kept her cool — and turned what could have been an alarming and embarrassing moment into an eminently teachable one, recalled former student Elizabeth Wollman.

“Somebody dropped it on the floor and Mrs. Franklin found it. She stood on a milk crate as everyone was swirling around her, leaving the lunchroom for class in a raucous rush, and she held it up in the air and started shouting, “ ‘This is so responsible! This is so wonderful! I am so pleased!
’ "

So here we have - assuming it was not just a prank - evidence of casual sexual promiscuity in a $20k/yr private girls school. I think most would agree that it is a "teaching moment."

I'm not sure I've ever seen a better example of the stark contrast between Left and Right.

But remember what the Lefties are constantly telling us: There's no politics taught in schools. (although this is not a public school).

If your daughter went to this school, would you be pleased with the "head" of the school?

Sex is going to happen (even at an all girls school) no matter how much abstinence you preach or how many Holy Bible scriptures you throw at young people.
No good getting outraged, even as a parent. I'd bet the talk going on amongst these girls at private school would make a sailor blush.

’ "

Attacking the dead this morning? How trumpian of you. Congrats at showing no class. She is dead. Get over the fact that she lived a middle class life and had admirers. Did not you ever learn to leave the dead be? They cannot hurt you anymore.

Tuition is 31k not 20k. BTW, this is not as expensive as the better prep schools in the country tend to be 50-60 grand a year.

You should get out more. Maybe you need to be woke?

’ "

Attacking the dead this morning? How trumpian of you. Congrats at showing no class. She is dead. Get over the fact that she lived a middle class life and had admirers. Did not you ever learn to leave the dead be? They cannot hurt you anymore.

that poster is an idiot

he has no clue how big the world is and how little he is

a TRumpist scum bag

Hold on before you talk about "the stark contrast between Left and Right." Many people posit that not having sex before one is married and then having sex only with the person to whom one is married is the standard of sexual "morality." Then many celebrate people like trump, who has bragged about violating this norm constantly. Many celebrate violating this norm in their own lives. According to this standard, virgins marry virgins and then go at it.

One cannot take this seriously until we take into account the fact of this society and many others that there is a double standard that operates to judge people by their gender in applying and refusing to apply this norm to their sexual lives. In the real world, there is no standard of sexual morality.

In the context of the real world, this woman was instructing her students as to how to have safe sex.

The only reason why the OP is highlighting this is that this woman was the head of a girls' school. How about a boys' school? The U.S. military services before they became gender integrated? The U.S. military worried about STDs long before gender integration, even during the Civil War. Why would this have happened since everyone already knew of this standard of morality?

The only people who have standing to criticize this woman are people who themselves have followed the standard of being a virgin until married and then having sex only with their spouses. I will leave the problem of divorced and re-married persons for a later discussion.

Forum List

Back