Does Breast Cancer belong in the NFL?

I still gotta go with the Dude here.

No problem with Breast Cancer Awareness....but why the link to the NFL?

17 week season, we can have a different cause every week..

Breast Cancer, AIDS, Muscular Distrophy (gotta support Jerry Lewis), Autism awareness, Juvenile Diabetes, Alcohol awareness, Domestic abuse, Gun Safety (for Plax), Erectile Disfunction (for Steroid users).....

All are equally worthy of an NFL "Day"

Breast Cancer, AIDS, Muscular Distrophy (gotta support Jerry Lewis), Autism awareness, Juvenile Diabetes, Alcohol awareness, Domestic abuse, Gun Safety (for Plax), Erectile Disfunction (for Steroid users).....

And I expect that all would have their "day" if someone got off their butts and promoted the cause as hard as women with breast cancer did... So..are you guys angry that someone didn't do anything about the rest of the worthy causes, or are you angry that someone DID do something about one?

And I expect that all would have their "day" if someone got off their butts and promoted the cause as hard as women with breast cancer did... So..are you guys angry that someone didn't do anything about the rest of the worthy causes, or are you angry that someone DID do something about one?
That's the question, isn't it...

My objections are what has been laid out here.

Held up against the extremely strict edicts from the NFL about what was a "proper" way to pay tribute to Pat Tillman -an actual NFL player- vs. this display completely unrelated to anything dealing with footbal, the differences are both stark and instructive.

The problem as I see it is that activists think that they have a right and an obligation to interfere with everything. And, the NFL apparently agrees. Does anyone honestly think that even one person watching an NFL game doesn't already know about breast cancer, or any other type of cancer by the way, there are other types of cancer, you know;)

I have to listen to political types all day long, every day. Then , I want to watch an NFL game once a week, even though I don't like the way the league operates(but I deal with it). Then, I have to deal with activism even there. You're killing independant george!

My objections are what has been laid out here.

Held up against the extremely strict edicts from the NFL about what was a "proper" way to pay tribute to Pat Tillman -an actual NFL player- vs. this display completely unrelated to anything dealing with footbal, the differences are both stark and instructive.

Maybe that's the problem. You're only laying them out here. That doesn't seem to be accomplishing much in your favor..

The problem as I see it is that activists think that they have a right and an obligation to interfere with everything. And, the NFL apparently agrees. Does anyone honestly think that even one person watching an NFL game doesn't already know about breast cancer, or any other type of cancer by the way, there are other types of cancer, you know;)

I have to listen to political types all day long, every day. Then , I want to watch an NFL game once a week, even though I don't like the way the league operates(but I deal with it). Then, I have to deal with activism even there. You're killing independant george!

Activists have a right to take their plight to anyone who will listen. You have the same right to scream against it.

Great. You're both screaming.

Now what?

When Pat Tillman died for his country, he went way beyond anything the NFL could do for him. The NFL should stick to what it does (poorly), and stay out of other matters. Pat Tillman is another matter.

Activists have a right to take their plight to anyone who will listen. You have the same right to scream against it.

Now what?

I'll tell you what, I'll scream until the NFL stops this foolishness, or I'll stop watching. I'm already pretty close to not giving a shit about the NFL, the only reason it's an issue is because if I don't stop the activists now, when will I?

Now what?

I'll tell you what, I'll scream until the NFL stops this foolishness, or I'll stop watching. I'm already pretty close to not giving a shit about the NFL, the only reason it's an issue is because if I don't stop the activists now, when will I?

That's at least doing *something*, rather than just ranting an raving. Doing something is better than doing nothing.

I don't see this as any different than the 100 or so people that lined the streets in my tiny town to protest abortion. Great.. You're holding a sign up to tell people what you think, but what are you really *doing* to help stop it?

Maybe that's the problem. You're only laying them out here. That doesn't seem to be accomplishing much in your favor..
Oh, I've accomplished pretty much what I set out to do. :eusa_whistle:

What did you set out to do? Get someone that typically agrees with you to disagree with you? Great.. Now what?

You really haven't changed anything, and it's very likely you're still going to watch that game.

All the ranting and raving in the world on a message board isn't going to do anything to correct what you think is wrong.. In fact, it won't change a thing.

There's nothing football fans can do to stop breast cancer, or any other kind of cancer. The NFL is something that guy watch once a week, for 4 months. The only thing activists do by interfering in that is piss a lot of people off. Stay out of the guy stuff. That's all I ask.

I don't mind if they put a coffee can in my workplace asking me for a donation. I don't mind if they stand in the road at traffic lights trying to get my money. I don't even mind if they call me at home (during reasonable hours) asking for a donation. But, stay away from the NFL, and shame on the NFL for even agreeing to this politically correct bullshit.

But it's NOT a once-a-year thing...Both Mother's Day and the entire month of October have been hijacked, all for one strain of cancer, that isn't even the most malignant or widespread.

It's PC nagging, and anyone with a lick of intellectual honesty can see it.
mountains from molehills.

Has the pink really distracted you from enjoying the games? Is the awareness of breast cancer so egregious that you feel you have to be a dick and gripe about it? Would it make you feel better if there was no push to eradicate breast cancer?

Is football more important than human health?

Is it any wonder that when folks such as yourself start to bitch about something that isn't even that big a deal (the NFL Breast Cancer awareness program) you come off sounding like 1) the grouchy old man who will "keep that goddamn football the next time it lands in my yard!" or 2) the woefully ignorant hillbilly rightie who sees conspiracies in his can of Copenhagen and/or 3) a typical right winger who hates science, nuance, women who are not barefoot and pregnant.

take your pick.

Now what?

I stopped giving a damn about the NFL a while ago. I much prefer college football.

Now what?

I stopped giving a damn about the NFL a while ago. I much prefer college football.
It says you are from Washington D.C. A former Redskins fan perhaps? If so, I can't blame you!

There's nothing football fans can do to stop breast cancer, or any other kind of cancer. The NFL is something that guy watch once a week, for 4 months. The only thing activists do by interfering in that is piss a lot of people off. Stay out of the guy stuff. That's all I ask.

I don't mind if they put a coffee can in my workplace asking me for a donation. I don't mind if they stand in the road at traffic lights trying to get my money. I don't even mind if they call me at home (during reasonable hours) asking for a donation. But, stay away from the NFL, and shame on the NFL for even agreeing to this politically correct bullshit.

I'd say the guys and girls that watch it are probably pretty evenly matched by now.. So, breast cancer awareness is for the girls, and half nekkid chicks pushing their boobs up to their neckline while holding large beers is for the guys..

Problem?

Now.. have any of you actually petitioned the NFL, or even called them?

Or, is this the extent of your huffing and puffing?

I didn't know football was guy stuff.

Football is football...when I go to games there are just as many female fans.

Maybe that is what this is about. Women are okay as cheerleaders but as fans they should be ignored...at least that is what message I'm receiving from the dbags on this thread.

Forum List

Back