Does Ted Cruz have Dual Citizenship?

SuperDemocrat

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
I've heard that this was true on another website. I don't know how accurate it is but his mother was canadian and he had, at one time, canadian as well as American citizenship. Is this true?

His mother was an American citizen, he was born in Canada. Canada like the US has birthright citizenship, so yes he held dual citizenship. Doesn't alter the fact that he was born a US citizen.

I've heard that this was true on another website. I don't know how accurate it is but his mother was canadian and he had, at one time, canadian as well as American citizenship. Is this true?

His mother was not Canadian, but she lived there when Ted was born, so he had dual citizenship, until he gave up his Canadian citizenship.

Ted Cruz held dual citizenship all the way up until 2013 when he started to think about running for president.

And, as long as Donald the Chump keeps bringing this up, it's gonna start to wear on him, and he's going to have to do something to get this story off his ass.

• Banned

His mother was not Canadian, but she lived there when Ted was born, so he had dual citizenship, until he gave up his Canadian citizenship.

So he did have dual citizenship at one time in his life?

Here's a link that says when Cruz finally got rid of his Canadian citizenship.....

It's official: Ted Cruz a citizen of the U.S. - and the U.S. only - CNNPolitics.com

Yes, Cruz did have dual citizenship, but according to what he told CNN, he thought that because he hadn't lived in Canada since he was 4, he never really thought much about it. It was only when it came up when he was looking into running for president that he found out he actually was a dual citizen, and then took steps to get rid of his Canadian citizenship, and became a full US citizen.

Here's a link that says when Cruz finally got rid of his Canadian citizenship.....

It's official: Ted Cruz a citizen of the U.S. - and the U.S. only - CNNPolitics.com

Yes, Cruz did have dual citizenship, but according to what he told CNN, he thought that because he hadn't lived in Canada since he was 4, he never really thought much about it. It was only when it came up when he was looking into running for president that he found out he actually was a dual citizen, and then took steps to get rid of his Canadian citizenship, and became a full US citizen.

You're late, and that's a stupid, bias, link. He already had full U.S. citizenship

OK, but would that make him a natural born citizen? From the way I understand it natural born and being a citizen are two different things.

OK, but would that make him a natural born citizen? From the way I understand it natural born and being a citizen are two different things.
He was born naturally to his American mother the CNN link is shit:thup:

According to the Constitution there are only two ways to become a citizen, be born one, which Cruz was, or be a naturalized citizen.

He had dual citizenship at one time like many have pointed out, but because his mother was a U.S. born citizen ( Not Canadian ) he is eligible to run for President.

There will be some that will say he is not eligible and it might take the USSC to finally put this to rest, but until there will be the birthers on both sides saying he is not eligible, but I believe he is...

According to the interpretation of our laws, if you are born to an American mother, no matter where, you are considered to be a natural born citizen of the USA. But, some countries also grant citizenship to Americans born abroad to US citizens, which is what happened in Cruz's case.

Do I think he's a natural born citizen? Yes. Did he hold dual citizenship? Yes. I find it kind of hard to believe that he only found out about when he started to think about running for president.

Most people that I've known over my life who were dual citizens knew about it their whole life. In many cases, when they turned 18, that is the time that they had to choose. I don't know why Cruz kept his for so long.

Two different things according to whom?

How it has been interpreted, is that if you were a citizen when you were born, you are a Natural Born Citizen, if you become a citizen through the Naturalization process where you can be approved or denied, thus not a citizen when born, then you are not a Natural Born citizen.

Being born to an American citizen, you have citizenship from birth, no matter where you are born, so you are Naturally born a citizen.

Forum List

Back