Do Conservatives Think They Have A Monopoly On Truth ?

What a hilarious thread.
You alleged conservatives could give a shit about truth, look at who your leader is, a pathological liar! And you so-called lovers of the truth, never, ever call him on it. You don't care that he lies to you daily and not one peep out of your folks.
Consider this thread, ONE BIG FAIL!!
Next.
Lol
Says a Clinton supporter

What a lame article. Another academic Liberal trying too hard to sound intellectual and saying nothing.

If you read the article you'd know the author was a libertarian.

BTW: Liberals are cool....left wingers suck.
So why not address the points I brought up?

The obvious solution to the problems that are raised by the article are what I have proposed. Is it your liberal leanings and your desire for an oppressively huge police state that keep you from considering it?

I think you'll find I am huge proponent of a smaller federal government, following the constitution as it designed our limited federal government, think the idea of selective incorporporation is garbage, as is the current interpretation of the so-called supremacy clause.

As to addressing your points, I asked the question about thoughts on the OP. I can't really dispute his POV. I don't necessarily agree with it as being structurally correct.

But many conservatives are won't to do as he describes.

Conservatism or Liberty?

Moving to more general considerations, conservatism rests on a claim of privileged access to truth, whether through revelation or some sort of "practical reason" to derive rules of personal and interpersonal conduct—which really seems to boil down to a reverse engineering to justify personal preferences.

Admittedly, this is dissatisfying for those who claim to have a monopoly on truth and want to impose it through central planning. But humility calls for a prudent rejection of social engineering, as we simply lack the knowledge to impose better outcomes on others. Conservatism may very well be right in its assertions, but it very well might be wrong. There may very well be an eternal law—but our knowledge thereof is another question entirely. Confident claims of knowledge in the public square or the classroom are one thing, but using them as a grounding for coercive power is another entirely.

Can't argue with his POV.

I see it in many conservatives.

However, I am interested in what others think.
If Conservatives use Trump as their political,and ideological ideal, they will be ceding truth as a valued commodity.

But if Conservatives are true to their ideology, they would not be happy with the changes Trump is bringing. The spending bill breaks the argument over the deficit and the debt it brings. Tariffs were never part of the Conservative beliefs, Conservatives are free traders by nature.

So one must ask, are there still Comservatives in America, or have they been politically purged in favor of a cult of personality? If it's the latter, that particular personality has a rather casual relationship with the concept of truth.

Fair question.

I don't like Donald Trump. But I voted for him and would vote for him again.

Our system gave us two losers.

Even without her baggage, Clinton is farther away from I want than Trump.

That Trump is a moral (something that factors into conservative thinking) disaster is not enough to switch my vote.

I basically pulled the lever, went outside, and threw up.

Our political system has gotten pretty good at surfacing losers.

But, I also appreciate that people run for office. That Trump ran at all (who wouldn't prefer to just spend their millions....I would have a hard time) and yes it might be about ego.....nevertheless....he's there.

What a hilarious thread.
You alleged conservatives could give a shit about truth, look at who your leader is, a pathological liar! And you so-called lovers of the truth, never, ever call him on it. You don't care that he lies to you daily and not one peep out of your folks.
Consider this thread, ONE BIG FAIL!!
Next.

Nice, one dimensional argument.

Your conclusion was the big fail.

What would you expect people to do in the case of Trump's lies ?

I’d expect intelligent people not to vote for the guy in the primaries for starters.
Trump was the absolute worse candidate of all the GOP candidates. Trump isn’t even a real conservative, even though he plays one on TV.

I said "do about his "lies". He's in. And there is no lie that is getting him impeached (BTW: Please don't tell me you think Nancy Pelosi or Maxine Waters truly represent the democratic party).

He may have been the worst for your...but not apparently for many people (or they may have seen him as the better alternative.

You are correct. He is not a real conservative. I am not sure what he is.

But that ought to tell you something. In some ways, he represents the biggest rejection of the traditional parties yet.

Conservatism or Liberty?

Moving to more general considerations, conservatism rests on a claim of privileged access to truth, whether through revelation or some sort of "practical reason" to derive rules of personal and interpersonal conduct—which really seems to boil down to a reverse engineering to justify personal preferences.

Admittedly, this is dissatisfying for those who claim to have a monopoly on truth and want to impose it through central planning. But humility calls for a prudent rejection of social engineering, as we simply lack the knowledge to impose better outcomes on others. Conservatism may very well be right in its assertions, but it very well might be wrong. There may very well be an eternal law—but our knowledge thereof is another question entirely. Confident claims of knowledge in the public square or the classroom are one thing, but using them as a grounding for coercive power is another entirely.

If Conservatives use Trump as their political,and ideological ideal, they will be ceding truth as a valued commodity.

But if Conservatives are true to their ideology, they would not be happy with the changes Trump is bringing. The spending bill breaks the argument over the deficit and the debt it brings. Tariffs were never part of the Conservative beliefs, Conservatives are free traders by nature.

So one must ask, are there still Comservatives in America, or have they been politically purged in favor of a cult of personality? If it's the latter, that particular personality has a rather casual relationship with the concept of truth.

You also raise a good point....about spending.

However, what I see (can't say it is universally true) is that the attacks on Trump are so acute...that people are simply in defensive mode all the time.

The same was true with Obama.

We have big issues with spending (entitlements are a big problem) and nobody is talking about it. It is politically toxic.

Conservatism or Liberty?

How many lies has the nominal leader of the GOP been caught telling in the last year and a half?

Conservatives don't even really have a tenuous grasp of the truth, much less a monopoly.

Liberals don't either. It's an open question as to who is worse, and IMHO not worth the argument cuz nobody is going to agree on the answer.
Regardless, the op is a load of horseshit.

Conservatism or Liberty?

How many lies has the nominal leader of the GOP been caught telling in the last year and a half?

Conservatives don't even really have a tenuous grasp of the truth, much less a monopoly.

Yes, we hear it all the time.

Only problem is that you define what is a lie and what isn't.

Go fuck yourself.
I love how whenever the conservatives on this site can't really refute what you said they post a profanity-laced insult as if that will hide their abject failure to address the subject.

It would be funny if it wasn't just sad.

Conservatism or Liberty?

Conservatives can’t tell the truth so that’s an oxymoron

The zealots on both sides think they have a monopoly on the truth.

There is little difference between a right zealot and left zealot

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Conservatism or Liberty?

Liberals don't either. It's an open question as to who is worse, and IMHO not worth the argument cuz nobody is going to agree on the answer.
Regardless, the op is a load of horseshit.

You are typing without thinking....which is normal for you.

The OP is asking a question.

You are the one who if full of shit.

Conservatism or Liberty?

Yes, we hear it all the time.

Only problem is that you define what is a lie and what isn't.

Go fuck yourself.
I love how whenever the conservatives on this site can't really refute what you said they post a profanity-laced insult as if that will hide their abject failure to address the subject.

It would be funny if it wasn't just sad.

It is clear you have no training in reasoned argument.

You think you get to define the parameters by which you make your evaluations. But you don't. You can make your case (but you never do) and it goes from there.

This is just some cut and paste reply from an ignorant jackass who isn't even sure about what is being discussed.

You don't get to make up the standards. Got it.

Monopoly on truth? Why would the left bring up something like that unless they had a problem with the truth. FBI leaders told the truth when they indicated their desire for a soft political coup. Why can't we deal with that little truth?

Conservatism or Liberty?

Conservatives can’t tell the truth so that’s an oxymoron

Another fallacy from the left.

But why don't you point out the oxymoron....please.

That or admit you are stupid as Crepitus.

A key example to me of conservatives thinking they have a monopoly of the truth is Sean Hannity. When I can stomach to watch him, he bores me silly with his "this is the way it is" horseshit.

I like a lot of programs on Fox, but not his.

I used to enjoy "On the Record' with Greta. I thought one was more fair and balanced.

Monopoly on truth? Why would the left bring up something like that unless they had a problem with the truth. FBI leaders told the truth when they indicated their desire for a soft political coup. Why can't we deal with that little truth?

The OP quotes and indictment of conservatism. I don't agree it is universal. However, I do think that many conservative leaders act like they own the truth and don't need to be subjected to review.

There is no monopoly on truth.....libs choose to believe lies or simply have lost the capacity to delineate fact from fiction...…..

Forum List

Back