Dogs - surgical stop of bark?

That's called harassment, and it's generally frowned upon.

Yes, but it would make me feel better, before the arrest at least....
Anyway, I think it's sick. What's next? Removing a Cat's claws so they can't scratch your precious furniture?? .....oh wait....

Seriously though, send me the number.....

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me exactly how it's abuse to reduce a dog's bark...

But not abuse to cut his nuts or her fallopian tubes.

When you said he is aggressive and dominant.

And...saying that he is aggressive and dominant means I don't address it?

Oh, ok. :cuckoo:

If you had addressed it he would not longer be aggressive.

Nope, wrong again.

"

• Parson Russell Terriers are often aggressive with other dogs if they are not neutered or spayed. This small terrier is well known for same-sex aggression and aggression towards other breeds of dogs. One should be wary about permiting more than two PRTs to stay together unattended. I can recount numerous stories of disastrous results of such folly. For example, one woman left four intact female PRTs at home in the house while she went shopping. When she returned home, she had three dead PRTs and one live one the six-month-old puppy of one of the dead bitches."
PRTs are well known for aggression, it's a breed trait. I would never leave a PRT with another dog her own size or smaller; I would never leave her alone with ANY size of terrier. The only dog I can leave her alone with is my saint bernard, and only outside. Otherwise they tear the house apart, and anything smaller she'd either kill...or would kill her.

It doesn't go away. You can control it, but you aren't going to *fix* it.

"Taking a PRT off lead is always a dangerous situation, unless you are in a safe environment with secure boundaries. "

JackRussellPups

Right now I take her on walks every day. We go fast, and we go late when we aren't likely to see other dogs, because when she sees other dogs she tries to get them. She has done this all her life. She's had the training but ultimately, this is her. I can have her 100 percent focused on me and being obedient...and the second something changes she's right there. When we see other dogs we just keep going and she's fine once we're past, but for as long as we're approaching and passing, she's barking, hitting the end of the leash, trying to get to them. Once we're past we're onto the next thing.

It's funny because I run into other parson/jack owners and they're in the exact same boat, lol. They park their cars in isolated areas and scope out the area to make sure there are no other dogs around before they get out. We wave at each other, from a distance, and laugh. This is the deal, it's what they are. You recognize it and embrace it and deal with it, or you're going to end up with a dead terrier and all sorts of other dead animals.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me exactly how it's abuse to reduce a dog's bark...

Canine devocalization should only be performed by qualified, licensed veterinarians as a final alternative after behavioral modification efforts to correct excessive vocalization have failed.

Animal Welfare AVMA policy - Canine Devocalization

You were evasive when I inquired about alternative methods and started attacking me. Your defiance shows you have something to hide.

And...saying that he is aggressive and dominant means I don't address it?

Oh, ok. :cuckoo:

If you had addressed it he would not longer be aggressive.

Nope, wrong again.

"

• [FONT='Comic Sans MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Parson Russell Terriers are often aggressive with other dogs if they are not neutered or spayed. This small terrier is well known for same-sex aggression and aggression towards other breeds of dogs. One should be wary about permiting more than two PRTs to stay together unattended. I can recount numerous stories of disastrous results of such folly. For example, one woman left four intact female PRTs at home in the house while she went shopping. When she returned home, she had three dead PRTs and one live one the six-month-old puppy of one of the dead bitches."[/FONT]
PRTs are well known for aggression, it's a breed trait.

It doesn't go away. You can control it, but you aren't going to *fix* it.

"[FONT='Comic Sans MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Taking a PRT off lead is always a dangerous situation, unless you are in a safe environment with secure boundaries. "[/FONT]

JackRussellPups

If you are the pack leader, they will listen to you. That's the key.

She is getting better, though. It's a long-term thing. They're really long lived...and the older they get, the better they get. But you have to make accomodations for them, because they aren't like labs, and saints, or even German Shepherds. Pit bulls are easier to deal with...a pit's first instinct is to do what his owner wants him to do...that's hardwired in them. A parson's first instinct is to kill.

Canine devocalization should only be performed by qualified, licensed veterinarians as a final alternative after behavioral modification efforts to correct excessive vocalization have failed.

Animal Welfare AVMA policy - Canine Devocalization
You were evasive when I inquired about alternative methods and started attacking me. Your defiance shows you have something to hide.

Ho hum, I was right, you're a nutcase. I wasn't evasive about anything, loon.

Somebody has a jack russell terrorist!?

Willow does.
I have a Parson Russell Terrorist.

My cuz has Rat Terrorists.

My son has a Pit Bull Terrorist.

Of them all, mine's the most terrifying....I think the pit is probably the sweetest. I don't know Willow's, he's still a pup...but he'd be hard pressed to be sweeter than Snooper Pooper.

Last edited:
034.jpg

This is what we were doing last Friday.

Last edited:
Ho hum, I was right, you're a nutcase. I wasn't evasive about anything, loon.

Quoting the AVMA makes me a nutcase? That's rich.

Here's some more insanity for you:

The Parson Russell Terrier is a cheerful, merry, devoted, and loving dog. Spirited and obedient, yet absolutely fearless. Careful and amusing, he enjoys games and playing with toys. Stable Parson's are friendly and generally kind to children. Children should be taught not to tease or hit the dog. They are intelligent, and if you let them take an inch, they can become willful and determined to take a mile. It is paramount that you are this dogs pack leader. He needs to be given rules to follow, and limitations as to what he is and is not allowed to do. Do not let this little dog fall into Small Dog Syndrome, where he believes he is pack leader to all humans. This is where varying degrees of behavior problems will arise, including, but not limited to guarding, snapping, separation anxiety, and obsessive barking. They are highly trainable, able to perform impressive tricks. They have been used on TV and in the movies. However, if you do not show authority towards the dog , they can be difficult to train. They need a firm, experienced trainer. Parsons who have been allowed to take over can be aggressive with other dogs. Some have killed or been killed in dog fights. Be sure to socialize the Parson. They have strong hunting instincts (stronger than your average terrier) and should not be trusted with other small animals. They like to chase and explore. Be careful not to let them off the lead unless they are very well-trained. Parson Russells like to bark and dig. They tend to get restless and destructive if not kept fruitfully occupied and well exercised. Parson Russells climb, which means they can climb over a fence, they also jump. A Parson that stands 12 inches high can easily jump five feet. JRTs are not the breed for a inexperienced dog owner. The owner needs to be as strong-willed as they are, or this little guy will take over. With the right owner the Parson can really excel, but is not recommended for those who do not understand what it means to be a dogs true pack leader. Parsons who are mentally stable, with all of their canine instincts met, will not display these negative behaviors. They are not traits of the Parson Russell, but rather human brought on behaviors, which are a result of inefficient leadership, along with a lack of mental and physical stimulation. They will thrive with a job to do. The Parson Russell Terrier must present a lively, active and alert appearance. It should impress with its fearless and happy disposition. It should be remembered that the Parson Russell is a working terrier and should retain these instincts. Nervousness, cowardice or over-aggressiveness should be discouraged and it should always appear confident.

Parson Russell Terrier Information and Pictures, Parson Russell Terriers

I'll go take my psycotropic meds now. :badgrin:

Forum List

Back