Don't fall for PayPal's phishing techniques.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Several times now I have received an email in my WORK email from my private PayPal account that is tied to my private email address.
That is already a problem. Because I have never used my work email with PayPal so how did they know it?
Secondly, I haven't used PayPal in at least 10 years. At least.
The email is "Your June PayPal statement is available".
Like I said, I haven't used PayPal in many years. There is no statement.
But then I noticed in tiny writing under the large bold button that says "Login to see Statement"... were these words..
'By clicking the above link, I agree to receive advertisements and other emails to this email address".

Fuckers.

Everybody is looking for identifying info. A drive through convienence store nearby started asking for my phone number every time I buy something.

Several times now I have received an email in my WORK email from my private PayPal account that is tied to my private email address.
That is already a problem. Because I have never used my work email with PayPal so how did they know it?
But then I noticed in tiny writing under the large bold button that says "Login to see Statement"... were these words..
'By clicking the above link, I agree to receive advertisements and other emails to this email address".

Fuckers.
Did you look at the actual email address it came from? Odds are, it wasn't from PayPal. They wouldn't phish you.

Fuckers.

I stopped using paypal when they went woke.

Did you look at the actual email address it came from? Odds are, it wasn't from PayPal. They wouldn't phish you.
yes - it was from this address -

[email protected]

The hyper link went to - click.email.paypal.com
Both are from the domain paypal.com
The IP address of the sender is 13.110.227.121
Which whois is - salesforce.com
Aha you might say... but PayPal partners with salesforce CRM and is integrated with salesforce.com

It came from PayPal

yes - it was from this address -

[email protected]

The hyper link went to - click.email.paypal.com
Both are from the domain paypal.com
The IP address of the sender is 13.110.227.121
Which whois is - salesforce.com
Aha you might say... but PayPal partners with salesforce CRM and is integrated with salesforce.com

It came from PayPal
OK. I stand corrected. I've reviewed my various emails from PayPal and the addy is consistent.
How they got your business address, I don't know. Perhaps you used it as a secondary at some point?

I did notice going back through my emails that they changed their domain in October, 2022 from mail.paypal.com to emails.paypal.com

OK. I stand corrected. I've reviewed my various emails from PayPal and the addy is consistent.
How they got your business address, I don't know. Perhaps you used it as a secondary at some point?

I did notice going back through my emails that they changed their domain in October, 2022 from mail.paypal.com to emails.paypal.com
Probably has to do with salesforce.com
It may be that "real" emails come from mail.paypal and soliciting comes from emails.paypal
It pisses me off that they are "phishing" of sorts. They say "here is your statement" which implies you have activity. And probably only send it to people who have no activity... tricking them into clicking "See your Statement" - when Paypal knows there is no statement, but in reality all you are doing is confirming the email address and giving them permission to spam you.
Bad business practice. It is not ethical

Forum List

Back