do gangster rappers hate the black community?

Said1 said:
I was beginning to worry, until the bolded part.

I cracks me up to turn on the TV and hear some really watered down funk jam going on and then see the cowboy hats and boots. Oh yeah, this is country music.

Or R&B. I love it when they mangle the national anthem with their vocal gymnastics, turning every syllable into an excruciating blur of arpeggios.

Generally speaking, when music exists solely to fill a commercial void, it sucks.

dmp said:
If I might be so bold...

Numbers don't impress. I've slept with...perhaps 50 women in my life. 3 were there kinds of encounters dreams were made of. I could have had just those three and known more about women than the other 47 combined.

I don't think ANYONE cares if you like rap or not - just please, show the maturity to 'no-like it' for the right reasons.

OK here's why I don't like it. The music is produced by machines, not humans. The "vocalizing" is unmelodic and the tone of voice is monotonous. The subject matter of the lyrics is irrelevant unless you live in the ghetto or in some way identify with that lifestyle, which I don't. It advocates violence and degrades women, two things I don't relate to. And every time I have seen it performed live it has been some sad specimens screaming along with a DAT machine and taking up time and space that could be used by musicians.

Maybe those are bad reasons, but they are my reasons.

Nuc said:
OK here's why I don't like it. The music is produced by machines, not humans. The "vocalizing" is unmelodic and the tone of voice is monotonous. The subject matter of the lyrics is irrelevant unless you live in the ghetto or in some way identify with that lifestyle, which I don't. It advocates violence and degrades women, two things I don't relate to. And every time I have seen it performed live it has been some sad specimens screaming along with a DAT machine and taking up time and space that could be used by musicians.

You're talking about one or two types of rap...at most. Rap transcends a few musical styles. Digable Planets? Fantastic...nobody can say they are anything but musicians/artists. Think about this - strumming comes from a guitar - which is a tool for a human to use. Digital music is also created using tools - just with a key board rather than strings.

:)

Nuc said:
I have about 2000 CD's and 3000 LP's and I listen to every kind of music except rap. I don't like it.

I've forgotten more about music than you'll ever know.

I'm not insulting you because you like rap, don't insult me because I don't.
I'm insulting you no more than you're insulting me. Your I've-got-more-music-than-you piss fest is unimpressive.

dmp said:
Digable Planets? Fantastic...nobody can say they are anything but musicians/artists. :)

Yes they are, actually I am friends with one of the guys in that band. They are better than most because they actually play.

In previous eras there was a continuity between generations of black musicians. Once they dropped their instruments their range of expression became seriously limited.

The ClayTaurus said:
I'm insulting you no more than you're insulting me. Your I've-got-more-music-than-you piss fest is unimpressive.

You are the one who said I have preconceptions about what music is. I'm just saying that I have heard and enjoyed a wider variety of music than you even know exists. What's the big deal? :piss2:

Nuc said:

They're reasons of ignorance. Not all rap degrades women. Not all rap advocates violence. Stop letting popular culture define your art forms.

If you want examples of electronic musicians in general, I can break down exactly how what they do requires a high level of musicianship.

I don't care if you don't like rap music; just don't run around perpetuating stereotypes when you clearly don't even understand the intricacies of it. You look old. ;)

Nuc said:
Yes they are, actually I am friends with one of the guys in that band. They are better than most because they actually play.

In previous eras there was a continuity between generations of black musicians. Once they dropped their instruments their range of expression became seriously limited.
Who?

Nuc said:
You are the one who said I have preconceptions about what music is. I'm just saying that I have heard and enjoyed a wider variety of music than you even know exists. What's the big deal? :piss2:
There's no way you could have verified that. Although, I suppose if you get to decide what is and isn't music, you'd probably win.

The ClayTaurus said:

The black music scene. Although it's not entirely their fault or the fault of rap. A lot of the blame can be placed at the feet of the pharisees who stripped the schools of art and music funding. A kid with no instrument or training will never learn.

dmp said:
You're talking about one or two types of rap...at most. Rap transcends a few musical styles. Digable Planets? Fantastic...nobody can say they are anything but musicians/artists. Think about this - strumming comes from a guitar - which is a tool for a human to use. Digital music is also created using tools - just with a key board rather than strings.

He's a tradionalist, which is fine. I actually like a live backing band over a produced track any day. But that doesn't mean anyone who works a turntable is musically incompetent, or lacking in ability.

Digable Planets are good stuff, they sample a lot of Art Blakey and Sonny Rollins, in case you ever want to hear where their backing tracks come from.

Nuc said:
The black music scene. Although it's not entirely their fault or the fault of rap. A lot of the blame can be placed at the feet of the pharisees who stripped the schools of art and music funding.
No I mean, who do you know in DP?

The ClayTaurus said:
He's a tradionalist, which is fine. I actually like a live backing band over a produced track any day. But that doesn't mean anyone who works a turntable is musically incompetent, or lacking in ability.

Digable Planets are good stuff, they sample a lot of Art Blakey and Sonny Rollins, in case you ever want to hear where their backing tracks come from.

So they took those no-names and made their music GOOD. That's my favourite part of Rap - taking otherwise lame songs/music, and adding zest. :)

:D

dmp said:
So they took those no-names and made their music GOOD. That's my favourite part of Rap - taking otherwise lame songs/music, and adding zest. :)

:D
Oh Darin, those guys are anything but lame. It just adds a different flare to things. If anything, rap and hip-hop are a musical tribute genre. Most people don't understand the thought that goes in to what people sample for their records. It's a sign of respect. I don't mean sampling like Will Smith sampling Stevie Wonder to butcher out Wild Wild West, either. (You did know that was a Stevie Wonder song, right? Men In Black is a Patrice Rushen song.)

The ClayTaurus said:
Oh Darin, those guys are anything but lame. It just adds a different flare to things. If anything, rap and hip-hop are a musical tribute genre. Most people don't understand the thought that goes in to what people sample for their records. It's a sign of respect. I don't mean sampling like Will Smith sampling Stevie Wonder to butcher out Wild Wild West, either. (You did know that was a Stevie Wonder song, right? Men In Black is a Patrice Rushen song.)

I wrote 'lame' to get a rise out of you...it's no fun when you reply back cool and collected....very selfish of you, I'd say.

Nuc said:
Bryan Jackson the keyboardist. He used to play with Gil Scott Heron.
I had heard they reunited to go back on tour. I was sort of hoping for another album instead of a greatest hits repackage, but oh well.

Forum List

Back