Do Robots have gender?

Robots do not have a gender but the do have a political party and a President of the United States who currently sits in the White House.

The recent alleged passing of The Turing Test has raised questions of its own. The test is an academic exercise of robotic intelligence to determine whether a high enough percentage of humans on a panel cannot discern whether that which is answering their questions is human or robot.

Some of the answers to test questions have raised questions of their own about whether robots can be thought of as having gender and, indeed, whether some can be homophobic:

Is the artificial intelligence bot that beat the Turing Test homophobic? · PinkNews.co.uk

The robot has a name: "Eugene Goostman has made the news recently, as he apparently became the first artificial intelligence to pass the Turing Test."

"When asked whether “he likes boys or girls”, Eugene sometimes responds “I am straight, not fag.”

Uh, oh.....a touch of the homophobe there?

"Among the responses given by the AI to the statement “I am gay”, were “relax, I am tolerant to gays”, and another, he says “If you don’t molest me, it doesn’t matter.”

At times he/she/it though the first name, "Eugene" does suggest at least a pretend maile (the question grows....) is ambivalent:

"If you tell him you’re straight he says: “Ummm. You’re straight? Very interesting. Well, let’s go on though.”
When told “I am transgender”, he says: “Fabulous!”

Ah well, it is, after all, not real but is its pseudo-parent teaching it some kind of -ism? This seems to be one case where we can definitely rule out any genetic links.

Problem with this story was the rest of the text mentioning only 1/3 of people believed it was human. Maybe that'd good enough for whatever terms the test specifies, but it's a far-cry from extending gender to the robot.

Currently, robots are a bit of a misnomer usually being glorified radio-controlled toys some human being is controlling. An autonomous robot acting on programming and deciding things for itself is long ways off. It might act independently because of programming, but that's not actual intelligence.

Mr. Data from Star Trek:TNG is a living artificial life-form, fully sentient despite being a mechanism. Nothing human beings have created yet is though. We might soon creazte somethng that meets a much lower bar of terms, but we're no where near creating sentient beyond our own species reproducing.

The recent alleged passing of The Turing Test has raised questions of its own. The test is an academic exercise of robotic intelligence to determine whether a high enough percentage of humans on a panel cannot discern whether that which is answering their questions is human or robot.

Some of the answers to test questions have raised questions of their own about whether robots can be thought of as having gender and, indeed, whether some can be homophobic:

Is the artificial intelligence bot that beat the Turing Test homophobic? · PinkNews.co.uk

The robot has a name: "Eugene Goostman has made the news recently, as he apparently became the first artificial intelligence to pass the Turing Test."

"When asked whether “he likes boys or girls”, Eugene sometimes responds “I am straight, not fag.”

Uh, oh.....a touch of the homophobe there?

"Among the responses given by the AI to the statement “I am gay”, were “relax, I am tolerant to gays”, and another, he says “If you don’t molest me, it doesn’t matter.”

At times he/she/it though the first name, "Eugene" does suggest at least a pretend maile (the question grows....) is ambivalent:

"If you tell him you’re straight he says: “Ummm. You’re straight? Very interesting. Well, let’s go on though.”
When told “I am transgender”, he says: “Fabulous!”

Ah well, it is, after all, not real but is its pseudo-parent teaching it some kind of -ism? This seems to be one case where we can definitely rule out any genetic links.

Gays tend to say they feel what gender they feel. No matter what class. Will robots have the same freedom? Or will they be less than human..

Well according to the Far Left members of this board, gender is now a choice not what you were born with.

At the same time they claim that sexual orientation is something you are born with and not a choice.

Forum List

Back