DU - A true Weapon of Mass Destruction

Kathianne said:
Thanks Hobbit! Hey, what about the bone chip in my pointer finger? That's from a jr. high incident, different boy, same response. :laugh: He slammed my locker on the finger. :cry: Still can see the bone chip, on the pointer, above the palm with the graphite! :teeth:

Trust me folks, jr. high is rough! :p:

Sounds like it was roughest on your suitors. :spank3:

GunnyL said:
Sounds like it was roughest on your suitors. :spank3:

I physically hurt, no one! Damn. For such a 'sweet thing' I got roughed up a bit! Well at least my right hand. :laugh:

Kathianne said:
I physically hurt, no one! Damn. For such a 'sweet thing' I got roughed up a bit! Well at least my right hand. :laugh:

I'm sure you were quite subtle in your rejection. Throwing an ID bracelet across the room. :happy2:

GunnyL said:
I'm sure you were quite subtle in your rejection. Throwing an ID bracelet across the room. :happy2:

jr. high is not the time for 'subtlety' from boys or girls. Want to know a repercussion, a story I DO tell my jr. high students?

Sip of wine, the boy who's ID bracelet I threw? One who quite a few girls, for good cause wouldn't have much to do with? He committed suicide, during the summer before high school.

Talk about heavy burdens. Luckily we had excellent intervention teams, (I'll admit it, came from very wealthy school district, 1969.) Much less PC than now. What could we be 'expected to do' with a boy who's parents sent him to school in 'electrician pants' from Sear's catalogue? This is when boys were wearing tight Levis. This kid was wearing polyester! (So it was ok to be mean to him? Too bad he offed himself.) I'm telling you, it's only recently that I've forgiven myself, in the sense that I know I was only 12 years old and didn't realize how devastating this could have been for him.

Like I said, in a 'talking way' I share this with my students, making sure they understand that their actions can have reactions, they might not contemplate beforehand. At the same time, to act their age, means that sometimes they'll act in ways that can cause others to act in ways that in a few years, they wouldn't. Tough lesson. Confusing lesson-for all of us.

Kathianne said:
jr. high is not the time for 'subtlety' from boys or girls. Want to know a repercussion, a story I DO tell my jr. high students?

Sip of wine, the boy who's ID bracelet I threw? One who quite a few girls, for good cause wouldn't have much to do with? He committed suicide, during the summer before high school.

Talk about heavy burdens. Luckily we had excellent intervention teams, (I'll admit it, came from very wealthy school district, 1969.) Much less PC than now. What could we be 'expected to do' with a boy who's parents sent him to school in 'electrician pants' from Sear's catalogue? This is when boys were wearing tight Levis. This kid was wearing polyester! (So it was ok to be mean to him? Too bad he offed himself.) I'm telling you, it's only recently that I've forgiven myself, in the sense that I know I was only 12 years old and didn't realize how devastating this could have been for him.

Like I said, in a 'talking way' I share this with my students, making sure they understand that their actions can have reactions, they might not contemplate beforehand. At the same time, to act their age, means that sometimes they'll act in ways that can cause others to act in ways that in a few years, they wouldn't. Tough lesson. Confusing lesson-for all of us.

Kids are cruel, but most not intentionally so. I'm actually surprised that in 1969 his attire was an issue. I don't recall who wore what from where being an issue when I was in jr high in the mid-70's. I never really had any name-brand clothing until I figured out how to drag the lawnmower around every Saturday and bought my own with the proceeds.

Funny you mention Levi's though. That is about the only name brand I recall any of us wishing for.

GunnyL said:
Kids are cruel, but most not intentionally so. I'm actually surprised that in 1969 his attire was an issue. I don't recall who wore what from where being an issue when I was in jr high in the mid-70's. I never really had any name-brand clothing until I figured out how to drag the lawnmower around every Saturday and bought my own with the proceeds.

Funny you mention Levi's though. That is about the only name brand I recall any of us wishing for.

All I remember was 'Levis, Wrangler, and Hang Ten'-they were must haves. Converse tennies.

Living in Chicago, girls clothes labels: Bonwit Tellers, Josephs, and Marshall Fields.

Kathianne said:
All I remember was 'Levis, Wrangler, and Hang Ten'-they were must haves. Converse tennies.

Living in Chicago, girls clothes labels: Bonwit Tellers, Josephs, and Marshall Fields.

Hang Ten .... LMAO ....haven't heard THAT in years.

GunnyL said:
Hang Ten .... LMAO ....haven't heard THAT in years.
Told you so! That was part of the reason I couldn't get too upset with my kids wanting Hilfinger or something like.

GunnyL said:
Wasn't Hang Ten like THE original surfer brand name with logo? :rotflmao:

I haven't a clue. I was in jr. high in upscale Chicago suburb. Had to have brand. :funnyface

Then again, so were Mary Quaint cosmetics and Yardley's, 'Love' so I am no one to cast stones at the 'consumerism' of today's youth.

The only kid I was ever slighly mean to was this huge kid who was seriously like shrek amongst the elves. He could take on like five of us at once. We would stand around him in a circle, all practicing our martial arts sidekicks. He could flick us off like fleas. The teachers never even stepped in. Now that I think about it, I'm sure they must have spoken to him about his immense size and the responsibility it entailed. If I could go back, I would have befriended him and used the alliance to take over the schoolyard, kind of like an Israel/US alliance. His name was Mickey, and his jowls looked like bologna.

Forum List

Back