Does anyone speak Yiddish

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
I just had a eccentric thought that is was only 3 generations ago that my ancestors only spoke Yiddish and nothing else

Very unique language that mixed Hebrew with German

I thought it was Polish, and it was a dialect of eastern European Jews, not German Jews.

Ah, so it derives from 'high German', whatever that is. But ...

"Modern Yiddish has two major forms. Eastern Yiddish is far more common today. It includes Southeastern (Ukrainianā€“Romanian), Mideastern (Polishā€“Galicianā€“Eastern Hungarian) and Northeastern (Lithuanianā€“Belarusian) dialects. Eastern Yiddish differs from Western both by its far greater size and by the extensive inclusion of words of Slavic origin. Western Yiddish is divided into Southwestern (Swissā€“Alsatianā€“Southern German), Midwestern (Central German), and Northwestern (Netherlandicā€“Northern German) dialects. Yiddish is used in a number of Haredi Jewish communities worldwide; it is the first language of the home, school, and in many social settings among many Haredi Jews, and is used in most Hasidic yeshivas.

The term "Yiddish" is also used in the adjectival sense, synonymously with "Jewish", to designate attributes of Yiddishkeit ("Ashkenazi culture"; for example, Yiddish cooking and "Yiddish music" ā€“ klezmer).[15]

Prior to the Holocaust, there were 11ā€“13 million speakers of Yiddish among 17 million Jews worldwide.[16] 85% of the approximately 6,000,000 Jews who were murdered in the Holocaust were Yiddish speakers,[17] leading to a massive decline in the use of the language. Assimilation following World War II and aliyah, immigration to Israel, further decreased the use of Yiddish among survivors and Yiddish-speakers from other countries (such as in the Americas). However, the number of Yiddish-speakers is increasing in Hasidic communities."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back