Do you have Parental Envy?

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
How are you supposed to feel as a parent when your child surpasses you? I know the answer: You are not supposed to feel outdone at all. That's even the wrong way to frame it. You're supposed to feel pride and joy. You are supposed to brag and boast, maybe not too obnoxiously. You are not supposed to think for one moment about how you are being left behind. Because what matters is your child's great progress. He is becoming a whiz at something he's working hard to master. You cheer him along.

My son is better than me at baseball. - By Emily Bazelon - Slate Magazine

How are you supposed to feel as a parent when your child surpasses you? I know the answer: You are not supposed to feel outdone at all. That's even the wrong way to frame it. You're supposed to feel pride and joy. You are supposed to brag and boast, maybe not too obnoxiously. You are not supposed to think for one moment about how you are being left behind. Because what matters is your child's great progress. He is becoming a whiz at something he's working hard to master. You cheer him along.

Not me! There is nothing that my 4 year old can do that I can't kick his ass in.

I can throw a ball farther, run faster, kick a soccerball harder.

Plus, I also know all of my letters, I can count past twenty with ease, I know what antibiotics to use for pneumonia, and I can color within the lines.

I KICK ASS!!!

Not me! There is nothing that my 4 year old can do that I can't kick his ass in.

Plus, I also know all of my letters, I can count past twenty with ease, I know what antibiotics to use for pneumonia, and I can color within the lines.

I KICK ASS!!!

i doubt very much that you color within the lines

Hmmm, when the kids were little I read to them and mostly tried to play games at their level. As they got older, they began reading to me. As for the games, just like in the article, one knows when they are actually competing, it's at that point we do teach competitiveness and how it works as a motivating force as well as a measurement. LOL! Winning does count.

I suppose I've been lucky, my children's giftedness tended to be in areas we wouldn't compete in: music, math, drawing, soccer, golf, etc. While all but one has a good sense of history, all are above average writers and readers, they all will still ask me to proof important papers. By the same token, I ask them to do the same for mine, as I said they are good writers. When it comes to that exercise, asking for help with editing, especially about logic, I am proud, they know enough to know they'll never know it all.

Upon reflection the only competitiveness is between my daughter and I, and only in the area of winning 'arguments.' For some reason the boys will always just acquiesce. Guess it's a girl thing, at least in our little family. :lol:

I KICK ASS!!!

Are you house-trained yet though?

Forum List

Back